We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA Road Trip- August 2013

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
USA Road Trip- August 2013

Hi Friends,

We are planning to go on a road trip across many states in August 2013. It will be the three of us (Me, wife and son aged 11). We will be driving from Winnipeg and would like to reach Indianapolis through one of two routes.

1) Duluth, Wisconsin Dells, Merrilville-Indiana and Indianapolis

2) Fargo, Sioux Falls, Omaha, Kansas City, St Loius, Indianapolis

After Indianapolis we plan to move to Pittsburgh, Maryland, NY, Boston, Vermont, Montreal, Toronto, Niagara, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Fargo, Winnipeg.

I know its a lot of places. We are thinking of 22 days. We plan to stay with family and friends for 11 days, hotels for 6 and KOA camping for 5 days.

We plan to spend two days each in Maryland, NY and Toronto and single day sight seeing in the other places. I know its a lot of driving but my son loves to travel and I would love to do it for him.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I have experience of driving 14 hours at a stretch. This trip would involve me driving 4 to 5 hours a days.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA Road Trip- August 2013

Hi Travelingphysio g,

That's a pretty ambitious trip for 3 weeks, but I think It can be done, especially as you recognize you won't have much time in each destination.

I've come up with a slightly different route for you to consider:

http://goo.gl/maps/yjOkU

It avoids backtracking across some of the same ground that you've already seen. and takes you through northern Michigan, across the Mackinaw Bridge and the Upper Peninsula.

Another option to consider if you don't want to drive across the U.P., is to drive from Detroit to Luddington, Michigan, and take the car ferry across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. I've not done it, but I think it's a 5 hour or so transit across the lake; reservations recommended.

Along my suggested route, some comments:

Chicago is a great city (where I was born and raised) and you could easily spend a week there. Highlights are the Grant Park along the lakefront; Navy Pier, all the museums and Shedd Aquarium; and, if you're in town at the right time, you may be able to catch a Cubs or Sox game.

I'm not sure why you have Merrillville, IN on your list (friends or relatives), and it should be fine. Be cautious around Gary and Hammond, however, as those two cities had very high crime rates (lived in Indiana 17 years).

Indianapolis has a lot to offer, especially downtown with the NCAA Hall of Champions, the Eiteljorg Museum of Native American and Western Art (highly recommend it), White River State Park with the zoo, IMAX theater, Victory Field (minor league baseball), and the canal.

Dayton, Ohio has a lot of aviation history with the Wright brothers having come from there.

Pittsburgh has a pretty lively scene downtown. About an hour and a half outside of Pittsburgh is the masterpiece home called Fallingwater designed by the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

In eastern Pennsylvania there's Lancaster County with all of its Amish communities, and nearby is Gettysburg, site of the famous Civil War Battle.

Baltimore has its famous inner harbor with Fort McHenry, where Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner during the battle in the War of 1812, and there's the Baltimore and Ohio railroad museum which is pretty interesting.

Boston has the Freedom Trail, a walking trail through the city that takes you past all of the major historical sites in central Boston.

Near Detroit there's the Henry Ford Greenfield Village museum.

Crossing the Mackinaw Bridge is pretty fun and interesting, and the U.P. of Michigan has Tahquamonen Falls and the Maritime Museum at Whitefish Point where you can see artifacts from the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Duluth was an surprisingly interesting city to visit (about 8 years ago). I stayed at the Canal Park Lodge for just one night, but it was right on Lake Superior and a great place to stay.

http://www.canalparklodge.com/

So I hope that gives you some ideas as a starting point for what will be a great trip.

Zed

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA Road Trip- August 2013

Hi Again Travelingphysio g

I forgot to include Montreal and Toronto in my map above. Here's the updated map:

http://goo.gl/maps/WfjxX

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA Road Trip- August 2013

You have 19 locations in 21 days. This simple is to much.

You need to delete at least 1/3 of your stops. Can you list the most important places you want to see?

Drive less, enjoy more.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA Road Trip- August 2013

Between Winnepeg and Indianapolis take route 1. Route 2 is a detour.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA Road Trip- August 2013

Totally agree with post #3.

When is there time for your son to get out and run & play? When is there time to relax? When is there time to see something other than through your windshield as you're zipping by?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA Road Trip- August 2013

@zed1958, Thank you so much for the time you have devoted for suggesting places and a route.

@other friends. Thank you very much for the comments and suggestions. I will consider them when I plan the trip

This trip will be very important for us. My wife and I are graduate students and our brains are almost fried up reading and writing. Our son has special needs (ADHD and PDD). His attention span is very less and he likes to keep moving. What is important for him is the whole process of traveling and being in the car. So he reacts in a slightly different way than other 10 year olds. Even though I might have to extend a few days I am determined to make this trip. Traveling through 13 states and visiting all those great cities of America is too enticing. I will request you friends for further suggestions closer towards the trip. Thank you so much for responding.

7. Re: USA Road Trip- August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 08:15