We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip Report Midwest!

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
716 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip Report Midwest!

(JFK-Columbus,OH-Grand Rapids,MI-Chicago,IL-St.Louis, MO-Indy,IN-Cincy, OH)

We chose to fly to JFK because Brussels Airlines had a starting-promotion we couldn’t refuse: 840€ for a direct flight for 2 people Brussels-JFK. (we are Southern-Dutch, so Brussels Airport(Belgium)is the closest Major airport to where we live).

Comparing this to the 1400€ flying to Chicago( with a transfer at Heathrow), our minds where made up pretty quikly. We love to drive, and even with 1000 miles extra we would have saved 400€.

Day 1: After a 7,5 hour flight with Brussels Airlines we arrived at JFK. where we had to wait almost 2 hours to go through customs…. Next to the Airtrain, which took us from Terminal 1 to Federal Circle where all the Car Rental Offices are.

At National i asked for, and was given, a Crown Vic, which they considered a Premium Car…Hmmm last year we had the very same car at a different office, and they considered it a Full Size.

We were on our way for our 4 week roadtrip within 30 minutes.

Elements Hotel, Ewing, NJ---9 out of 10 points!!

Day 2: The next morning we were going to drive 500 miles on the Interstate to Columbus, OH.

First on to a Walmart to buy a styrofoame cooler, Coke and some snacks for on the road. This our 5th 4-week roadtrip through the US, and we always thought such a cooler is very handy.

Meanwhile strange things happened with our carradio: out of the blue, it turned itself on, or while on, it reset completly.

Courtyard by Marriot, Columbus Airport.---6,5 out of 10 points

Day 3: We parked our car at the COSI, and crossed the Scioto River and walked into Battelle River Park where the Santa Maria replica from C. Columbus is open for visitors. We followed the riverwalk and next walked into downtown where we admired the Ohio State Capital.

When back at our car we drove to German Village, which we thought, was nothing special, since we live 20 minutes from the real thing. Our next stop was North Market which was another disappointment because we were about the only people there. However, around the corner was Short North which was very nice stroll.

Day 4: The next day we drove to nearby open air Easton Mall, which we enjoyed very much. We spend a couple of hours shopping, and my CC came in very handy…..

From there we drove through Hilliard, where the Old Hilliardfest with food and music gave us another great hour or so.

We also took some pics of The Field of Corn and Chief Leatherlips, before heading to a Giant Eagle Supermarket(a must visit, i was told) and the Polaris Fashion Mall. Close to the Mall we ate a delicious, giant Greek pita Gyros at Greek Express.

To finish the day of, we had a very nice walk in Inniswood Metro Gardens.

Day 5: We drove to the Kenyon Uni. in Gambier where i talked to some Amish people who where selling their goods there. Very nice campus!! On our tour through Amish Country we were planning to eat at Boyd & Wurthmann in Berlin, but we stopped at Hershberger Farm & Bakery, where i had a huge cinnamin role and my wife a piece of pie….yummie!! I’me glad we ate at Hershberger, because Berlin was very crowded due to some BBQ-fest, and there was just no place o park the car.

The last hour we drove the Ohio Turnpike to our hotel.

Hampton Inn & Suites Toledo-Perrysburg—8,5 out of 10 points.

Day 6: We drove through some scenic roads through small villages with British names like Manchester, Chelsea and ended up at Pinckney State Recreation Area which was very nice to walk around and have a picknick. The weather is still very nice!

We passed through the town of Lansing(birthplace of Steven Seagal) which we didn’t like very much, and then passed Jordan Lake on to Wyoming, MI where i celebrated my birthday at a TGI Friday’s(i’me glad they didn’t sing for me ;-)) and a Cold Stone Creamery……oh God, the calories…

Hyatt Place Grand Rapids South---8,5 out of 10 points

Day 7: Today we’re going to explore the eastcoast of Lake Michigan and the Grand Rapids surroundings. First on to the lovely Reeds Lake where we parked our car at Rose's On Reeds Lake and had a wonderfull morningwalk. Then on to Rockford with it’s nice parks, dam and rapids, and Grand Haven where we walked up the pier and into downtown. It’s hot today, so icecream is required!

