We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Orlando to Irving,Tx

Community of...
6 posts
Save Topic
driving from Orlando to Irving,Tx

Hi, everybody,

Following ted's advise I moved my topic to here. This is my first posting in this forum. I think i need your help and I am sure you can help me.

I will be travelling in June 2013 with my wife and my daugther,14.

First, we will be in Miami and Orlando visiting some family, then we will drive to tx.

I know that there are so many things to see, visit, must see, etc in between these cities and along the road.

I am sure you can help me with your advises.

I have 4 days for this trip. I will rent a car in orlando. Based on map aplication I Have 3 roads to choose and I think that the best is going by the coast, am I right?

Thnaks one moe. Time

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Orlando to Irving,Tx

It depends on what you're looking for. If I were just going by preferred road, then I would do I-10 to I-12 to I-49 to I-20. That will get you around Houston. I also don't like I-20 through Louisiana because of road condition and the number of trucks. Getting to I-10, the Florida Turnpike would be best.

You may let road construction influence your route decision. Reduced speeds and increased traffic through resurfacing projects can add a lot of time. Check each state's road conditions web site just before you go and, if you see a "lane closed" or (much worse) "road closed" notice somewhere, then that's a good route to avoid. But you have to pay attention to the times as a lot of the work is done at night.

This is a long 2-day drive or an easy 3-day, so you have a day and a half or so for sightseeing. That said, what are your interests? The beach? The Gulf Coast, particularly around Pensacola, is very different from the Atlantic coast. You get the sugar sands that are often seen in postcards. There's also New Orleans, Cajun country near Lafayette, and several Civil War sites along the way (Natchez, Vicksburg).

Hope that helps.

Community of...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Orlando to Irving,Tx

Colinaz, excelente advises. I will check all the road traffic alerts. Can u tell me somthing aboutNew Jersey, i guess is good to stop by there. Any suggestion?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Orlando to Irving,Tx

New Jersey? Generally, no, it's not good to stop there. There's not much of interest there. If you're asking "should I stop in New Jersey on my way from Florida to Texas?" then you should look at a map.

4. Re: driving from Orlando to Irving,Tx

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:15