We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

Hi my wife and I plus 4 kids are looking at doing the lds church history tour out east- maybe over 12 - 14 days - does anyone have a really good itinerary we can copy? We did the trip a few years ago no kids and are wanting to see as much as possible sensibly with a realistic budget with kids

We are also looking to drive la to salt lake to stay with family - and launch from there for our trip

Besides flying is the drive from salt lake thru to start the tour do-able? We can spare an extra 2 days on top of the trip if its not too arduous on top of the rest of the drive.

Any tips / help / advice is appreciated...

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

Google says its 1730 miles (27 hours of driving without stops) each way just between Salt Lake City and Cleveland.

Check out Kirtland here; note also Lake Metroparks Farmpark if you have young children:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

You might need two days just in Greater Cleveland for all of the LDS attractions. You could send private messages through TA to some of the LDS members who did the LDS church history tour and did reviews of Historic Kirtland for suggestions and advice (click on their names in the reviews).

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g50517-Activitie…

If you want a well located and budget place to stay in Cleveland, you might check out the Cleveland Hostel downtown, the only hostel in northeast Ohio and reportedly it can accommodate families. It's located 35 minutes west of Kirtland and is convenient to both Cleveland Hopkins airport and Kirtland.

If you fly, check Frontier Airlines, if they fly into Salt Lake City. I believe they just relocated (or soon will) their northeast Ohio hub from Akron/Canton to Cleveland Hopkins. Southwest also flies into Cleveland Hopkins.

Please do a trip report in this forum with suggestions/advice if you do this trip! Reviews of lodging/attractions also would be helpful, especially noting how your kids enjoyed this trip.

I know your trip may be tight, but Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is very good with some unique attractions (African Elephant Crossing, Rainforest, working animal hospital/surgery center, largest collection of primates in U.S. with its monkey island). You also might check out Presque Isle/Waldameer Park (see discussion/links in TA "Cleveland: Day Trips" travel article above), just off I-90 and just west of Erie, PA, on your way to Palmyra.

Obviously you will be close to Niagara Falls. You'll need passports to enter Canada for the best viewing opportunities from Table Rock, but you can take the Maid of the Mist from the U.S. side. You also now can take the Whirlpool Jet Boats from Lewiston, NY.

Good planning!

Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

Thank you

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

This was a great trip report from a few years ago:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g36426-i6952-k3741…

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

Trev, Nauvoo obviously is the outlier geographically, especially if you don't drive from Salt Lake City. If you wanted to follow the Mormon migration chronologically, you also might consider flying into Buffalo or Rochester, then heading west, flying home out of Chicago or St. Louis. You would incur a drop charge on a rental car, perhaps less if you fly out of Chicago.

If you do travel east to west on your road trip, consider taking I-71 to I-70 on your way to Nauvoo.

This would give you an opportunity to visit the excellent aviation history attractions in Dayton (the U.S. Air Force National Museum and Huffman Prairie Flying Field have no admission charges), and the wonderful Lincoln Museum in Springfield, IL. This way you also wouldn't have to back track to Chicago if you decide to fly out of that city.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

The Columbus Zoo also is very good, sometimes ranked among the best in the country.

If you did fly into Cleveland before heading to NY state, the best route east to avoid back trackng would be across Ontario if you have passports. You could visit The Henry Ford, which includes Greenfield Village, in Dearborn south of Detroit. Then either head to Chicago and fly out of St. Louis, or drop down to I-70 and loop back up to Chicago after visiting Nauvoo.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

Our big trip to see the sights back east was part of a much longer trip with a baseball tournament included. The main places we saw in a one way drive back home over about 10 days. So I can't help you much with a two way trip in 14 days. But it does sound ambitious to me. Also ours was in the summer and we mostly camped to cut down on the costs.

How old are your kids? Will they be able to handle the very long driving days you'll need to get between each place? Plan at least 2 10 hr days from SLC to Nauvoo.

Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

Thanks guys yep - teenage kids with our baby being 8 - they should be ok - is the drive out of slc cool - Rockys etc? If so that'd be part of the fun - we were maybe thinking the train?

Level Contributor
45 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

The air museum looks great - thank you - my boys are very keen

8. Re: LDS church history tour April 2013 - nauvoo palmyra etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 10:17