We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
936 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

My family wants to rent a car and drive from central fl to whitefish, Montana this summer. It's just a one way road trip. We'll just fly back home. Any ideas on a fun route that might include some good mid-western colleges, historic sites, hiking and fun? We're not really into theme parks. We think about 7-9 days will be enough time living out of suitcases. We love great food so any great pit stops with BBQ, great pie etc. also appreciated. Thanks!!!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Hi Matissegirl,

Here's a possible route:

http://goo.gl/maps/CP1KY

Along the way you might stop at:

Stone Mountain, near Atlanta, GA

Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, TN

Nashville, TN and the Grand Ole Opry

Bowling Green, KY for the National Corvette Museum

Bloomington, IN for the beautiful Indiana University campus (rent the 1970's Indie film "Breaking Away" to check it out)

Champaign, IL for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (not as scenic as Bloomington, but still a good campus; also where I got my grad degree, so a little partial)

Springfield, IL for the Abaham Lincoln Presidential Museum and Library; Lincoln's home; New Salem

Amana, IA - a collection of seven small Amish villages

Ames, IA for the Iowa State University campus (nicer than Illinois; where I got my undergrad degree)

Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands in western South Dakota

Devil's Tower in northeastern Wyoming (Close Encounters of the Third Kind)

Yellowstone National Park

One other possibility is to follow the Lewis & Clark Trail west on the Ohio and Missouri Rivers:

http://www.nps.gov/lecl/index.htm

Hope that gives you some ideas to get started.

Zed

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Hi Matissegirl,

I forgot about the Loess Hills Scenic Byway in western Iowa:

http://byways.org/explore/byways/2187

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Before you finalize your plans, check the rental car costs carefully as one-way rentals like that are usually expensive if available at all. Have fun, should be a great trip.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Mammoth Caves Ky. St. Louis Arch. Bridges of Madison County IA plus John Wayne's birthplace in Winterset.. Corn Palace, Minute Man Missile site Wall. Wall Drug, Custer SP, Crazy Horse, Bear Country, Wind Cave, Jewell Cave, scenic routes in Black Hills, Custers Last Stand (Big Horn Battlefield), Bozeman, Lake Polson, Miracles of America Polson. Big Mountain Whitefish.

Think 7-9 days will be very short for all of that.

And there's the largest truckstop in the world along I80 in Walcott Iowa if you are interested.

Tet

USA
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

In Iowa and Illinois zed1958's route also takes you past (or near) Knox College, Galesburg, IL, Augustana College, Rock Island, IL, St. Ambrose University, Davenport, IA, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, (Coe College, Cedar Rapids, IA), Drake University, Des Moines, IA, (Iowa State University, Ames, IA), and more.

The University of South Dakota in Vermillion, SD is worth a stop if only for the National Music Museum. http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/

You will be hard pressed to visit many colleges in 7-9 dayss.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,111 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

We've driven this route from here in Atlanta- some suggestions-

Memphis- Graceland and Beale Street- I 20 and US Hwy 78

St. Louis- The Arch- I 55

KC- Truman's home and museum- I 70

Salinas, KS- Eisenhower's museum- I 70

Denver/RMNP- drive Trail Ridge Dr.- I 25

Yellowstone NP- will take a day to drive from RMNP to YNP

Whitefish/Glacier NP- I 15

Hiking can be found in RMNP, YNP and Glacier. Lots of history along this route and some colleges but don't really have time to see them imo.

I would also suggest checking one way car rental costs. Airports to check- Kalispell, Spokane, Bozeman, Great Falls and Missoula.

Good luck!!

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
936 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Thanks. Good stuff.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Can't help too much with the route having not driven most of it, certainly not in one stretch, but you mentioned pie ......

Depending on time of year - you said this summer, but I'm guessing you actually mean next, 2013 summer. In September, all round Whitefish and Glacier NP you will find lots of places offering home made fresh huckleberry pie from locally picked wild hucklerries - it's to die for!!!!!

SWT

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Cherries and cherry pies at Lake Polson. Till september....

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fl to MT- renting a car. 3 teenagers plus parents. Ideas?

Is one of your goals touring mid-western colleges for the teenagers' possible attendance?

In that case, you might want to include Ohio which has an abundance of great colleges. Hopefully, our Ohio DE will chime in.

If seeing colleges is a goal, are you more interested in state or private colleges?