We are planning a road trip to WDW and Universal this summer and are looking for some "insider tips" from those who have gone before us. As per the recommendations on the "read this first" post, here is some info to help you help us.
Travellers: 2 adults, 2 girls (aged 8 & 11)
Planned Route: I-81 S to I-77 S to I-26 E to I-95 S (going)
I-95 N to I-81 N (PA) (return)
Days planning to travel each way: 2.5 (going) 3.5 (return)
Interests: Hiking, swimming, scenic outlooks, ice cream, natural phenomena, waterfalls, Division 1 College/University sports, anything really "cool" or "quirky" for kids and tweens.
Travelling on a budget
1) I would like some recommendations for places to stay - my main concerns about any accommodation are #1) cleanliness #2) price #3) quiet location #4) possiblity of breakfast included. I don't mind driving 15-20 minutes out of the way...
2) I would like recommendations of cool places to stop for picnics or to stretch our legs/take photos
3) We are planning to try to get there as quickly as possible, but would like to stop in Washington, DC for at least a day on the way home - so recommendations for Washington "must see's" would be appreciated
4) I'd like suggestions on how to save $$$ by purchasing a SIM card from a US mobile service provider - and suggestions for which provider gives the best deal & coverage. Data plan is a definite must!
5) Our accommodations in Orlando are booked, and we plan a few days at WDW and at least 2 at Universal - but would like suggestions for other things to see/do in Florida. We are willing to drive up to 90 minutes from Orlando to do something really interesting.
Looking forward to learning from the best! Thanks in advance!