On our way from Grand Haven to Holland we had a tip from RoNo on this forum to stop at the Rosy Mound Natural Area and walk to the beach from there, which we did. It was a great walk indeed, and we had the entire white sandy beach almost to ourselves. Great tip, thanks for that!!

Then on to Holland, which, since coming from the Motherland, we had to see. It’s a tourist trap pur sang, but it was still kind of fun to see Dutch houses, Dutch flags and the typical stereotypes like wooden shoes, Gouda cheese and kroketten(not even close to the real thing) in Michigan, USA.

I sure hope the Americans don’t think we still live like that. It’s The Netherlands 100 years ago.

During our trip I noticed a lot people drinking Dutch beers like Heineken and Amstel. Does it taste better than the US-beers?

As last we visit the town of Saugatuck before falling asleep like babies in our comfortable Hyatt beds.

Day 8: Today were heading to what we considered the highlight of our journey: Chicago. We drove the Blue Star - and Red Arrow Hwy to Lake Shore Drive, and passed Soldier Field Stadium in Chicago. We had a beautifull view of the skyline from there.

There was a 100.000 people tech-convention in Chicago so we had one of the few rooms left.

Wynham Garden Hotel Buffalo Grove—6,5 out of 10 points

Day 9: We parked the car at the Rosemont station and took the Blue Line into downtown. The wethar is great, and Chicago was indeed the highlight of our trip!! What a fantastic city.

We strolled down the Mag Mile and visited the Signature Lounge of the Hancock Building on the 95th floor. I heard of people having to wait fora n hour to get a seating. Well, we were almost alone and had a great table next to a window…wow, what a view. Here we met the only other European (German)people on our trip.

We were also searching in vain for the statue of Marylin Monroe, but i was told she was removed. Pitty!

After visiting Navy Pier we walked along Lakefront and over Randolph Str to the Cultural Museum. (We did some great shopping and eating at Mariano’s: 333 East Benton Place).

Day 10: Time to visit The Loop. We got of the Blue Line at LaSalle and walked toward Willis Tower, which is an impressive sight. We admired the Chicago Theatre, Macy’s, James R. Thompson Center and Daley Plaza. Next we walked towards the START sign of Route 66 in Jackson Str and walked into Millenium Park, which we enjoyed a lot. Buckingham Fountain, Crown Fountain and of course The Bean aswell as several weddings, were all-in front of our camera.

Day 11: Again we took the Blue Line, and transfered to the Brown Line and exited at the Diversey stop. From there we had a great walk past Wrigley Field (where a game was on) and several nice streets with lots of shops and restaurants to Bryn Mawr where we took the Red Line back to The Loop. We walked about 7 miles this day, but it was worth it!

Day 12: Today we decided to shift a gear down, so we visited the Schaumburg Mall, and relaxed at he hotel. We had diner at the Cheesecake Factory in the Mall. Very good food!

Day 13: We visited some Route 66 landmarks on our way to St.Louis, MO: Rich & Creamy in Joliet,IL, Old Texaco Gas Station in Dwight, Il, Gemini Man, Shea’s Gasstation and we admired the wonderfull murals in Pontiac. We also visited the WW2 museum which is next to the old Fire Department, and we enjoyed talking tos ome WW2 vets. Very nice town, this Pontiac.

On our way to Bloomington, there was a dashboardlight flashing which indicated the trunk was open, which was not the case. Arriving at the Oak Ridge Cemetery with the tumb of abe Lincoln the cars interiorlight wouldn’t turn of. I decided to drive to the nearest National Office to switch cars which was at the Springfield Airport. I could pick any car from their fleet, but since this is a small airport, no big cars were available. I picked a Chevy Malibu with 10.000 miles on the clock, and that did the job just fine. A had plans to visit the State Capitol and Lincolns house, but had to skip those because of the carswitch.

Doubletree by Hilton Collinsville/St. Louis---8,5 out of 10 points.

Day 14: We parked the car and took Metrolink towards downtown St. Louis and exited at Arch/Lacledes. We walked towards the Arch and were amazed by it’s size and the strict security which resembled an airport, to enter it. We walked aroung the museum in the basement, but didn’t go up, because the wait was to long. We enjoyed our walk through the downtown area, Gateway Mall and Union Station with the amazing Marriot Hotel.

