We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip advice appreciated

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
448 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip advice appreciated

I would appreciate comments on the following road trip itinerary (with total days 46) that we are planning for October November 2013. (arriving LV 5th Oct) We realise that we will have drop off fees for our hire car for the New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale but we do not want to return to NO. Our week in Treasure Island we plan to just relax and rest after so many days driving. We would like to then go on a cruise which we have not confirmed but are thinking a Holland America cruise that goes to Half Moon Cay - Falmouth - Grand Cayman and Key West.. Comments and advice on the must sees would be appreciated.

Day #

1 Fly Sydney to Las Vegas via LA – night Vegas

2 Las Vegas

3 Las Vegas

4 Pick up hire car in LV drive to Zion – 164miles 2hr 51

5 Zion to Bryce 87 miles 1hr 56 spend 3 hours in Bryce then drive to Page 157 miles 3hr 7

6 Page

7 Page to Monument valley 147 miles – 3 hrs 9

8 Monument valley to Sedona 226 miles 4hr 38

9,10,11, Sedona (day trip to GC one day)

12 Sedona to Vegas 277 miles 4hrs 36 - fly to New Orleans (south west)

13 New Orleans

14 New Orleans

15 New Orleans to Natchez 172 miles 3 hrs 6

16 Natchez to Vicksburg 72 miles 1hr 31 – visit battlefield then to Clarksdale for night

17 Clarksdale to Memphis about 2 hours

18 Memphis

19 Memphis to Nashville 213 miles 3hr 13

20 Nashville

21 Nashville to Chattanooga 133 miles 2hr 18

22 Day in Chattanooga

23 Chattanooga to Charleston 6hr 41 435 miles

24 Charleston

25 Charleston to Savannah 2hr 7 108 miles

26 Savannah

27 Savannah to Treasure Island 363 miles 6 hrs 22 For a rest for a week

28 Treasure island

29 Treasure island

30 Treasure island

31 Treasure island

32 Treasure island

33 Treasure island

34 Treasure island

35 Drive to Fort Lauderdale

36 Fort Lauderdale

37 Cruise/ Holland America

38 Cruise

39 Cruise

40 Cruise

41 cruise

42 cruise

43 cruise

44 Fort Lauderdale - to LA to Sydney

45 In air

46 Arrive home

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,473 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

I realise the trip is 46 days but I personally think you are trying to do much but I can understand your desire to do this coming all the way from Australia.

For example you don't seem to be spending any time in Zion NP and Bryce Canyon really deserves more than 3 hrs - it is in my opinion one of the most beautiful places in the US.

If it was me I'd drop some of the Treasure Island days to give me more time in Zion/Bryce Canyon - you will have time for relaxing on the cruise.

I'd also consider whether it's feasible to do all of the New Orleans to Savannah section - you have virtually every other day as a driving day with not enough time for sightseeing - again if it was me I'd drop the Memphis/Nashville parts to give me more time in the south east sector.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

Hi.

I too think your short changing Zion and Bryce, and that section needs two more nights.

The section in the southeast is doable but but has a lot of moving on, for instance very little time for visiting the Smoky Mountains from Chattanooga.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

Agree with the previous posters. I''d spend more time for the first part of your trip. Zion deserves at least one full day. You can make a daytrip to GC from Sedona indeed but far better will be to stay a night (or 2) at the rim. Monument Valley to GC and to Sedona after that.

Traveltimes given by Google or Mapquest won''t allow for stops. I''d also stay Bryce for one night instead driving to Page same day.

I''d also stay Natchez for a full day. The military Park in Vicksburg already took us half a day and it''s a scenic drive to Clarksdale esp if you take the old hw1.

Between Memphis and Nashville you can make a detour and visit Tupelo (Elvis' birthplace) and drive Natchez Trace Parkway from Tupelo to Nashville.

Tet

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

Read your post for Sedona. Maybe stay GCNP between Monument Valley and Sedona. Drive via Jerome en Prescott to Phoenix and fly from Phoenix instead from Las vegas.

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
448 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

Tet14 - would you mind providing more details of your suggestion to go to the GCNP between MV and Sedona. What route would we take? Thanks in advance.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

Hi.

Not Tet but, US 163 to Kayenta, US160 to Tuba City, US 89 to Cameron and Finally Az 64 into GCNP.

From there, south on the 64, which is also US180 most of the way to Williams, I-40 west, then pick up 89A south to Sedona, from Ash Fork.

New York
Level Contributor
895 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

Agree with Tet and Valiant...Zion needs more time, even Bryce

And if you have seen my itineraries before (in and out type), when I say you need more time, you need more time ;)

Both are great!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

Instead driving via Williams from GC you also can take 180 all the way into Flagstaff unless there''s an early snowstorm. 180 is a scenic drive and in Flagstaff is the excellent Museum of Northern Arizona is on your right hand side. Both routes to Flagstaff (64 and I40 and 180) app are 90 minutes drives. Az89A to Sedona runs from Flagstaff, not Ash Fork.

Tet

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

Tet is of course correct and I should have checked a map rather than using my useless memory, that's the way to Prescott..........Doh!

I'll just let him answer his own questions in future ; ).

Edited: 16 January 2013, 05:42
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip advice appreciated

No need for that Valiant ;)