We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan to Florida

Cheboygan, Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Michigan to Florida

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to head to Daytona Beach again this year for Spring Break; however, this year we are "empty nesters" and have several days in which to get to our condo in Daytona Beach Shores. Looking for interesting spots along the way. We've done this trip several times but most of the time was "windshield watching" -- getting from point A to B with very little/if any stops in the process. Looking for any suggestions. Leaving northern michigan Thursday and do not have to be in Port Orange until Monday. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michigan to Florida

Welcome to TA!

The possibilities are many.

You could swing east through Cleveland, Ohio Amish country, Pittsburgh, etc.

Check out the aviation history attractions in Dayton.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

In Kentucky, there's bourbon trail and Mammoth Cave NP.

Tennessee offers Memphis, Nashville and great Civil War battlefields.

There's Vicksburg and the Blues trail.

Anyway, read through the threads of this forum for much more.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michigan to Florida

Gatlinburg, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and Asheville are all on your way and are worth stopping at. There is also quite a bit to do in Cincinnati, if you've never been. Lexington, Kentucky is a great town as well. You could also swing by New River Gorge in West Virginia. It really depends on your route and how many days you can take to do this.

Cheboygan, Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Michigan to Florida

Thanks for the great suggestions! We've gone down several ways. Of course, straight down I-75. Also through West Virginia. One time we even went from Grand Rapids down I-65 (I think). It's always been fun but fast. I'll keep researching!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michigan to Florida

Hi.

Here's a possibile route for you:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZB4JQ

In Auburn, IN, there's the Cord Duesenburg Museum:

www.automobilemuseum.org/Pages/default.aspx

Indianapolis has a lot to offer in its downtown area and the White River State Park. There's the:

Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art

NCAA Hall of Champions

Indianapolis Zoo

Indiana State Museum

Canal Walk (a canal through the city like the one in San Antonio)

Not far outside of downtown are the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis Museum of Art (free admission).

It may be worth a brief run through Columbus, IN to see some of the great architecture in this small city.

Louisville has Churchill Downs (they won't be racing then) and the Louisville Slugger baseball bat factory.

Bowling Green, KY has the Corvette Museum and Mammoth Cave nearby.

Nashville has its music scene with the Grand Ole Opry.

Chattanooga has Lookout Mountain.

Stone Mountain has its mountain sculpture.

If you stay one night in each of those cities on the Google Map, you'll have a fairly leisurely drive to Port Orange.

I know this is waaaay in advance of it happening, but it sounds like you make this trip regularly, and in 2015, work will begin to replace the Brent Spence Bridge that carries both I-71 and I-75 across the Ohio River from Cincinnati to Covington, KY. I can't even begin to fathom what that will do to traffic around there.

www.brentspencebridgecorridor.com/Home.html

Enjoy your planning!

5. Re: Michigan to Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 07:16