We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Road Trip

Leeds, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Road Trip

Hi

We are going to America for our Honeymoon in April and just wanted to ask a few questions with regards to driving around in America, as it's not something I have ever done before.

We are flying to Las Vegas for 5 nights at the MGM Grand, before picking up a car from Vegas Airport and heading to Anaheim. We're there for two nights before driving to the West Coast to stay in Pismo Beach for three nights before driving all the way back from Pismo Beach to Las Vegas.

So, how easy is it to pick up the driving over there and are there any major tips that might sound obvious but we might have missed out on.

Also, thinking about Maps for the driving...obviously we don't want to use our iPhone/iPad as the data charges would be astronomical. Are there any other cheap ways to do it without buying a Sav Nav, or would you say just printing out a shedload of maps would be the cheapest option?

Cheers guys!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

Hi, and congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials.

You may want to look at this thread which covers most of the main points.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k44203…

To be honest, if you can drive on our congested roads you will pick it up in no time, once you get used to driving on the right and using an automatic vehicle. Anaheim and the greater LA area may be a bit of an eyeopener with the multilane highways depending on what time of day you get there.

Left turns at signals are the ones to mind re. hazards, sometimes they have a dedicated turn signal, sometimes they don't so you need to look for the signs, often on overhead or signal gantries. Four way stops and turning riht on ared light are covered in the thread, ( watch for peds if its allowed).

The route you are following is a pretty basic easy route really. You could just print out the map and directions from Google maps. Sat-Nav!......bah, a map will do fine, but you can rent one with the car if you wish?

Google route to Disneyland.

http://goo.gl/maps/m8VHp

Are you doing Pismo beach all the way to LV in one hit? Pity, it might have been easier and more scenic to have continued up the coast to San Francisco to fly home.

Edited: 19 November 2012, 17:50
2. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2012, 18:03
Edited: 19 November 2012, 18:03
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

Oh yeah, Las Vegas Airport rental center is south of the airport, not far off Las Vegas Boulevard south (what is the Strip further north). The taxi driver should just turn right out of MGM, left onto LVBS and then south about 2 miles and left before or after the I-215 interchange. It is signed as Rental Returns at one junction.

Make sure the taxi driver does not long haul you either going there or to MGM from the airport. Just tell him/her 'MGM, via Swenson and Tropicana, no tunnel thankyou!' Should be about $15-$17 max with a tip from Terminal 3.

Edited: 19 November 2012, 18:03
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

Me again.

Scanned through that thread and a couple of things you will come across around the Interstate and Freewaynetwork around LA and Anahiem.

Lane drops at junctions. The right hand lane will almost always become exit only at junctions, often accompanied by a lane gain for the on coming traffic but not always, and many drivers will just swoop across anyway, so best stay in the centre lanes unless you are approaching your junction. Undertaking is not illegal, and appears compulsory around some cities so just let them get on with it, you don't need to move right if its multilane, but do on two lane Interstates and Highways. You'll have a long run of that on I-15 heading towards LA from LV.

HOV or 2+ lanes. These are for vehicles with two or more passengers only, often time restricted to peak hours, which you can use. Good at busy periods but again watch if you approaching your junction as weaving lengths are short and if it's busy it can be hard to get across, especially if it's six or more lanes!!

Edited: 19 November 2012, 18:32
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

Lane drops at junctions. The right hand lane will almost always become exit only at junctions in urban areas, I should have clarified.

And I must learn to spell Anaheim!!

Edited: 19 November 2012, 18:35
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

What's the idea for 3 nights at Pismo Beach? Prob not beachweather in april and the Pacific will be too cold to swim in. Have you thought of driving to Death Valley NP and from DV to Las Vegas or do as Valiant has said and drive to SF and leave from there?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

Hi and welcome,

Valiant gave you some great tips on driving in the US. One additional one is that here in California, there is a ban on using hand-held mobile phones while driving, as well as a ban on texting while driving. You can check the laws in other states here:

ghsa.org/html/…cellphone_laws.html

Remember, too, that individual cities can enact their own cell phone usage laws, so it's just best to not use the phone while driving at all.

Also, when you arrive here, you can purchase a Rand McNally road atlas at a Walmart or Target or bookstore (or I'm sure you can find one online at Amazon or even RandMcNally.com) that will be very helpful for you. It costs around $14 and is about 15.5 inches x 10.5 inches. Or, you can buy individual state and city folded paper maps for about $6-$8.

Finally, my last trip to Vegas, I used a shuttle to get me from the airport to the Mirage on the strip. It cost $6 one way, which was cheaper than the taxi. (It took a little longer because it made stops at several properties along the way, but I didn't mind.) You can check out the shuttle services available here:

https://www.mccarran.com/Go/Shuttles.aspx

Hope that helps.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

One very, very small tip ... on the cab ride south on the strip to the car rental, ask the driver to pop into the Welcome to Las Vegas sign parking area .. it's just south of the Mandalay Hotel .. and have your pix taken under the sign. It's a photo you wont regret...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

There's a lot to do and see in the Las Vegas area but you'll need a car then (or take tours). You won't need a car if you stay close to the strip but I guess with 5 days you want to see more places.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon Road Trip

re. using maps without data charges, if you have an iphone I can recommend iGo North America map which is around $20 when on sale. It worked for us quite nicely coupled with the phone holder attached to the air vent of the car.