We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos NM to LaVeta CO

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Taos NM to LaVeta CO

As part of a longer roadtrip over the next two months we will be travelling from Taos NM, to La Veta CO. Planning for the one day to drive between the two towns. Expect to be doing this in early March 2013. Am aware of possibility of weather (snow and ice) impacting roads.

Am looking for ideas on which way to travel between these two towns and ideas of any must-sees along the way.

Am posting the same question on Colorado, New Mexico and Roadtrips forums to look for alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

We travel that route all the time to our cabin & take the fast route: 522 through Questa, then 159 in Colorado though San Luis to Ft Garland, then 160 over La Veta pass.

However, if you have the time, Great Sand Dunes National Park is worth a stop:

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

In that case you would take 64 over the gorge bridge (a must-see at Taos), past the earthship community (very cool to see) to Tres Piedras, then 285 to Alamosa & then to the sand dunes

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

and then back to 160 & over La Veta pass.

I used to live in La Veta- be sure to drive out to see the stone walls, geologic dikes.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

Second link meant to be directions to the sand dunes:

www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

There's a Buddhist stupa on the right side of the road just before the Colorado state line. It's just a random, interesting sight that I usually stop at when I'm at that road. I don't really know anything about it except that it's maintained by a local group somehow connected to the group at Crestone, Colorado. Here's pics (not mine) so you know what to look for: …smugmug.com/Western-US/…1137780260_gZxSkpc

There's also the Catholic shrine at San Luis, which is high upon a hill and requires a stair climb. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33631-d27…

I don't mean to lead you solely to religious sites, but that's just all I know of interest along the route. It's not that far, so there's not a lot.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

Thanks for the info.

Have visited Great Sand Dunes NP on a previous visit and enjoyed it. It was in late April and enjoyed the walk up to Zappatta? Falls in that area.

Will check out all the other suggestions.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

At that time of year..don't under estimate the weather over La Veta Pass.. I would go Hiway 64 to Raton..I-25 to Trinidad then the Hiway of Legends hiway 160 to La Veta..u won't have to go over La Veta Pass this way.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

Go on up to Cuchara and have lunch at the Dog Bar..sorry.. I think the hiway that goes to La Veta is hiway 12 not 160.. Hiway 160 is the one that comes out of Walsenburg. on up to La Veta..you still won't have to go over La Veta Pass this way..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

Thanks for road info sandiw.

We'll be keeping a close watch on conditions as we go.

Before getting to NM the trip will be taking us through SD, WY, MT, UT, AZ, so we'll have had practice at checking conditions closely.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

If your route takes u anywhere Thermopolis.Wy. look up a little Mom & Pop rest right on Main St..next door to a oriental rest I think..The all time best Fried Chicken and homemade desserts i have ever had..the carrot cake was to die for!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

Yes, La Veta pass could be stormy, in which case take 64 to Eagle Nest & Cimarron then over Raton pass to Trinidad. Hwy 12 the back way to La Veta is wonderful. Stop to see the geologic dikes at Stonewall:

sangres.com/colorado/….UOreBjWHONY

Check for storms thru Cimaron canyon & Raton pass to decide which route.

The ice storms I've encountered Alamosa to Ft Garland can be horrible.

Sounds like quite a winter trip thru SD, WY, MT etc, AndPancho! Drive carefully & check the road reports. Hopefully you'll have time to sit out storms all along the way these next 2 months.

Hope you'll come back with a trip report.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 14:53
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taos NM to LaVeta CO

Now I see why this all seems like déjà vu! LOL!

We had a similar conversation about watching the weather on La Veta vs Raton passes in your original road trip thread.

After making it thru the northern rockies in winter you'll be old hands at checking road conditions.... we all hope!