We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

I will be on my own 67 years old on my way to visit my son in the navy base , any information on my rout will be great! Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

Fly, to New Orleans... Amtrak, from there to Meridian... The drive alone in a car would be a expensive bore ... carracar

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,382 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

Or you can fly from Miami to Jackson MS then drive to Meridian.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

This is the road trip forum, so I guess you are asking for drive ideas.

You would eat up 13 to 14 hours, allowing time to grab one pleasant meal break plus gas and normal road stops. For sure, you gain an hour on the clock, but you’ll still leaving at first light and probably dark when you arrive in Meridian.

So I’m guessing you want to overnight somewhere.

Why not drive up to Orlando, to Tallahassee through Gainesville, then to Pensacola and Mobile and finally north to Meridian – maybe overnighting about halfway near Tallahassee. It’s basically 1-95, to I-75, to I-10 all the way to Mobile. Then I-165 to I-65 around Mobile to pick up US Highway 45 to Meridian. A GPS might be nice for getting around Mobile and onto the right road.

Traveling alone you might really like overnighting somewhere pleasant and safe. Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Suites along with the various Hilton brands are good examples. They provide nice enough breakfast in the morning; and if I were traveling alone and not sure about going out to eat at night I’d just call for a pizza delivery right to my room.

Otherwise, if you're looking for some more adventurous options, let us know.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

I do want to stay over night in some safe place but like to avoid a big city, somthing nice right off any hige way will be nice.Thanks

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

Hi,

I'm just curious when you'll be making the trip (generally speaking)... March is typically filled with college spring breaks and I'm sure many of the hotels/motels along the coast may be booked with kids. You may want to steer clear of that.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

Either last week of March or first week of April, my son will be graduate from A school/navy

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

Congrats to your son! (Former navy officer here.)

The last weekend of March is Easter weekend, so that may complicate things a little.

Here's the direct route:

http://goo.gl/maps/FSNjl

If you stop overnight in Tallahassee, that's a little more than halfway between Miami and Meridian. It will be about 7.5 - 8 hours of drive to Tallahassee (depending on traffic); and another 6.5 - 7 hours to Meridian.

I have to admit that I've only driven past Tallahassee on I-10 and haven't stayed there, so you'll have to defer to someone with more local knowledge than me for a specific hotel recommendation. Still, zooming in on the map at Tallahassee, there appear to be hotels/motels within half a mile or so at each of the four main exits off of I-10. (Each of the red dots on the map below represent a hotel.)

http://goo.gl/maps/ShjGY

If you have time on your way to or from Meridian, south of Mobile there's Bellingrath Gardens, which may be worth a visit.

http://www.bellingrath.org/

Also, if your son has time after graduation, you may want to check out the USS Alabama in Mobile as well:

http://www.ussalabama.com/

Of course, that may remind him too much of work! :-)

I hope that helps and congrats again.

Zed

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

Either last week of March or first week of April, my son will be graduate from A school/navy

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

Either last week of March or first week of April, my son will be graduate from A school/navy. Thanks, I plan to drive at least 10 hours the first day, leave @ 6:00 AM , thanks again.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm traveling from miami to meridian missisipi

I just glanced at Crestview FL. It’s right on I-90 and shouldn’t be much influenced by College Spring Breaks. A hotel in Crestview might meets your requirements:

According to Google maps, it would be a 9 hour drive from Miami. Allowing an hour or more rest stop time, it’s just over 10 hours and remember you’ll gain an hour on the clock. It is not in a big city, and has a wide range of hotels and motels just off the highway. You could stay there and be fresh the next morning for navigating around Mobile.

You’d have about 4 more hours to Meridian the next day.

Crestview shows a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, which are top of the line in that order. A Quality Inn, and Econo Lodge which are part of the Choice Brand. There’s something called Country Inn by Carlson with which I’m unfamiliar. And a couple others which may be local. The Super 8 and America’s Best Value are the least expensive; if possible I think a female traveling alone might not choose these.

I imagine there are similar convenient towns along the way.