We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

Liverpool
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

....Death Valley

....Las Vegas

and The Grand Canyon

Hoping to travel early September 2013. Just the 2 of us and we've already provisionally organised accomodation for the above.

My question really is, is that viable to drive from one to the other during the days with just 1 stop at night?

At the moment, we leave San Fran, drive to Death Valley, stay the night, drive on to Vegas for 2 nights, on to the Grand Canyon for 1 night and then on to San Diego to drop the car off and spend a few days before moving on.

If this isn't a ridiculous notion, would anybody advise the best route?

Thanks everyone.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

I can't advise the best route, but I think that it really is a 'ridiculous notion'!

You do know that it's probably a 10 hour drive from San Fran to Death Valley. So you would just basically drive all day, get there after dark and spend the night.

OK so the next part is doable, a few hours to Vegas, so maybe spend the day in Death Valley and then head to Vegas late afternoon or evening.

OK so it's then a 5 hour plus drive to the Grand Canyon from Vegas, so leave very early morning and get there at lunchtime.

You've then got another probably 10 hour drive the next day to get to San Diego.

This may work for you, I wouldn't want to do it though!

Sorry if I wasn't actually any help here!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,440 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

It's a bit rushed but do-able. It's a lot of driving but you'll leave with a few memories. Yes, it's 9-10 hours from San Fran to Death Valley. You can explore a bit the next day. Then two hours and change to Vegas.

As noted, it's five hours to Grand Canyon. While one night isn't a lot, you'll get to see the Canyon briefly but no time to do anything. That's fine, we've taken plenty of folks there for a similar short visit. Then, as noted, a huge 10 hour + trek to San Diego.

If I would make one suggestion it would be to skip Death Valley, fly San Fran to Vegas then add a night in Grand Canyon and maybe even hit Joshua Tree/Palm Springs en route to San Diego for a stopover.

Also, do check to be sure you can drop a car in San Diego without paying a hefty fee.

Have fun.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

That's very helpful!

I'd still like to do that trip, just with a couple more stops along the way to split the drive up.

Thanks for your help, I'll get back to the map book!

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

gary 1878, google maps is your friend for planning rather than an actual map book!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

I do still love a good map book, but I know what you mean!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

Thanks for that, very helpful.

10 hours is too much and so I need to re-think that.

How about an over-night stop between San Fran and Death Valley? So approx 5 hours driving with a stop or 2 along the way and bunk up for the night. Any recommendations?

The 2 hours to Vegas the next leg is fine.

We've been to Grand Canyon before and so it's not an essential on the trip, so any advice on how long we should give ourselves from Vegas to San Diego and where to stop along the way if we miss out the Grand Canyon?

Thanks again.

Gary.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

Vegas to San Diego maybe 5 and a half to 6 hour drive. Barstow is a good mid way point for a stop and lunch.

If you want a half way stop between San Fran and Death Valley how about Yosemite?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

Okay, so...

San Francisco to Yosemite...approx 5 hours

Yosemite to Death Valley...approx 5 hours

Death Valley to Vegas...approx 2 hours

Vegas to San Diego...approx 5/6 hours

Does that sound about right?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

Hi Gary

Since much of your route is in California, I suggest you pop over to that forum and read the Top Questions. There is some great info about the drive from Yosemite Valley to Las Vegas.

SF to Yosemite Valley ~ 4 hrs, reservations absolutely necessary

Yosemite Valley to Death Valley ~ incredible scenery and great destinations en route ... could take a week or 'just' take all day. Mileages: nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf 6 hrs 15 min nonstop driving, but I think the NPS is using Furnace Creek as the 'in' Death Valley destination. Stay in Stovepipe Wells as it's closer. Info on that Top Q on the California page or I'll link it for you here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

DVNP to Las Vegas ~ 2 hrs, use the ShortestRoute: nps.gov/deva/…20Vegas.pdf

Las Vegas to San Diego ~ I think 5-6 hrs sounds right, but the folks on the CA forum know more. The San Diego folks have driven to LV enough to help you if you want a different route.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco to San Diego road-trip, via....

Cheers for that.

Yosemite looks stunning and so we hope to spend a couple of days that way now.

Thanks for your help.