Day 15: We drove to The Loop at Delmar with their own Walk of Fame and Blueberry Hills(Chuck Berry). We had lunch at the Noodle Factory which was ok.

Next to Forest Park, where we walked for 4 hours including a visit to the beautifull and free Zoo and Art Museum.

Day 16: Today we planned a visit to the Chain of Rocks Bridge. Great to see this landmark. I made lots of pics. Next on to the Brussels Ferry at Grafton, IL and the Golden Eagle Ferry to O’Fallon with it’s coblestone streets. Nice! Made me think about Europe.

From here we headed for Augusta and it’s wineries. This was a lovely drive through hillcountry and the wineries with their mansions!

Next stop was the World Bird Sanctuary in Lone elk Park, which was free, but we donted a couple of bucks. Great to watch eagles, owls, vultares and even a cookabaroo closeby.

We drove by the Teppanyaki Grill & Buffet on Watson Rd (Chinese Buffet for 10$)and we thought we’de give it a go. Huge disappointment!!

Day 17: We parked our car at the St.Louis Basilica and made some beautifull pics inside. From there we walked up Maryland Avn and back to the Basilica. We stopped at Shapiros on Newstead Avn where we ate some great subs! Must!

The visit to The Botanical Gardens was nice aswell, although in september few things are blooming.

At the de Soulard Farmers Market we had some nice cherry turnovers, and our “must” visit to Ted Drewes we had some delicious concretes!!

Day 18: From St.Louis we took INT-64 and exited at Saint Croix, IN. From there we headed north via Hoosier N.F. , French Lick , West Baden Springs(fantastic renovated hotel) to Nashville, In. We walked for an hour or so through this lovely village.

Hyatt Place Indianapolis, IN--- 8 out of 10 points

Day 19: We parked our car at the Zoo and walked towards downtown while passing NCAA Hall of Champions, Medal of Honor Monument, State Library and the Indiana State House before entering Circle Center. Next we walked on to Soldiers Monument where we took the elevator to the top to enjoy a nice view. Then we heade on to the Indiana War Memorial Plaza, American Legion Mal land the Central Library.

We walked the Canal Walk, which is a very nice walk, back to our car.

Day 20: First thing this morning was to drive to Carmel, and we had a great time there because of the Fancy Fair that was going on there. We ate some great BBQ burgers!

We also enjoyed the open air mall Clay Terrace, where my wife did some serious shopping. After visiting the amazing het Indianapolis Museum of Art another great day had passed.

We ate a Pappa John’s pizza. We enjoyed the large hand tossed The Works pizza a lot!

Day 21: Another gorgious morning, and we headed towards Clifty Falls State Park which was very nice, even though the waterfall was dried up duet to the drougth period in the midwest. Madison was a bit of a disappointment. The town was completly deserted.

We followed the Ohio River to Cincinnati, and picknicked in a park just before entering Aurora, IN.

Courtyard by Marriot Hamilton, OH---7,5 out of 10 points.

Day 22: First thing we visited in Cincy was Findlays Market, but we were about the only people there. I took a Belgian waffle at the Taste of Belgium which was disgusting.

We walked through Washington Park to visit downtown. Some very nice murals on the way there. We also visited the Library and Fountain Square with the Carew Tower.

We walked to the Purple People Bridge which we crossed to end up in Newport on the Levee in Kentucky with it’s shopping center and Imax. After 2 hours we took the Tank Bus for 1$ each, who dropped us of at Fountain Square.

Day 23: After breakfast we headed for Ault Park. A very nice park with lots of wedding foto shoots. Next on to Hyde Park where we had some great(ers) icecream. We also enjoyed our visit to the free Cincinnati Art Museum, and the birthplace of 27st president: William Howard Taft.

We also visited Jungle Jims; my God, how big can a supermarket get?? We Europeans think Walmarts are big, but this one beats them all by a mile.

Tonight we had Thai Food.

