We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dever to Rapid City Interstates or back routes?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
540 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Dever to Rapid City Interstates or back routes?

Hey guys looking at my map can either go I25 to I90 as straight forward 2 lanes each direction higher speed limit or branch off after Cheyenne to the 85 and is it a highway or state road

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,710 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dever to Rapid City Interstates or back routes?

US 85 is a federal route. That section of it is mostly two-lane (one in each direction) with a few stop signs and slow downs in small towns, but it's well-maintained with plenty of services. If you're interested in a back route to Rapid City, I would suggest you take I-76 east to Sterling, then CO 113 (state highway) to I-80, then US 385 north straight to Rapid City. It's more direct and you will save some miles. It sounds complicated in the description but, when you look at the map, it becomes obvious. The whole route is well-signed.

This route cuts through the "Sand Hills" region of Nebraska, on the vast and somewhat intimidating American Great Plains. It's an interesting region. I like this road, but I also really enjoy driving the Great Plains.

There's actually a very lonely national park on the way that you may be interesting, Agate Fossil Beds (http://www.nps.gov/agfo/). There's not much for services or conversation with other travelers, but it may be of interest if someone in your party is interested in fossils. On a smaller road, but it's still sealed and has a bit of traffic.

If you do end up on the interstates, I-25 to I-90 takes you pretty far out of the way. At the least, exit at US 20 and take that US 85.

2. Re: Dever to Rapid City Interstates or back routes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 09:18