We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Montreal to Orlando - summer 2013

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Montreal to Orlando - summer 2013

Greetings!

We are planning a road trip to WDW and Universal this summer and are looking for some "insider tips" from those who have gone before us. As per the recommendations on the "read this first" post, here is some info to help you help us.

Travellers: 2 adults, 2 girls (aged 8 & 11)

Planned Route: I-81 S to I-77 S to I-26 E to I-95 S (going)

I-95 N to I-81 N (PA) (return)

Days planning to travel each way: 2.5 (going) 3.5 (return)

Interests: Hiking, swimming, scenic outlooks, ice cream, natural phenomena, waterfalls, Division 1 College/University sports, anything really "cool" or "quirky" for kids and tweens.

Travelling on a budget

Specific requests:

1) I would like some recommendations for places to stay - my main concerns about any accommodation are #1) cleanliness #2) price #3) quiet location #4) possiblity of breakfast included. I don't mind driving 15-20 minutes out of the way...

2) I would like recommendations of cool places to stop for picnics or to stretch our legs/take photos

3) We are planning to try to get there as quickly as possible, but would like to stop in Washington, DC for at least a day on the way home - so recommendations for Washington "must see's" would be appreciated

4) I'd like suggestions on how to save $$$ by purchasing a SIM card from a US mobile service provider - and suggestions for which provider gives the best deal & coverage. Data plan is a definite must!

5) Our accommodations in Orlando are booked, and we plan a few days at WDW and at least 2 at Universal - but would like suggestions for other things to see/do in Florida. We are willing to drive up to 90 minutes from Orlando to do something really interesting.

Looking forward to learning from the best! Thanks in advance!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Montreal to Orlando - summer 2013

Check out Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA. They each have their own charm and both have cool and quirky aspects. If you are thinking about staying for just one day, post in those two specific forums about "What to do for just one day." The responses should give you a good idea of which place you would prefer. There is a slight rivalry there. :)

If you decide to stay in Charleston and you are on a budget, I always recommend the chain hotels at Patriot's Point in Mt. Pleasant. They are just over the Ravenel Bridge from Charleston. For a spectacular view, think about walking to the top of the bridge.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g54171-d57…

If you decide on Savannah, the classic ice cream stop is Leopold's. Yum!

http://www.leopoldsicecream.com/

Off of I95 in South Carolina, you might enjoy stopping at Lake Santee State Park to stretch your legs. The lake is lovely.

southcarolinaparks.com/santee/introduction.a…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Montreal to Orlando - summer 2013

Thanks, ways2go! Will look into those further! Will also look into drive times from Charleston and/or Savannah to see which one fits our itinerary best, and in which direction. Wish we could spend a week in each!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Montreal to Orlando - summer 2013

You are welcome! And it's Santee State Park--not Lake Santee State Park. Sorry!

The forum experts for both Charleston and Savannah are excellent--do post in both forums with your specifications.

Here are two interesting threads on City-data.com.

city-data.com/forum/south-carolina/818184-we…

city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/116093-un…

I thought you might enjoy the following two sites:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

florida-backroads-travel.com/orlando-florida…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Montreal to Orlando - summer 2013

Curious to know more about your road trip. Which places did you stay? Did you book rooms ahead? What did you do about a cell phone?

5. Re: Road trip from Montreal to Orlando - summer 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:21