Day 24: We visited Mount Adams for a fantastic view on Cincy although parking can be difficult. Next a very scenic drive through Mariemont, Milford(loved it), Mason, West Chester and last but not least Caesar Creek State Park where we spotted some deer. We thought Cincy’s downtown and it’s surroundings were kind of “shabby”, but the “outer” suburbs mentioned above, were one of the nicest area’s of our tour. We ate at the Texas Roadhouse in Milford which we enjoyed a lot.

Day 25: Today we had a long drive from Hamilton to Audubon in PA.(550miles). We enjoyed this drive because of the folliage colors. We thought we were driving through a painting, almost the whole route!!

Homewood Suites Valley Forge---8,5 points out of 10.

Day 26: This day we visited the Mall of Prussia, and again OMG, how huge can a Mall get. We visited lots of malls during our US visits, but this one…wow. We even couldn’t find our car when leaving. We went back to our hotel to relax and do some organising of our suitcases.

Day 27: Today we headed to our last hotel which was the same as our first: The Elements Hotel in Ewing, NJ which was the best hotel on our roadtrip although most of our hotels were very nice.

On our way to Ewing we visited the town of Princeton, wellknown for it’s wonderfull Uni and Campus.

At 3 pm we could check in online at Brussels Airlines, and again, we had the best seats.

Day 28: We left our hotel at 10am to ensure plenty of time to get to JFK. We had to return our car before 2 pm., so we had 4 hours to cover the 80 miles. I forgot to enter the Verrazzano bridge in my GPS and ended up in the Holland Tunnel….grrrrr i wanted to avoid that at all cost, and it still happened.

The short trip through NYC went reasonably fast, so we still were in time at the National Office at JFK.

Summary:

I made a planning upfront with the help of several people on this forum, and we almost visited all things on our bucket list.

Chicago was supposted to be the highlight of this visit, and it realy was!

We had very nice weather overall. An occasional shower in Cincy, that was it.

Almost all of our hotels were very nice.

We ate at TGI, Red Robin, Texas Roadhouse, Cheesecake Factory, Pappa John which we all enjoyed.

Scoops of icecream are very expensive in the US compared to Europe, while pints of icecream are much cheaper than in Europe…strange!

After 5 years of driving in the USA, i still hesitate at intersections and have the impression that even the Americans sometimes don’t know when a right turn is allowed on red light, or at what trafficlight to look when turning left. The 4-way stopsigns are strange for Europeans, but it works great in the US. US drivers are much more relaxed than European ones. I drove in NYC, LA, Chicago and a lot in Europe, so i can compare things quiet well, in my opnion.

We’re always amazed by the size of quiet a lot of American people. We have big people in Holland, but in the USA obesitas is a huge problem. We sometimes ordered food, and only managed half of it. We took the leftovers in a doggy-bag which we often gave to a homeless guy.

You think your gasprices are high! Think again; you pay half of what i pay in The Netherlands.

We always meet a lot of friendly people on our roadtrips, and this year was no exception.

You don’tnow what service is untill you’ve visited the US. We Europeans could learn a lot from the Americans.

We will visit the USA again next year…fors ure!!

Please excuse some grammatical and typo errors.

A special thanks to TranscendentalEye, RONO and all others who helped us to make this roadtrip an unforgettable one!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

Hi Lelici49,

Great trip report! I grew up in Chicago and lived for 17 years in a small town (Batesville, Indiana) about halfway between Indianapolis and Cincinnati before moving to the San Diego area.

I love it that you took the time to explore the American Midwest; so many from Europe just come to see the highlights on either coast or in the Southwest (Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc.).

I truly laughed out loud when I read your comment about Jungle Jim's International Market in the Cincinnati area! :-) That was one of my favorite places to shop, and I would willingly make the 45 mile drive to go there once or twice a month.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for sharing it with us! Any idea where next year's trip will take you?

Zed

P.S. I was thoroughly impressed with my first visit to the Netherlands in 2010 on a drive through northern Germany and BENELUX. Like our Midwest, it may not have had the mountains or canyons, but it was still very beautiful in its own way.

I spent the night in Spier near the Dwingelderveld National Park, having driven from Brugge.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

Fun report. Best parts were your comparisons of US to Europe.

