We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

Will be traveling this May with two kids, aged 11 and 9. We were planning on doing the drive in 3 days - we're planning on putting in some long hours. No budget limit.

I'm hoping to get some suggestions of things to do along the way to stop and stretch our legs for an hour or two. We were originally thinking of stopping in Kansas City, Oklahoma City OR Sante Fe for half a day - e.g. drive 4 hours in the am, spend the afternoon, then get back in the car for 4 hours in the evening, but we can't seem to make the timing work.

Am also hoping to get some recommendations for interesting / unique places to stay or eat.

We are open to taking the interstates ... or not.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

Why KC ? As it is out of your way... First night Springfield MO. 0n the I-44.Then Albuquerque...Santa Fe is 100 mi. (again) out of your hurried way... Turn then South on the I-25 to Hatch NM, driving the 26 to the I-10 in to Tucson...Eat when you get hungry ... elaborate sit down meals perhaps, await in Tucson ... happy trails...carracar

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

Yes, that's already some 1750 miles of driving shortest way. In real life and kids in tow with the extra stops count on 30 hours of driving. 3x10 hours.... No time for sightseeing imo.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

Yes, I did this exact drive a couple of years ago and, with three days, you have absolutely no time for stops, unless you want to see something at night. I'm all about skipping the interstates but you really don't have time for that either.

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

Thanks for your help. Actually, the trip is one leg of a much longer road trip that involves Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Colorado, etc ... when we plan to slow down and site see.

... so we don't plan on site seeing per se on this leg, but rather looking for something to do while stretching the legs. We were planning on 12-15 hours a day on the road a day, 8-10 of which driving, the rest being, well... rests, gas, comfort breaks.

Was hoping to find some rest stops that have something to offer that is more than a picnic bench.

Alternatively, we'll go to our back-up plan ... we often stop in smaller communities with empty fields and play make-shift four person baseball for half an hour.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

Just after you pass through Amarillo (assuming you go that way), you can visit the Cadillac Ranch. A unique piece of art that is within 100 yards of I-40, and only about a mile backtrack from the nearest exit.. I think it fits what you are looking for. It shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to get off I-40, go see it, and get back on.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

There''s a lot to see on the R66 stretches. Afton OK has a restored fuelstation with a lot of Packards, Clinton and Elk City have R66 museums, so has McLean Tx. Big Texan restaurant in Amarillo and Blue Swallow motel in Tucumcari www.historic66.com

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

Check out this site for interesting things along your route:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

OKC is a great little city. But they moved the interstate and the GPS systems have not caught up. Unfortunately neither has the city signage directing traffic to the interstates is awful. We have iMaps, google maps and a car GPS and we spent half an hour trying to figure out how to get out of downtown. It's pretty bad when you stop at a local business to ask for directions and the reply starts with "it's a little tricky"

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

This is an old thread, The OP already is back a long time.

10. Re: Indianapolis - Oklahoma City - Tuscon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 05:21