We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit in the East Coast States?

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Places to visit in the East Coast States?

My family and I are planning to go on a road trip vacation to New York City this summer. We will be driving from Texas, and we'd really like some input on which towns/cities we should stop in along the way. Maybe places that are scenic and/or have some interesting history. The people travelling will include my parents, grandmother, little brother (14) and myself.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,764 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

If you take the route up to Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Lexington, Huntington, Morgantown, Allentown and on to NYC here are some suggestions of things to see and do-

Little Rock- Clinton Presidential library, also many state parks along this route

Memphis- Graceland, Beale Street, Civil Rights museum, MS River

Nashville- Grand Ole Opry, Country Music hall of fame, The Hermitage

Bowling Green and surrounding area- Corvette Museum, Mammoth Cave NP, Shaker village, Lincoln's birthplace

Lexington- Kentucky Horse Park and museum

Morgantown- rock climbing, many arts and crafts festivals throughout the year, water sports

Southern PA- Amish country and Gettysburg National Battlefield

Hope you enjoy your trip!! We have driven various routes from Pittsburgh, PA to Houston. Let us know your interests, etc. and we will be able to answer more of your questions.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

How long do you have for this trip and is at a Houston-NY-Houston roundtrip?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

agreed- how long? and is it a round trip?

If you head across to the coast (my favorite places are along the coast) you can stop in the Florida panhandle. Pensecola has beautiful beaches. Straigt across to St Augustine- then up the coast to Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina. These spots require a few days to enjoy tho. If it's a matter of just some overnight stops along the way to break up the drive, then it's a different trip all together.

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

Yes it's round trip, so I'm thinking maybe two weeks or so? Like a week either way? We probably won't spend much time in each town along the way, just a few hours to see some sights and eat and whatnot. And obviously to stay the night. We'd like to stay in towns/cities with stuff to see. If theres a particular sight or town we really want to see, we'll might stay there for the whole day. We'll probably drive about 5-8 hours a day, I'm thinking. Really I'm just trying to get an idea of neat places to see so that when we plan out the trip, we'll know where we want to just stop for the night and where we want to actually stay a while and see stuff.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

You are going on a 3500-3750 miles roundtrip depending on your route. Don't you want to spend time in NY? I suggest at least 3 full days for NY so actually you don't have a week for the commute to NY and back. Don't drive a car into NY.

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
327 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

According to AAA, if you take the most direct path between Houston and NYC, this will take close to 25 hours drive time each way, or 5 days each way if you drive 5 hours a day. How many days will you spend in NYC? even if you only spend 3 days in NYC (and I do think you have way too much in NYC for 3 days), you will have no other time to spend in anyplace along the way if you are trying to do this in 2 weeks. Don't forget meals (figure restaurants are 1.5 hrs per meal if you rush), the traffic jams around rush hours, and occasionally getting lost. You will have maybe 3 hours a day to actually get out of the car. Are you sure your passengers can keep this pace, especially your grandmother?

I've always found that after a four or more hours of driving I am fried for the day. Maybe you spend every other day as a "drive day" and try to put in 8 or more hours one day, and a full day rest at a location the next. However this may minimize what you spend in NYC.

I can't work it out where you won't just see see the sites from the car.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

A lot of driving in a short time with 5 people in the car.

I'd either fly or pick a closer destination.

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

Not sure if we want to spend time in New York. We might pass it up - we aren't sure yet. That's just the area we want to go to. Might go further and see Cape Cod if it's worth it, and maybe Niagara Falls. My brother wants to stop and go to Hershey Park also. I know it could take more than two weeks. Thank you for all the information so far! :)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

If you're interested in Hershey Park and Niagara Falls, consider instead heading to Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world, in Sandusky, Ohio. You could visit Put-in-Bay in the bicentennial year of the Battle of Lake Erie, one of the most consequential naval victories in the history of the U.S. and which helped preserve much of the Midwest for the nascent republic. See link at bottom of this post.

If your parents didn't want to spend a trying day at Cedar Point with your grandmother, there are many wonderful local attractions, even though Cedar Point offers shows and other attractions besides a world class collection of thrill rides.

On the way to Cedar Point, you could visit Dayton, Ohio, the aviation history mecca of the world. The gigantic and excellent National Museum of the U.S. Air Force there has free admission. The Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park features the Wright Flyer III, the first powered airplane capable of sustained, controlled, elevated and reliable flight, and Huffman Prairie Flying Field, where man first conquered the skies.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

After Cedar Point, attraction might include Cleveland for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, the U.S.S. Cod, the West Side Market, and the Cleveland Museum of Art (one of the nation's best but with free admission.

Attractions outside of Cleveland would include Holden Arboretum, one of the biggest and best in the U.S. and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

Southwest of Canton is the epicenter of Ohio Amish country, the largest Amish community in the world and generally considered superior to the Amish community in Lancaster County, PA, near Hershey.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

On the way to Ohio or NYC, you could visit Memphis or Nashville, and perhaps Mammoth Cave National Park (if you'll be visiting many national park properties, consider purchasing an America the Beautiful Pass).

After Ohio, you could stop at Presque Isle, a National Natural Landmark and a great place for a fresh water swim, on your way to Niagara Falls, a four hour drive northeast of Cleveland. To visit Niagara Falls, you definitely will want U.S. passports in order to visit the Canadian side of the falls, which offers the best vistas and some attractions not available on the U.S. side, such as the Journey Behind the Falls.

BTW, if you're not going to NYC, perhaps consider substituting Chicago by way of St. Louis and the Lincoln Museum in Springfield. You could visit The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI, before heading to Ohio. After Niagara Falls, head to Pittsburgh to see the birth of the Ohio River from Mt. Washington (using the Duquesne Incline) and one of the best cityscapes in the U.S., then head east to Dayton, before returning home through Kentucky, Tennessee and perhaps Vicksburg in the sesquicentennial year of the historic siege which ended on July 4th, 1863, resulting in the Union dividing the Confederacy by completely controlling the Mississippi River.

In Kentucky, you also could visit the blue grass country horse farms and perhaps even make a stop on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.

Good planning!

Edited: 09 December 2012, 17:48
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit in the East Coast States?

Cape Cod is great but also a longer drive. Cape Cod. takes time and 3 days there already are recommended.