Edited: 21 October 2012, 04:51
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

great report...no surprise chicago was the highlight of your trip:-)

what was the timeframe of your trip?

one correction, tho---it's not the "willis" tower---it's still the Sears Tower to many of us! it's kinda like trying to re-invent the wheel...

next year, if you plan to road trip the midwest again, very much consider doing a great lakes circle tour(s)... some us midwest folks in this forum are working on a traveler's article to be linked to this page that deals with driving around the Great Lakes (hopefully it will be linked soon...hint, hint to the powers that be)...

in the meantime, here it is:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-c183176/United-S…

Edited: 21 October 2012, 05:21
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

Lelici,

Very glad you made it to the Signature Lounge, one of my favorite places in the U.S., even with relatively reasonably priced cocktails given the view. If you, or anybody else, ever find a better or comparable high-rise lounge in the U.S., please let me know so I can add it to my bucket list.

A couple questions:

1) Did you speak in Dutch or English with the Amish in Gambier? What did you talk about?

2) Didn't you get some Jeni's ice cream at the North Market in Columbus? What did you like better -- Graeter's or Jeni's? I know, they are almost incomparable.

Loved your comments about Holland, MI. I wonder if they wear wooden shoes at home. I doubt it.

On the other hand, the Amish are the "real McCoys" as we used to say in the U.S. (interesting history about that term if you research it). If you drive through a stretch of Amish houses/farms, they are pitch black except for flickering gas lamps and an occasional outdoor security street light. Actually very pretty/different at night and great areas to see the stars on a clear night.

Still sorry you missed Cleveland. I'm more confident now you would have enjoyed it. It's like a very small Chicago compared to Columbus and Cincinnati.

To answer your question, Heineken and Amstel are not better than American beers, especially my favorite craft beers such as Great Lakes or Sam Adams.

I've never, ever heard anybody describe NYC drivers as "relaxed." Were you driving there on a Sunday morning? :-)

Did you know that Pennsylvania doesn't charge sales tax on clothing? That's why the King of Prussia Mall is so huge, as it draws shoppers regionally, especially from southern NJ. If you ever visit the Cleveland/Pittsburgh area, the Grove City Premium Outlets mall north of Pittsburgh is a similar story.

Thank you for the very detailed trip report! It's not surprising given the meticulous nature with which you planned your journey.

Had to laugh about Zed's comments about the Netherlands. My great memory of the country, traveling there as a young man, were of the pervasive red light (literally) districts, even in charmingly picturesque small towns among the cobblestone streets (don't worry, was traveling with a girl friend). Had a very small for the time F1.2 Olympus camera and was using ASA 400 film when it first came out. That camera would take great pictures at night with that high-speed film. Everybody warned me not to take pictures in Amsterdam's red light district, but did so surreptitiously with the camera held quickly in my hand at waist level. My favorite pictures ever. They were big hits back in the then relatively Puritan U.S. (a few weeks ago, saw a "Two and a Half Men" in prime time on ABC featuring a menage a trois with two men/one woman, and was most amused by the thought of how that program would have been received in the U.S. of my youth).

Also, I'm not personally a fan of Jungle Jim's, but many others enjoy it. I do prefer a Giant Eagle Market District (not a regular Giant Eagle) store compared to Jungle Jim's, although they are very different. Market District stores are only at Grandview Heights and Upper Arlington in the Columbus area. As for size and uniqueness, visit a Cabela's super store (not one of their pocket stores) for a shopping experience that truly amazes/amuses most foreigners. My favorite one is in Wheeling, WV.

Four weeks with only a few showers in Cinci definitely tells the story of this year's disturbing IMO drought.

Have you ever been to a Bob Evans chain restaurant? If not, add it to your bucket list. It and Wendy's are the largest chains to originate in Ohio, but Bob Evans is more unique (pies, sausage gravy, fried mush). If you get back to Ohio, try to visit a Dewey's Pizza, the best pizza chain in Ohio in the opinion of many.

If you get a chance to post some pictures, would love to see them.

Like Zed, I am curious where you'll end up next year!

Thanks again for taking the time to report back!

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
716 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

Thanks for taking the time to read my report, guys. I know i'me not the most fascinating writer, and i'me sure it's full of errors, but it's readable.

