We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

Saint Louis...
1 post
Save Topic
Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

Hello all!

I am graduating in late December and my boyfriend and I are planning to take a road trip across the US. It is really the only time I have to take a road trip before I have to get a job. How bad is it to take a road trip in January? We are starting in Arkansas and heading to New Orleans, then Texas, then New Mexico and Arizona. We are not sure after that. Any helpful hints or suggestions would be awesome!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

How many days? As long as you stay in southern portion of country, it should be fun.

Is this a round trip (returning to St. Louis)? What do you want to see/do? Give some clues.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

The roads/highways in the states you mentioned should be okay for a road trip in January. And the advantage of January is that there will not be that oppressive heat that appears in Summer.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

I would only suggest that you have some flexibility in case weather gets bad - it would be safest to be able to stay put somewhere a day or two rather than driving through bad weather.

ktown

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

easy to find motels in the off season but some stuff will be closed.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,741 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

Hi Shelby B and welcome to TripAdvisor.

Agree with the above. Keep connected with some form of internet, and before you leave bookmark the state sites that tell you road conditions. For example, here is the one for Arizona:

http://www.azdot.gov/highways/index.asp

That way you'll know ahead of time if there are snow/ice problems. Be flexible :-)

If you want to post an approximate itinerary you will get some suggestions for routes and places to see. You're planning on covering a *lot* of territory so allow enough time!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

Elevation is what you need to be aware of. Phoenix? Lovely in January. Flagstaff? Could have a foot of snow.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

Panchopup is right. I've gotten snowed in at Gallup, NM on I-40 (it's about 6,000'). Albuquerque is about 6,000; crossing the continental divide on I-40 is about 7,200, and the south rim of the Grand Canyon is at 7,000.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,815 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

As the others have said, once you get into the southwest, the further south you stay, the less the risk. I-10 route less risky than I-40, but if you monitor the forecast you can divert as you travel.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,790 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

I 10 route is best and weather can be very nice in Houston, Galveston and San Antonio at that time of the year.

If you want suggestions for that part of Texas let me know- we've been several times in the winter.

10. Re: Is January a really bad time for a road trip in the US?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 14:19