This Road Trips forum is for those who want to learn about a region by driving through it, experiencing the attractions, communities, and local culture first-hand. Here, we share suggestions, ideas, and tips known by locals or those who have already made the trip.
To get the most out of this forum, please take a few minutes to include some basic information in your initial forum post. Including the answers to the questions below will allow other travelers and Destination Experts to provide much more meaningful advice more quickly.
1. When are you traveling? – Time of year can make a difference on road conditions, weather, and may include major holidays that travelers may want to embrace or avoid.
2. What are your interests? – Would you rather hike in the mountains or sunbathe on a beach? Golf or visit museums? Cities or the country? Historical sites or amusement parks? You get the idea.
3. Who will be traveling with you and what are their ages? Does anyone have mobility issues? – This helps suggest age-appropriate destinations or activities.
4. How long are you willing to spend in a car each day? – For some countries, the travel distances can be great, and 8-12 hour travel days may be required to get from one destination to another. If that’s not for you, say so.
5. Do you have a list of “Must See” places and a list of “Nice to See” places? Often there isn't enough time to see all the things that we want, so a prioritized list will help. If you don’t have a list yet and are just looking for initial ideas or suggestions, that’s okay.
6. Which is more important: Hitting all of your “Must See” locations even if it means 8-12 hour driving days, or sticking to a rigid maximum 6 hour driving day and omitting a “Must See” location or two?
7. What is your budget for the trip? – How much are you willing to spend each day for lodging, meals, fuel, activities (e.g., amusement parks, museums, sporting events, etc.)?
Fellow travelers and Destination Experts can only provide you with suggestions, and it will be up to you to develop your final road trip itinerary based on your own research, travel preferences, and desires.
Enjoy your planning and exploring!