@zed1958-->You're correct of Holland being flat as a pancake. Once my dog ran away, and after 3 days, i could still see him run in the distance :-))

Belgium and especially Germany though are not. Closeby Maastricht(my hometown), there's the German Eifel, and in Belgium there's the Ardennen. But when driving the interstate you might think Belgium and Germany are as flat as Holland.

Spier and Dwingelderveld ? I had to look it up. I never have heard of both. Small hamlet close to Assen; you stayed at Hotel De Woudzoom or Schortinghuis.

I've never been in that area. Why did you go there?

@DAMcC22-->"Best part the comparison USA - Europe". That tells a lot about my fascinating writing....

@StrangeTripper-->We arrived sep 4th and left 2 october .

Great report. I'me interested in a Great Lakes tour, although it won't be next year. We're gonna explore another part of the US, although we're not sure yet on where to go.

@Trans-->We payed 15$ for 2 strawberry smoothies at Hancock, but it was realy worth it!!

I talked to Amish people in Gambier and at the Hershberger Farm & Bakery and asked them why they called themselves "Pennsylvania Dutch". They didn't know why, and i told them the story who, if i recall correctly, you told me: The are from German heritage, and when they moved to the US the people had some difficulty pronouncing the word Deutsch, which over time turn into Dutch. " Hmm, could be possible" was their response. I started in English with them, but eventually we talked German to eachother. The German they speak is kind of their own German language, but i always know what they meant, and they understood everything i said.

We had some Graeter's icecream, which was very good. This is the first time i hear about Jeni's, or i skip a line in your emails....

Yeah, we would have loved to visit Cleveland and Pittsburgh aswell, but although 4 weeks is pretty long, there's only so much you can squeeze in there. But we will visit the area again in the future, God willing!

The honking of the NYC drivers is a way of cummunicating. Drivers don't get out of their cars and want to beat you up, like i experienced in some European cities, like Rome, Paris or Amsterdam. Giving you the finger or honking, is relaxed behavior for me.. haha

Rent a car in any of these cities and you'll know what i mean.

Yes, we heard about the "no tax on clothes" in PA on our way back. That's why we picked a hotel close to the Prussia Mall(another German name!!). We came to the USA with both 18kg in our suitcases, and went back with 22,5kg. So that's about 16 pounds more...need i say more?

Ah, you visited the Amsterdam's red light district! The current major wants to close a lot of the red lights houses and coffeeshops, because he thinks it gives Amsterdam a negative image. There's a lot of drug- and human trafficking going on behind the curtains, in his opinion. But i thought it's always fun to walk those streets. Some guy came up to me, when i was walking there with my wife and daughter, and he told me we could get a family-discount...hahaha.

Another guy whisperd in my ear: "Hey, coke, heroine, hasjies , weed...". I said: "Ok, but in that particular order", and we both walked away laughing. FUN, but i'me convinced that tourist should visit my hometown Maastricht. They would enjoye it more than Amsterdam, i'me sure!

Talking about Puritan: I was told Marylin Monroe's statue in Chicago was removed because one could look up her skirt????

Yes, we've seen a lot of Bob Evans restaurants, but never got to visit one. There was always another small interesting restaurant just around the corner. A new chain we had never seen was Steak & Shake. We loved their shakes(peanutbuttercup, caramel), and visited them often.

We visited Wendy's ones, where we had the Baconator. Enough to give you a heartattache right there, but it tasted d@$ned good. I also loved their sodamachines with over 100 flavors. Awsome!

We're not sure yet on where to go next year. We always wait till January to make up our minds. That's when the airlines present their new scedules, and the best bargains are to be booked.

We're thinking about Seattle, Oregon, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton(ca)

Maybe from Denver via Bryce and Zion, and New Mexico to Texas....

Boston via Maine New Hampshire and Vermont(been there, but that;s some 25 years ago, and we loved the White Mnts) to Quebec..

Many options still open, but we're always looking for a nice mix of nature and cities, which can be found almost anywhere in the USA. Maybe next year we will extend our stay to 5 or 6 weeks, not sure about that either, though.

