We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From East Coast to San Francisco!

Budapest, Budapest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
From East Coast to San Francisco!

Hello people!

My name is Andy and I am new here. Some help would be highly appreciated. I don't know if I am posting this in the right section, please excuse me if I am a beginner here.

Me and my mate would like to go from Europe for a USA road trip mainly on the Interstate 10. 4-5 weeks is the plan.

We are thinking from Florida to California by car or bus, anything, backpacker trip. We don't know if it is worth it to go through Alabama and Mississippi to New Orleans or should we directly start the trip to New Orleans (we wanna visit that one for sure).

Our basic plan includes:

New Orleans

Texas (hints are welcome regarding where to go)

New Mexico - White Sands

Arizona - Saguaro National Park, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Sedona, Navajo Nation, Monument Valley, Four Corners, some spot on the route 66 historic road, Grand Canyon

Nevada - Las Vegas

California - L.A. then on the Highway 1 by the coastline till San Francisco including a short visit at the Monterrey Aquarium.

We would like to get some ideas, hints from experienced travelers! Desert and Canyon scenery is the priority, as well as the cultural heritage, big cities are not among our main interest for now.

Questions:

Is it worth it or a waste of time to start at Florida or should we start in New Orleans?

How to plan the way wisely and what should we add in the plan?

Are 5 weeks enough? (We wanna spend more days in New Orleans, a week at least in Arizona and the last 5 days in San Francisco)

Kind regards

Andy

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

Welcome to the TT...When is travel planned(season)? What will your cash in hand travel budget be for US ground arrangements ?? What are you ages ??? carracar

Budapest, Budapest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

Hello Carracar!

Thnaks for the reply! :)

Well, it would be a budget travel, no fancy hotels, only maybe in Las Vegas for 2 days.. Motels and camping would be the way to go.

4K USD would be the maximum...

We are over 30.

Driving would be the option so I hope there is an option to rent a car in one state and drop it in another..

Greyhound can be an option too but in Arizona and California we would like to be more independent so rental car we are thinking of.

Main focus for us is music (blues and country bars, live music) and scenery as I am a keen amateur photographer. (I bring a hell of a camera gear) and native culture..

Cheers,

Andy

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

When...In what season you plan to travel remains unanswered ... carracar

Budapest, Budapest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

Early Summer. June.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

You certainly can rent a car in one state and drop it off in another state. Maybe try www.usareisen.de for carrental but there are more. There will be drop off charges for the rentalcar between & 250,-- and $ 500,-- plus tax depending on the company.

As I already said on the California forum I''d fly to NOLA and take a trip from there if you want to spend a great deal of year time for the deserts.

NoLa-Houston-Austin-San Antonio-Carlsbad caverns-White Sands-Tucson-Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Monument Valley-Page-Bryce-Zion-Las Vegas-Death Valley-Los Angeles-hw1-San Francisco easily will fill 5 weeks.

If you want to travel R66 I suggest to consider takling I40. From White Sands you can drive to Albuquerque and Santa Fe first.

Tet

Budapest, Budapest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

Hey Tet14!

Thank you for the advice, I think we might need to drop Zion and Bryce Canyon for the sake of stopping and enjoying Frisco and NOLA for a couple of days.

We don't want to make it a rush, wanna be driving just as much as necessary/day. Texas seems to be a horribly long drive...

Monument Valley is a must for us and I think Route 66 is going through Flagstaff, which is on the way..

We might stop at the places we like, randomly. And definately wanna spend at least 4 days in Frisco and 3 in NOLA.

Any suggestions which is the "must see" on this route: NoLa-Houston-Austin-San Antonio-Carlsbad caverns-White Sands-Tucson-Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Monument Valley-Page-Bryce-Zion-Las Vegas-Death Valley-Los Angeles-hw1-San Francisco ?

Thank you,

Andy

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

They are all must visits but maybe skip Phoenix and Houston for the sake of time. R66 runs through Flagstaff all right but east to west and you are going to drive south to north. Short stretch from Flagstaff to Williams before getting to Grand Canyon NP. Williams is a cute R66 town.

I didnot even mention Yosemite NP. You can visit Yosemite if you do:

Los Angeles-Cambria-Monterey-Yosemite NP-SF. You definitely need reservations from places like GC, Monument Valley and Yosemite. I also would recommend to make reservartions along Pacific Coast in july. Keep an eye on the very busy week for 4th of july. (independence Day)

Tet

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

With the many National Parks etc on your way best is to buy an America the Beautiful pass at $ 80,-- valid for a year. Buy it at the entrance of your first NP. It''s not valid for Monument Valley though.

Also buy a cooler for this trip when you''re in the USA. You will need it.

Kerteminde, Fyn...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

You might buy a small camper with buyback, it could turn out to be cheaper.

Camping in NP's is quite cheap and you have your accomodations on your back :-)

Try i.e http://www.camper-usa-canada.com/index.php

Have a nice trip

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,844 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From East Coast to San Francisco!

Steen - have you successfully bought and sold a camper in the USA? If so, we'd love to hear how you did it.

It's not something we recommend on this forum for overseas travellers who don't have family connections in the USA or for those on trips less than say 6 months as the hassle and time it consumes is not worth the effort and aggravation involved.

Andy - to see all the national parks and places you wish to visit, you will need your own wheels. Bus routes won't get you near enough to where you wish to visit and there are no taxis in remote areas to get you further, plus many of the long distance buses have certain shortcomings which means regulars on these forums based in the USA do not tend to recommend them.

SWT