We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Hi all,

I have had such great help from this forum in the past, I thought I'd see how I went with a Vancouver-Rockies-Vancouver roadtrip question. I have been poring over the forums, and have worked out what I think would work for us - but would love any suggestions or advice.

The travellers are myself, hubby and two kids age 13 and 10. I am a mad keen amateur photographer and my family do put up with this (to a point) so I am hoping to maximise the scenery opportunities. The kids are happy pottering around along hiking trails (as long as it isn't too far) and we all love wildlife so will probably do any bear-watching/wildlife tours we can find too.

We are landing in Vancouver on 21st of June and will stay three nights there before heading over to Vancouver Island where I have booked a vacation rental in Ucleulet for 4 nights. On returning from there back to Vancouver we will stay another night, and have booked an early pickup (10am - 12pm departure)for the RV on the 29th of June. This is where I'm at with the itinerary from there:

29th - drive to Whistler via Sea-to-Sky Highway (I've heard this is a lovely scenic driving route)

30th - drive to Clearwater

1st July (Canada Day) - drive to Mt Robson, hopefully do a Blue River bear-watching safari on the way

2nd - visit Lake Kinney, drive to Jasper

3rd - Jasper

4th - Jasper

5th - Jasper to Banff (taking all day)

6th - Banff

7th - ?Yoho/Kicking Horse Pass somewhere, or maybe stay Lake Louise

8th - Revelstoke

9th - somewhere (?recommendations) in the Okanagan Valley

10th - Okanagan Valley - hubby and I enjoy visiting wineries, and maybe just spend some time swimming in a lake

11th - ?Harrison Hot Springs

12th - return to Vancouver, late drop-off organised for the RV, head to the airport for a 6pm departure

How does that look?

I'd be interested in recommendations of somewhere maybe by a lake but near the wineries to stay in the Okanagan Valley.

I was also trying to be somewhere where there might be some Canada Day activities and considered not going to Whistler and heading straight to Jasper so we can be there on Canda Day but I'm struggling with that decision a little.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,465 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Hi.

The 3 weeks confused me when I just looked at the plan, but having read the intro now I understand.

Overall, looks ok to me, a bit short on time for Banff (maybe take a night from Okanagan area?) and your driving the Icefields parkway in one day, so take your time for the section north of Lake Louise.

Sea- to- Sky Hwy is agreat drive but your not going to spend any time really around Whistler so dropping that and going to Clearwater directly, with time then for Wells Gray PC may be a good idea. Blue River Safari gets my vote, really enjoyed that in 2011.

The area around Kelowa is nice, lots of Provincial Parks and wineries.

Also, post this on the Canadian Rockies and BC forusm. Lots of great DEs and regulars there who will have good local knowledge and help you tweak it to the best outcome.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 07:33
Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was wondering if I was cutting Banff too short. I think we might cut Whistler - others have said it pales in comparison with the Rockies anyway.

Cheers!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,465 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Hi again.

I'd agree that the Rockies top Whistler area, although I liked it more than I expected. I meant Kelowna of course for your Okanagan stop.

My TR blog is here from Sept 2011, we did a three week car trip, going over some old and some new ground. Might help with a bit of planning maybe?

www.westmidstraveller.com/TR_Canada_2011.html

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

I agree, unless you have a reason to be in Whistler, use your time in the Rockies, in Banff and around.

SWT

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Hello Jemmwm. I may be a bit late with suggestions because you'll be offin a couple of months. We did a similar trip to you in June/July 20212. Did not stay in Whistler but went on a little farther to Pemberton, a small town but very nice. Met our first bear while walking home from dinner. Going back to Vancouver after the Rockies we went via Revelstoke. Go to the Village Idiot Bar/Restaurant for a meal or drink. It's something different alright but you'l love it. One of the highlights was going from Revelstoke to Vernon via Arrow Lakes ferry. Then on to a town called Hope. Looked a bit dodgy on Google Earth but it ended up being one of the best places we stayed. The wood carvings there are great. You'll love the whole Rockies Area.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Ha! You are only a day too late, because I just finalised the itinerary and starting booking things yesterday! We are going to give Whistler a miss, and from Revelstoke we are going to Penticton so we can spend a day doing a winery tour. Otherwise your route back to Vancouver looks good and I might have considered it! Cheers!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

We are taking 2 weeks to travel from Calgary to Vancouver via Vancouver Island in a RV in September. We did a similar trip almost 20 years ago and had no difficulty finding campgrounds without booking, is this still the same?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Hi Green-Banana-Man and welcome to the forums. You may want to start your own thread, as this one is quite old (in forum terms!)

I'm an RVer and I do know that 20 years ago there were not *nearly* as many Canadians RVing as there are now! Also, where I live in Oregon, once school starts, more RVs with older folks come out because the kids are gone but the weather is still nice :-)

You also might want to post on the British Columbia and Alberta forums.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

Thank you..I have posted in those forums and noted what you have said. Presumably the more popular destinations will be a problem.

10. Re: British Columbia/Alberta RV trip - 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:16