We love visiting the USA, but i guess you already had that impression...haha.

We don't know what it is, but each year i set foot on American soil, i tell my wife: "Honey, i'me home". Should i consult somebody???

I talked with a lot of Americans on our roadtrip, and most of them would love to visit Europe, whilest a lot of Europeans are attrackted to the USA...strangest thing. Hearing a strange accent, these Americans sometimes asked me where i'me from. When i told them i was from The Netherlands, most of them responded with "Cool, i always wanted to go there". Sometimes when i asked them if they knew where Holland is situated, or what our capital is, i got the strangest answers: Eh, near Norway or Sweden? Isn't the capital Kopenhagen or Helsinki? What? I know we're a small country, but i had higher expectations about geography knowledge of the average American ..haha.

Even New Yorkers didn't know their city was a 17th-century Dutch colonial settlement called New Amsterdam.

Anyway, we love the American way of life, their people,their nature, (most of) their food and we hope to visit all the states in the future.

Again, thank you all for reading my tripreport and your help on preparing our trip!!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

add a yellowstone/teton---->glacier----->badlands/black hills loop to your consideration list for next year.... if you go after labor day, the crowds die down....

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,452 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

As sort of a fellow European, I read your TR with much enjoyoment and entertainment. We too can relate to your comments about the size of things in the USA such as the malls, stores, buildings, and, regrettably, the people. We also love many if not most things American, such as the more relaxed way of life and lower prices for most things, but I was amused by some of your meal choices. While we eat in some of the chains you mentioned, those at the fast food end tend to be when we're in a hurry, or in some place without too much choice. We generally favour one off places so seek out Mom and Pop motels and family run diners, when we can.

We, too, love Chicago and plan to go back - but have a long list of parts of the USA we've never reached to cover first. We encountered Cincinnati over St Patrick's day so your experiences would have been much quieter!

A great read,

SWT

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
716 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

Yeah a realy beautiful trip, but it's a trip all by itself (1000 miles...). Maybe a bit too much of the same; no cities at all.

We were thinking: Denver to Rapid City, Yellowstone, Teton, Salt Lake, Zion, Bryce, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, El Paso, Big Bend NP, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth.

Just a thought; what do you think?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

Excellent TR Lelici. It's a pity you missed Boyd and Wurthman in Berlin. Not only for the food but esp for the waitresses ;) And to all. Dutch Country has nothing to do with The Netherlands. People from Southern Germany and Switserland but none from Holland and they certainly aren't talking Dutch.

I (not my DW) always try to avoid superstores. Hate WalMart and the like.

If you think Holland is touristy wait till you get to Pella Iowa.

Chicago is awesome indeed. Been to the R66 sign also but was not impressed by the neighbourhood. And you made a big mistake by not taking the elevator up the Arch. An adventure in itself. Did you miss the biggest ketchup bottle in East St. Louis? (Not a nice neighbourhood also though but Cahokia Mounds are worth visiting.

Of course you only scratched the mid west surface. We spent weeks in that area and weren't bored.

I consider that car just full size. Not premium. Our rental Lincoln Town Cars were premium and maybe you had satelite radio in the car . But we don't rent cars like that any more. Only full size SUVs.

O and btw, last time we flew New York (2011) we only payed

600,-- (Amsterdam-New Jersey, Phoenix-Atlanta-AMS). Brussels is pretty close to us as wel but we don't like the a/p

And to all who think Eifel and Ardennes are flat, try to cycle around there. Won't be easy.

If you need info on your next trip Levici, just let us know. We have been to 48 states, drove more than 100,000 miles in the USA and hopefully hit 49 and 50 next year. We also have been to eastern and western Canada on long trips.

And you are right, not all Americans know where Holland is. On the other hand I often ask friends if they can point out Nebraska and Maryland on the map. Nobody ever knows haha And do you happen to know the capital of Kansas??? Or California?

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roadtrip Report Midwest!

Overlapped:

RC-Yellowstone-SLC-Zion-Bryce-SF-ABQ-White Sands-Carlsbad-Big Bend-San Antonio-Austin-Dallas......

We have done that at least 5 times, prob more. I suggest to take 6 weeks the very least. September will be great.