We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

I am planning a summer road trip from Texas to California.

Our road trips consist of: drive a few hours (4-6) until the next destination. Tour the place/city for a few hours and drive on to the next destination.

We drove from Houston, TX to Niagara Falls, Canada and back in 12 days this past summer and loved it! (If anyone needs help with this, please feel free to ask as I still have my itinerary. ;-)

For this upcoming trip, it will be my DH, myself, my 15 yr old daughter, and 13 yr old son.

Below is just a sketch itinerary. I haven’t really tried to see if we can squeeze these places in for a two-week road trip:

Departing: Houston, TX

Carlsbad, New Mexico

White Sands, New Mexico

San Diego, California

Anaheim

Los Angeles

Universal Studios Hollywood

Hollywood

Big Sur - Highway 1

Alcatraz Island

San Francisco

Redwood Natl Park

Mossbrae Falls, CA (Cave Springs)

McCloud Falls in northern California

Lake Tahoe, CA

Yosemite National Park

Devils Postpile National Monument

Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Death Valley NP

Las Vegas

Hoover Dam

Grand Canyon

Flagstaff

Chapel of the Holy Cross - Arizona

Petrified Nat'l Park

Grants, NM??

Albuquerque

telope canyon Arizona

Houston

Am I missing any ‘must see’ places or can some of these be skipped?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

Hi

You aren't describing a 2 weeks trip. More like 4-5 weeks or longer.

Maybe already rewad this thread. The OP was asking for a 12 days trip to California from Houston

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k5800903…

With some extra days you may get as far as Anaheim for DL and the drive back via Grand Canyon. That will be about it imo.

Tet

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

It's the part about 'Tour the place/city for a few hours and drive on to the next destination' that wouldn't seem to work.

For example, are you proposing just a few hours at Disneyland? Just a few hours for San Francisco? Just a few hours for 1200 square mile Yosemite National Park?

I think that your kids are old enough to be part of the planning. Ask them to research one destination and plan a full day that will be fun for your family. They may find that there is too much to do in their chosen destination OR that their choice doesn't sound fun to you at all. For example, maybe there is a desire to go kayaking and to take surf lessons and to go to a world class aquarium. But your current itinerary allows only an hour in the Monterey area.

For the portion of the trip in California, read the Top Questions in the upper right of the CA state page. You'll learn more about busy Southern California, the fabulous coastal drive between L.A. and SF, Yosemite to Las Vegas route, and more.

Then try laying out an itinerary, and we can help to tweak it. Be sure your teens have input. Check www.SunriseSunset.com for daylight hours.

Lodging reservations in Yosemite will probably be the most challenging to get. The Top Q on the Yosemite page has ideas.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

Hi.

Tet's already referred you to a similar post. IMO with twelve days, you need to reduce your range, or if it must be CA, then you need to fly to cut out some driving.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

FYI--We recently drove from Houston to Phoenix, with two drivers. We left Houston about 7:00 am on a Sunday morning (so no traffic) and drove at or above speed limits with minimal stops for toilets and lunch. We arrived in Van Horn, Texas (our stopping point for the night since we were traveling before Thanksgiving and dusk came early) at about 5:00 pm. From Van Horn to Carlsbad Caverns National Park is another two hour or so drive. From CCNP to White Sands is about 220 or so more miles--maybe 4 hours. So if you wanted to drive from Houston to White Sands, and spend anytime at all at either the caverns or White Sands, you need at least two days just for that bit of your proposed trip.

Also have just done LasVegas and Hoover Dam as a little side trip from Phoenix. While Hoover Dam is interesting (and if your budget permits I would recommend the longer, more expensive tour of the dam), I would not recommend taking a 13 and a 15 year old to Las Vegas. While there are some family oriented things to do and shows to see, the majority of what the kids will be seeing will be related to gambling, sex, and drinking--much of it very specific. I haven't looked at the itinerary that has been suggested by Tet (and by the way, you should know advice from Tet is generally golden), if you are including northern Arizona, I would do Grand Canyon, Page for Antelope Canyon and Hoover Dam and skip Las Vegas, especially in the summer.

As you plan, have a look at www.travelmath.com. Great website where you can input two places and get driving time, distance, etc between the two. That may help you realized the scope of what you are proposing.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

Cut itinerary by about two-thirds.

Orange, Tx
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

Did you visit all these places from Houston to Yosemite? My husband and I are planning our first road trip for 10 days from Houston to Yosmite. if you coulld send me your iteniary I would really appreciate it. We don't have a clue of what places to see or any of the small towns on the way. Thank you so much, we are so excited. We leave August 2nd 2013.

Susan Rye

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

Welcome to the forum Susan. Suggest to open a new topic for yourself and get more replies. The OP never came back to this one and it's already from dec 2012.

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

Hi Jessica! I know this post is a bit old but was wondering if you still had your itinerary from Houston, TX to Niagara Falls, Canada? If so, I would love a copy of it. Thank you so much!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

Hi arellanochick - welcome to the Road Trips forum. As you say, this is an old post so we don't know if Jessica is still watching. However, it's clear from this topic that Jessica's travel style may not be your own idea of a decent road trip as she likes to eat those miles! If you just want to her about her trip to Niagara from TX, fine. If you'd care to get great road trip advice for other folk with tons of experience of all types of road trips, please start your own topic by scrolling down the page, clicking the orange 'ask a question' button and filling in the boxes. The more you tell us about what you want from your trip, the better advice you'll get.

SWT

10. Re: Road Trip Itinerary from Houston, TX to California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 06:17