We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Texas

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip Texas

My husband and I are flying into New York on 20 April-6 May 2013. Thinking of spending 3 nights in New York, then fly out to Atlanta, rent a car and start our road trip of Texas. From Atlanta, Augusta, Colombia, Charloteville, Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Oaklahoma, Dallas, Houston, Galviston, New Orleans, back to Atlanta on 5 May to fly back to New York.

Any highlites and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Texas

We travel in the south and in Texas often and imo you have way too much planned for your time- here are my suggestions- this is based on 14 days-

Fly into Atlanta- day 1

Chattanooga- day 2

Nashville- day 3-4

Memphis- day 5-6

Vicksburg- day 7

Dallas- day 8-9

Houston- day 10

Galveston- day 11

New Orleans- day 12-13

back to Atlanta- day 14

Still going to be a lot of driving and not going to my favorite place in Texas which is San Antonio- much rather go there than Dallas.

If you do not include Texas it would cut down on driving and could include Savannah and Charleston which are great southern cities in your trip plan.

You could do-

Atlanta

Savannah

Charleston

Great Smoky Mts. National Park or Asheville

Nashville

Memphis

Vicksburg

New Orleans

Atlanta

What are your interests? southern history, Civil War, music, nightlife, scenery, etc.

Please let us know if you have more questions!!

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Texas

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We shall chew on it and I am sure I shall be in touch with more questions, if I may?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Texas

If I read correctly you will want to spend 3 days in NY before the road trip starting april 20 and fly back may 5 so that only will give you 10-11 days for the roundtrip and you are really packing too much in that timeframe. I'd skip Tx and OKC and make that a future trip. Add some places in the South mentioned by PeachBelle.

Tet

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip Texas

If you really want to see Texas, you should fly into Dallas, Houston, Austin or San Antonio. It's not really feasible to do a 10-day round-trip to Texas from Atlanta, as others have pointed out. If you have already booked your flights and are stuck on Atlanta, then I would suggest going to the coast. You should be able to swim on a lot of the Florida coast by late April/early May. I would go down to Saint Petersburg, personally, then maybe visiting some theme parks in Orlando as well. On the way down, you can take a detour and spend a couple of days in Charleston and Savannah. Don't cut Savannah short though, because it's a great town.

Hope that helps.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip Texas

Many thanks Ted, at the moment I am gathering information and suggestions. We love driving and sightseeing, therefore we would like to see the most whilst in USA.

I shall keep in touch.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip Texas

Many thanks for the suggestions. We love traveling and sightseeing and therefore we would like to see as much as possible whilst in USA.

We have already been to Florida: Orando and Disney. We are not particularly fond of swimming (we are semi-retired), though we like to explore the coast.

We have not booked our flight to Atlanta yet and might consider flying into Dallas for we would like to see Texas and the "cowboy" country. Any suggestions now?

At the moment I am gathering information to make the most of our few days in your country.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip Texas

Thank you Peachbelle for your suggestions. At the moment we are just planning our trip, so nothing is cast in stone. We shall take your suggestions in consideration for the final plan.

We are semi-retired and like driving and sightseeing. On this trip we would like to see the so called "cowboy" country. We love music and would also like to visit places of country and western music, blues, jazz, etc. My husband is into history and war (me, not so much). We would love to have something to eat at a restaurant/diner (tipical American) and listen to music.

We are not the tipical water people, though we love the scenery arount water and the coast. We have already been to Florida.

Hope you have a better idea of our likes and dislikes?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip Texas

If your husband likes history and war then he must visit Vicksburg. IMO the Civil War battlefield ranks right up there with Gettysburg as one of the best in the country.

Ft. Sumter in Charleston is also a great experience.

You could spend a little more money and possibly do a one way car rental and do this trip plan-

Fly into Atlanta- day 1

Nashville- country music- day 2-3

Memphis- blues and Elvis- day 4-5

Clarksdale- blues music- day 6

Vicksburg- Civil war and history- day 6

Natchez- history- day 7

New Orleans- jazz- day 8-9

Houston/Galveston- day 10

San Antonio- day 11-12

Dallas- fly home- day 13-14

This way you get music, great food, history, war and Texas cowboy country.

OK I will toss out another option- depending on where you can get the best flights- if into Atlanta then here it goes-

Fly into Atlanta- day 1

Nashville- day 2-3

Memphis- day 4-5

Vicksburg- day 6

New Orleans- day 7-8-drive back to Atlanta along gulf coast of MS and AL.

Atlanta- get an internal flight thru Southwest airlines- cheap fares from Atlanta to Texas- get them all the time for about $210 round trip.

Fly to Houston or Dallas- Day 8-13- see Texas- Dallas, San Antonio, etc.

Fly back to Atlanta and fly home on day 14

Using this suggestion you would have 2 car rentals but both local and round trip- usually get great car rental rates doing this in Texas- do not book in Atlanta because I live here so no idea of price.

Hopefully others will chime in with their advice- good luck!! Please let us know if you have more questions.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip Texas

Just that I don't think Colleen has 14 days for the roundtrip.

4/20: Flight to NY

21,22, NY

23. Flight to Atlanta

5/5: Flight back to NY

Only 11 full days and a short time for seeing NY.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip Texas

Oh yes I see that know Tet- so all my suggestions just will not work!! Thanks.