We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip from San Diego to Sedona to Santa Fe

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip from San Diego to Sedona to Santa Fe

Hi Guys -

I posted this in the SD, but someone suggested that I re-post in this forum.

We are driving out to Santa Fe in mid-January with a stop overnight in Sedona. Because there is so much driving (7-10 hours each stretch), we want to take the "scenic route" I have seen posts recommending route 89...but, I wonder if it is safe to do this in the winter? We drive a scion, but we do have a snow chain set for our car...

Also, if is is safe to drive, can you recommend a few good places to eat along the way? We are not into eating Dates...so Dateland is a "pass" for us...but something "non- chain" between the two stretches of drive would be greatly appreciated! We love to take in the local flavor of wherever we are :)

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Sarafina

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip from San Diego to Sedona to Santa Fe

There are several parts of 89. The more famous section, running through Sedona, is 89A, which you can pick up in Prescott. Prescott to Sedona is very pretty, but also very curvy. There's also 89 (not 89A), which runs from Congress to Ash Fork at I-40 via Prescott. The southern section, just north of Congress, is very, very curvy and mountainous. You'd be on that section if you took the real "back route". All of these stretches of road have the potential for snow. Sedona is relatively low in elevation though so, actually, you have a much higher chance of hitting snow along I-40 around Flagstaff than you do on 89A in Sedona. The only section that tends to have chain restrictions is I-40. That actually occurred last week, even.

I would also point out that you're going to have virtually no time to see or do anything in Sedona. Really, no time for anything along the way. It's very pretty, but taking these back routes also adds quite a bit of drive time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip from San Diego to Sedona to Santa Fe

Sedona would be the highlight of a drive from SD. I suggest getting there as quick as possible and hope that you have some daylight left to enjoy it.

The most direct route would be 8-85-10-101-17-Exit #298 (Sedona).

If you need chains on your car, then you really shouldn't be out driving. Occasionally the road from Sedona to Flagstaff closes for a few hours if there's a big snowstorm. And as noted by colinaz, I-40 can get messy in a snowstorm.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip from San Diego to Sedona to Santa Fe

I you take the route Janss described (via I17) you can have something to eat at Rock Springs Cafe. Their pies are famous. On the way to Santa Fe best place for food is La Posada hotel in Winslow. There's R66 dinner at Joe & Aggie's in Holbrook and El Rancho in Gallup serves decent food. The lobby there is a must see.

Tet

4. Re: Roadtrip from San Diego to Sedona to Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 05:16