We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

any comments on anything we should include/miss/allow more time for welcome. We now have another couple of nights to play with. Any suggestions for where we might add these? Thanks.

Day 1. 21st April, 2012 - Arrive in Chicago.

Day 2. 22nd April, 2012 - Collect rental car. Chicago - St Louis (approx 300 miles).

Must do's: Gemini Giant, Wilmington; Route 66 museum, Pontiac; Springfield, IL - President Lincolns house (Jackson St); Chain of Rocks bridge; Go up the Gateway Arch @St Louis; Ted Drew's Frozen Custard Stand, Crestwood, MO

Hotel - Wayside motel, St Louis

Day 3. 23rd April, 2012 - St Louis - Springfield (approx 210 miles)

Must do's: Sweetie Pies Kitchen (soul food); Meramec Caverns (Jesse James hide out), Stanton; Worlds largest rocking chair, Fanning;

Hotel - Route 66 rail haven motel, Springfield

Day. 4 24th April, 2012 - Springfield - Tulsa - Oklahoma City (approx 310 miles)

Must do's: McDonalds, Vinita; Blue whale, Catoosa; Blue Dome (former gulf oil service station), Tulsa; Gold dome.

Hotel - Skyliner motel, Stroud, OK (near famous Rock Cafe)

Day 5. 25th April, 2012 - Oklahoma City - Amarillo (approx 260 miles)

Must do's: Foss ghost town; National Route 66 museum, Elk City; Devils rope barbed wire museum, McClean; Cadillac ranch (artwork in the desert);

Hotel - Big Texan Motel, Amarillo

Day 6. 26th April, 2012 - Amarillo - Albuquerque (approx 120 miles)

Must do's: Midpoint cafe, Adrian; Glenrio ghost town;

Hotel - El Rancho Motel, Gallup

Day 7. 27th April, 2012 - Free day to relax in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Sania Peak aerial tramway. Turquoise Trail.

Hotel - as above

Day 8. 28th April, 2012 - Albuquerque - Holbrook (approx 260 miles).

Must do's: Owl rock, Mesita; Dead mans curve, Mesita; New Mexico mining museum, Grants; Bandero volcano/Ice caves, Grants; Painted desert, Navajo; Petrified forest, Navajo;

Hotel - Wigwam Motel, Holbrook

Day 09. 29th April, 2012 - Holbrook - Grand Canyon National Park South Rim (approx 180 miles).

Must do's: Apache death caves, two guns; Flagstaff, Arizona

Hotel - The Lodge, Route 66, Williams, Arizona

Day 10. 30th April, 2012 - Grand Canyon - Las Vegas (approx 300 miles) via Hoover Dam

Hotel - Bellagio, 2 nights

Day 11. 1st May, 2012 - Full day in Las Vegas.

Hotel - as above

Day 12. 2nd May, 2012 - Las Vegas - Santa Monica (approx 290 miles) via Mojave desert. Stop at ghost town of Calico, Daggett; McDonald's (first ever), San Bernadino; Pasadena.

Hotel - Ocean View Hotel, Santa Monica (3 nights)

Day 13. 3rd May, 2012 - Full day in California

Day 14. 4th May, 2012 - Full day in California

Day 16. 5th May, 2012 - Leave LA for home......

1. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 12:41
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,565 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

Hi.

I'm certainly no route66 expert, although I know the western sections. Looks ok to me, I'd add a day in Chicago at the start.

Also consider staying at the Grand Canyon South Rim rather than just visiting it, and maybe move the next night to Kingman, so you can take your time for the Seligman to Kingman section and Hoover Dam.

It's possible from Kingman to do the Oatman section also, then go up the US95 and back track from Boulder to Hoover Dam, on route to LV

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

between Stroud and OKC. the round red barn in Arcadia, OK. Historic landmark and full of rt 66 history. arcadiaroundbarn.com/Round_Barn_Website/HOME…

Also Pops-- a new addition to rt 66 and just up the road from the red barn.

http://route66.com/

In OKC, there's the memorial downtown and also the western heritage museum. Both "must sees" imo

Another option for lodging-- leaving OKC, stop at Amarillo (Cadillac ranch is a very quick stop) perhaps continue on to Tucumcari, NM- An hour and 1/2 beyond Amarillo. Think you'll love this motel:

http://blueswallowmotel.com/

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
492 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

While in the Holbrook area ..make a quick stop in Winslow.Az..take pic's at the corner(standin on the corner in Winslow Arizona..such a fine sight to see..old Eagle's song) there's a Rt 66 logo painted on the street ..kinda fun pic opp...also in Holbrook..the WigWam Hotel is kinda funky in a cool kinda way..

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

I'm also not a route 66 expert. I've seen the start in Chicago, and the end in Santa Monica and driven two small stretches towards the west, and that's it. I hope to rectify that one day.

However, here's a link to a relatively recent Trip Report that a fellow Brit posted recently, doing a not so different route from yours. You will see what he found to be the highlights, and the places he wished he'd spent longer in, as that might help you with the extra nights. Also he made an invitation offer to help anybody else with their plans, so perhaps you could post a few questions at the bottom of the trip report.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k5802940…

I presume you have checked out one of the very helpful websites on the subject:

http://www.historic66.com/

Have a great trip, and post your own trip report here when you get back!

