We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East coast winter road trip

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
East coast winter road trip

Hey guys, me and four friends in our late twenties are spending 2 weeks of feb exploring everywhere from Boston to Washington, D.C. Please please can I get some tips of must sees along the way? We know all about NYC. So looking for quirky things to do off the beaten track. Wouldn't mind going more north to upstate NY if u think its worth it..

Thanks everyone x

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East coast winter road trip

In my view I'd reconsider the timing as a winter road trip might not be much fun weather wise particularly if you want to get off the beaten track where driving conditions in the event of snow might not be ideal.

The average high temp in Boston in Feb is only 39F and 42F in NYC.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East coast winter road trip

Sadly flights from the uk are already booked. What are the odds of snow in late feb?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,280 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East coast winter road trip

Obviously there is no guarantee of future weather but according to the Boston city website it receives an average of 11 inches of snow in Feb and nearly 8 inches in March. The odds of snow in that area of the US in Feb must therefore be relatively high with possible travel disruption.

www.cityofboston.gov/arts/film/weather.asp

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East coast winter road trip

Late Feb is almost guaranteed to have snow in the north east. Off the beaten path is not going to be fun. Best staying in the cities because of weather. You could certainly find plenty to do for 2 weeks in NYC, Boston and DC.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,716 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East coast winter road trip

It's unfortunate that you booked your flights before working out the logistics of the trip. The north east coast of the USA is wonderful for touring, but that's not the time of year to do it. I've never been then so have no personal experience, but as it's well out of season, much along the coast north of Boston, could well be closed, limiting your options for lodging, dining and activities. Inland, in the mountains, the major roads will be kept open as much as possible, whatever the weather, as many places in Vermont, upstate NY and New Hampshire are ski resorts. However, unless you plan to ski, many of these places will have little else to offer in Feb and accommodation will be pricey.

Wherever you drive in those parts, if you do drive - and I'd not chose to a road trip there, then - do check the weather and road conditions. Each state has a very good website with up to date info and web cams showing local conditions. Snow and ice storms can roll in surprisingly quickly, and you don't want to be caught in one. Also, for those reasons, have contingency in your travel plans and consider alternative routes and destination choices.

Alternatively, do Boston, NYC and Washington - majoring on those 3 wonderful cities, and travel by train between them. The trains will be warm, as will the museums in the cities. Also, the museums in Washington are free!

If you do decide to add an excursion to the mountains from say NYC or Boston, because of the ski trippers, you can get coach/bus trips to the ski mountains, to save driving. I've seen some mentioned, for example, on the Killington forum.

For details of what to do in Boston or Washington, DC - you say you already know all about NYC - then have a look on the forums, both cities have lots to do all year round, just wrap up against the wind, even in the cities!

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60745-i48-Boston_…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28970-i40-Washing…

Have a good trip,

SWT

Mount Arlington...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: East coast winter road trip

Try Newport, R.I., and visit the mansions that were once "summer cottages" of America's wealthiest. The town itself is as charming as it gets, and with the mansion tours, drive along the coast--see the Beauvoir home that Jackie and President Kennedy summered at-- to some of the very best restaurants, is captivating.

Then there's also Lake Placed,N.Y., home to two winter Olympics. The town is a little jewel on Mirror Lake, with great boutiques, shopping and restaurants. There's tons of fun things to do there, such as dogsled rides on the frozen lake, tobogganing down awesome shoots and slides onto the lake, ice-skating on the lake and at the Olympic Oval, and skiing, tubing and snowmobiling all nearby.

Go to the Olmypic Village and see the ski jumps; if you're lucky, you'll see some of the top jumpers in the world practicing, or, better yet, there will be qualifying events going on. Take the elevator up to the top of the ski jump; go to the luge and bobsled runs and take a ride yourself (Yes!), or just get in your car and drive around the lake and stop at some of the area's top resorts. Have a cocktail at the Lake Placid Lodge or White Face Lodge, or, in town, visit the charming Mirror Lake Inn and sit by the fire with a hot toddy. One of my favorite getaways around, and I'm an East Coaster!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East coast winter road trip

IMO, global warming is kicking in rapidly and you might not see snow on your trip. Last March saw highs in the 60s and 70s F. in the Northeast. No guarantees, however.

January is the coldest month of the year, and we'll have some highs in the 40s over the next few weeks.

If you're visiting cities in the northeast corridor (Boston to Washington, DC) are you planning to rent a car during the entire trip? Parking charges can be steep and cars aren't needed within the metropolitan areas due to good mass transit systems.

Many attractions in the northeast are seasonal, but possibilities where a car would be useful include Gettysburg, Charlottesville and Monticello, Mount Vernon, Norfolk, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Appomattox. On the NYC and Boston forums, you might ask about skiing, if that's an interest. A warm spell could cut the skiing season short.

You always could rent a car locally for several days. Check out Enterprise, which picks up customers from their hotels, or delivers cars directly.

By upstate NY, do you mean Niagara Falls? It would add two days of driving to your trip, and I wouldn't recommend it at this time of year as many of the attractions such as the Whirlpool Jet Boats and the Maid of the Mist aren't available. However, if you want to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, or Ohio Amish country, they are only four hours southwest of Niagara Falls.

Accuweather.com offers long-range (monthly) forecasts for many destinations.

Good planning!

Wirral
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East coast winter road trip

Hi

I have my 40th birthday coming up and would love to travel around the East coast with my partner and two boys who will be 13 and 10. We are thinking of coming over during March or April holidays and wonder how the weather will be? I thought maybe fly into New York and do three nights there and then we will have another 12 nights in which to do a bit of a road trip and get back to NYC in time for our flights? Any ideas how far we will get? I understand Charleston is beautiful and surrounding areas but have no idea on the east coast! We really enjoy being tourists and having around and delving into history. We also really enjoy beaches and having nice walks. As we will have the kids with us we dont really want to be driving too long but would like to get some mileage under our belts!! We will also be working to a budget so Im not sure if in America it is cheaper to pre book hotels/motels or just turn up?

Sorry about all the questions but you all seem to provide such good answers!

Many thanks.

Beverley

Many thanks

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East coast winter road trip

Beverly, please click on "ask a question" at the top of the forum and start your own thread. Few posters will respond to a new inquiry asked on an existing thread. Combing your thread of questions with someone else's becomes too confusing.

10. Re: East coast winter road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 19:56
Edited: 24 June 2013, 19:56