We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon April 2014

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon April 2014

Hi All I am planning a trip with my family next year for my 40th and husbands 50th. We are taking our two kids as well who will be 15 and 10. The Grand Canyon is the main draw, my wish list! We are looking at adding in Disneyland and Vegas too but not too strict on other places. Coming from Scotland we are looking at spending a fortnight as the flight is so long and making the most of it. I was recently diagnosed with MS and need refrigeration for injections that I need to take every day which may impact the hotels we can stay in along the way. Does anyone have any ideas where else we should stop or how long we should stay at each.

thanks

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon April 2014

As for needing refrigeration, you may want to check into electric coolers.

http://tinyurl.com/a54msmw

ktown

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,913 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon April 2014

Many hotels have a minifridge in the room, but if there isn't one, the hotel should provide you with one for no cost (medical needs.)

How long to stay? That's up to you and your travel style.

Here is one idea for a 13 night trip ->

LAS - Las Vegas (2 nights) - Death Valley NP (1 n) - Los Angeles (2 n) - Anaheim (3 n) - Kingman (1 n) - Grand Canyon NP South Rim (2 n) - Page (1 n) - Zion NP (1 n) - LAS

Or you could end it with GCNP - Sedona - Phoenix Airport

Or you could stay longer in fewer destinations. Do you like to move often or to thoroughly explore a destination?

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon April 2014

Good ideas from PNWF. You could also do a one -way, maybe LV to LA / Anaheim, saving the theme parks till last, and maybe put Bryce Canyon into it, and, or Monument Valley, but you will need to spread out your nights then.

Obviously, you can do that loop trip out of LAX to if flights are cheaper to there, as they often are from the UK compared to LAS.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon April 2014

This might be the one and only time we get to do a trip like this due to health and financial reasons so seeing as many places as we can without doing too much/missing things is our main priority. It might be the best option to leave the theme parks til last and give our son (10) something to look forward to. My husband will do most of the driving but he is a bit nervous about the busy interstates, he's only driven in Florida before. The biggest issue for him is LA and the driving there.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,331 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon April 2014

Honestly, if he can drive round the M8 through Glasgow city center then he can drive in LA.

There may be more lanes but he'll soon get the hang of it : ). Try and avoid the peak periods if you can, and I would not suggest you look to drive the first day any kind of long distance ( but the first morning you will be wide awake about 3am!!).

If you look at PNWF's plan, if you go to LV you don't need a car for the first two days, and you can pick up at a number of LV hotels, depending who you book with, Hetrz and Avis have the most, but I usually do Dollar out of TI.

If you do pick up on arrival at LAS, its a relatively short drive, and easy if busy drive, to any of the Strip hotels.

Then go round the Canyon, Page, Bryce, Zion, through DV to LA. In LA are you also thinking Universal? Disney is in Anaheim, whilst Universal is closer to LAX and Hollywood..

Edited: 14 February 2013, 12:43
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon April 2014

Meant if you fly into LV, then out of LAX.

We can give you links to get the one way free, but it will be with Alamo or Dollar probably. Alamo has no hotel locations in LV, but has depots near the Strip.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 12:45
7. Re: Grand Canyon April 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:16