SWT

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

There is so much to see along the way that you can't do it all. Here are a few suggestions for your trip.

Do you have the EZ guide? It is the best 66 guidebook, available at www.national66.org/route-66-online-store/.

I think you will not be able to do everything you plan. For example, my wife and I took two days last summer between St. Louis and Chicago and still had to miss quite a bit. Give the time you have, you will have to make choices and spend some time on the interstates.

In Chicago a good Route 66 restaurant is Lou Mitchell's. It is downtown on West Jackson St.

The Palms Grill in Atlanta, IL is a good spot for lunch.

Drive the section of 66 through the Devil's Elbow, Missouri and stop at the Elbow Inn. There is some great original 1930s concrete sections of the road here. Don't be intimidated by the motorcylists at the Elbow Inn.

As you are staying at the Rail Haven Motel in Springfield, you can eat at the Steak and Shake which is just about a mile or so to the west.

West of Springfield is the Gay Parita Sinclair Station that is worth a stop, but be careful or the owner will talk to you for hours. Get some Route 66 Route Beer.

In Galena, Kansas stop at Four Women on the Road.

In Baxter Springs, Kansas you can stop at the Phillips 66 visitor center.

In MIami, Oklahoma you can visit the Coleman Theater. It will, however, take about 1 hour for a tour, but you can probably just do a quick look.

In Afton, Oklahoma do not miss the Afton Station. They have a fabulous collection of old Packard autos.

Food is quite good at the Rock Cafe in Stroud. The owner, Dawn, was the inspiration for the character in the movie Cars.

Drive through Shamrock, Texas and stop at the U-Drop Inn. The building was featured in the movie Cars. In fact, if you have not watched Cars, it is worth doing before your trip.

The Midpoint Cafe will still be closed when you are there--unfortunately.

In Albuquerque visit Old Town and walk around the downtown area. Lindy's in the downtown on Central is a Route 66 cafe. Visit the Kimo Theater, also on Central downtown.

The El Rancho in Gallup is 2 hours west of Albuquerque so you can't stay there and see sites around Albuquerque and go to Santa Fe. You need to revise your plans.

Beware of junk being sold in the trading posts along the highway. A good place for Southwest Indian arts and crafts is Richardson's in Gallup. If you go to Santa Fe, you can buy from the folks who set up under the portal in front of the Palace of the Governor's.

If you stop in Winslow, check out the La Posada Hotel. It was designed by Mary Colter for the Fred Harvey company. She also designed some of the buildings at the Grand Canyon.

In Seligman, Arizona stop at the Sno-Cap drive in, and you can stop at the barbershop and visit with Angel Delgadillo who is a Route 66 legend.

By going to Las Vegas, you will miss two great sections of 66. The first is through Oatman, Arizona and the other is the stretch past Amboy in California.

Enjoy your trip.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

Good advice already. Two guns is nothing but a lot of glass and a fence because it's on private land. Twin Arrows has a concrete wall around it but you can make a short loop from I40 and see the Arrows and the ruin.

In OKC a visit to the Cowboy and Heritage museum and the Memorial side is recommended. At the museum there already is a big room with all kind of barbed wire. R66 museum in Clinton is cute and worth a visit. See ya later alligator! At Galena nest to Four Women you''ll see the truck from the movie Cars.

Between Seligman and Kingman make a stop at Hackberry visitor center and museum. In Kingman is an R66 museum/visitor center along Andy Devine and across the street is Mr. D''z for food. And don''t miss the stretch from Kingman via Cool Springs, Ed''s Camp, a mine and Oatman via Oatman Highway.

Tet

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
37 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

By going Vegas to LA you will, as previously mentioned, miss Amboy and some other deadly places. The highlight of Amboy is the Roy's Motel sign. If u go that way, take your picture quickly. I was run out of town trying to take a photo using a tripod. Amboy is privately owned. Also,in Springfield IL the state Capitol rotunda is magnificent.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

Lots of excellent advice here , I agree , we really enjoyed a few days in Chicago.

Then we drove all the way to Santa Monica Pier.Taking about 16 days. We didnt see half as many sights as you have planned, but I would say, pick and choose on the day, to see what you will like, in the area you are currently staying.

We also stayed at The Lodge in Williams, a lovely Motel!

We did not want to miss Oatman , but also wanted to see Las Vegas, so we drove Route 66through to Los Angeles, and then flew to Las Vegas and picked up another car and drove to San Fran , then down the coast to Los Angeles again, to fly home to Australia.

We are definately not 66 experts, we were traveling for about 3 weeeks, and our big road trip has been one of our very best holidays!

We received so much helpful advice from so many tripadvisor members. Have a great time!

Maz.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any route 66 experts care to comment on our itinerary ?

If you follow R66 through California (road is called National Trails Highway) via Amboy also make a stop at Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs.

kcet.org/shows/tvtalk/tv-news/andy-richter-w…