We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite to Seattle

9 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite to Seattle

Hi,

I'm considering a road trip in May next year which involves driving from Yosemite via the Redwoods up to Seattle in an RV and I'm concerned the distance is too far in my allotted time. I'm also looking at other possible iteneraries.

To begin, I'm flying into San Fran from the East coast with my wife and 1yr old son. After a weekend enjoying the sites we pick up our hired RV and drive to Yosemite for 3 nights, thats assuming I am quick enough to get a campsite in the park on the day these spots are released, the 15th I think.

We have 12 days from and including the day we leave Yosemite to the day we fly out home. The reason I was considering flying out of Seattle is becuase a) my wife is Twilight nuts and so could visit Forks, b) we could see Redwood Forest and the beautiful Oregan coast on the way.

a) Is Yosemite to Seattle along the coast road too much driving to be enjoyable in 11/12 days?

b) If answer is no, what 4 keys spots should we stop at on the way to Forks?

c) If answer is yes, can anyone suggest a better itinerary, I had considered SanFran-Yosemite-Lake Tahoe-Redwoods-San Fran or SanFran-Yosemite-Vegas-Grand Canyon-Vegas

Do you think so much time in an RV with a 1yr old is not the smartest thign to do for a holiday.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

Yes, you can easily make the drive in 12 days. Personally, I think you should get a large SUV and motels rather than RV. More flexibility & driving ease; RV won't save any bucks.

More detail on trip north later.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,944 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

What DAM says. Easily do that in 12 days, not sure about the RV.

1 night on route to coast, Napa area north of SF maybe ( DAM will have a better suggestion I'm sure).

2 nights Crescent City area for the Redwoods Parks.

2. nights up Oregon Coast, Florence maybe for one.

2. nights Portland, Columbia River Gorge.

2 nights around Olympic NP, Forks if you must!

2 nights Seattle (using one of the ferry services).

I think a car would be better for this, flexibility, move quick if you need to and 2 nights is not a lot for ONP if you want to see some of it.

Edited: 30 November 2012, 07:37
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

Via Lake Tahoe only when Tioga Pass is open. That pass (and other passes) often are still closed in may. But last year Tioga pass opened may 7. In 2010 only june 18.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

Val's schedule looks just fine.

On getting to the coast best route is;

- Pick up I 5 north in Manteca.

- I 5 to Williams, Ca.

- HWY 20 east out of Williams to 101.

- Once at 101 stay in Ukiah or Willits, ca. for night.

I 5 is a bore but 20 is a good road that takes you right by Clear Lake; nice views. A bit curvy but easy drive.

The above route takes you completely around the Bay area & all that yucky traffic! LOL!

If you think you like Val's plan, we can give you lots of specifics on where to stay/eat/do.

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

Thanks guys.

I've been playing round with google maps and that first leg out of Yosemite north bound looks to be the worst leg, 6-8hrs, but after that maybe 2-3hrs per day looks to be manageable

Travelling by RV :

- we've never travelled by RV before and I'd like to try it out, for road trip they seam to be the way to travel

- I am not much of a camper, it makes sense to me to use an RV to visit Yosemite

- with a child, packing and unpacking every second night would seam overly laborious. I've also stayed in my fair share of cooky/kitch motels and the charm has worn off for me

- I am not doing the RV to save money.

I'm curious as to why you think this trip is not suitable for RV, do you think travel time would increase to an unenjoyably high level using RV, or is it the condition of the roads?

As I said, I've never driven an RV before, so I am completly ignorant as to how comfortable they are to drive or travel in

Many thanks for all help

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

On RVs there are several constraints:

- You can only park/overnight in certain locations in places such as Yosemite. Far fewer choices for over nighting.

- Awkward in cities.

- Hard to maneuver on two lane roads; takes more effort.

Actually, the trip you are considering lends itself more to RV than most since once you leave SF you will not be spending much time in cities. And roads, for most part,would be okay for RV. Maybe put up a post specifically on RVing for your route.

On the first day, you could take an overnight around Sacramento if you want a shorter first day drive.

You do have a pretty nice trip planned.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,944 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

Hi again.

The main thing, other than just a totally unreasonable aversion to them!;). for me is that they are slower so the drives take longer, but as DAM says the trip laid out is fine for using an RV and it will open up stays in the State and National parks rather than in the towns. ONP is big and spread out so with just a couple of nights in an RV you won't get everywhere but will still see enough of it for a taste.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

If you pick up an RV from SF count on 4 hours before you're on the road with the explanations how the RV works and buying groceries. Yosemite already might be too far that day.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,944 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

Good point by Tet re. the RV orientation time.

We did some, well other than Yosemite most of your route earlier this year, so for a bit of shameless self promotion, you might find our trip blog helpful?

DAY 3 To 12. You will notice from our travel style why an RV is not our favored vehicle of choice! ; ).

www.westmidstraveller.com/TR_USA_2012Pt2.html

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,398 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite to Seattle

>> it makes sense to me to use an RV to visit Yosemite <<

Can you elaborate on that?

If you're lucky and get one of the coveted RV campsites in Yosemite Valley, then you can use the shuttle to get around the Valley. But you'd have to drive your RV to other tourism sites within the Park, if those roads are open. It's possible that the $$ Glacier Point bus tour will be running in May, but I wouldn't count on it.

------------

Have you looked at the cost for gasoline? The extra fee charged for more miles driven?

Have you looked at the fee for the Washington State Ferry from the Olympic Peninsula to Seattle? An oversize vehicle is $$$.

If you've saved up lots of money, if your 1 year old is a great traveler, and if you don't mind spending 20 - 25% more time on the road, then an RV can work.