We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

Guardamar del...
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

As part of a three week trip plan to drive between San Diego and Las Vegas in a single day. Would welcome any suggestions on scenic routes and also any 'must-see' places en route.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

Hi.

I have in the past driven this, in a day, via Anza Borrego SP, Joshua tree NP, and a bit of route66 around Amboy or through Mohave National Preserve, although it took most of the day, about 8 hours, and the sightseeing was mainly drive through.

A quick stop in Palm Springs would be another alternative, but not combined with all of the rest.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 18:00
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,533 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

Hi ElRasoSteve

Some of the folks most familiar with this drive are San Diego residents. As most of the drive is in California, you may want to repost on that forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor… Be sure to share when you're driving, who is in the travel group, and what kinds of things are interesting or 'must-see' for you.

If you have general questions about your overall road trip itinerary, I think this is the perfect place to ask.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

Hi,

I drove this route from San Diego to Palm Springs about a month ago (I did not drive it beyond Palm Springs), and it's quite scenic through the Cuyamaca mountains and then dropping into Palm Springs the road has lots of hairpin turns.

http://goo.gl/maps/En2K4

Normally, from San Diego to Las Vegas on Interstate Highway 15 (I-15) is about a 5.5 - 6 hour drive depending on traffic.

If you take my route and spend an hour or two in Julian (an 1880's mining town now known for its apple pies) and an hour or two in Palm Springs, you're looking at a 10-13 hour drive to Vegas.

By the way, Mt. Laguna can have snow in the winter and chains are required. I'm not sure what time of year your trip will be.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

Three weeks to drive from San Diego to Las Vegas? That leaves time for a whole lot of sight-seeing!

Just south of Temecula, take CA-79 to CA-371 to CA-74, to take the back door into the Palm Springs area. From Palm Springs, take CA-62 to Yucca Valley (interesting bible-themed statuary park) to Joshua Tree National Park to Twentynine Palms. From Twentynine Palms, take a left onto Amboy Road, past the Amboy Crater, cross over I-40 and head through the Mojave Preserve. Visit the giant Kelso Dune and the restored Kelso railroad station while driving through the Mojave Preserve.

There's more to see in the park, although most of the rest of the sites are off gravel roads. It's a short jaunt to Las Vegas via Primm after exiting the park on the north.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

Retro,

You misread the OP's comment:

<<plan to drive between San Diego and Las Vegas in a single day.>>

The trip between SD and LV is only one day of a larger 3 week trip.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

Definitely look at the suggested route over the mountain to Anza Borrego, up to Palm Spings area then Joshua Tree National Monument, on to 29 Palms and through the Mojave, connecting to I-15 right at the California-Nevada line. Fantastic desert route. You won't be alone out there.

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

Interesting route through Mojave National Preserve indeed. Take 62 from I10 bypassing Palm Springs if you want to make it in one day.

8. Re: Route between San Diego and Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 06:17