We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 66 on a Harley!

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Route 66 on a Harley!

Hi

My partner and I are planning our next big trip and would lik to try Route 66. We will have 3 weeks to spare from July 23rd 2013. He would like to do it on a Harley, so would I, but I'm a little more concerned about issues. He has very little biking experience but he could easily get a numbers of lessons on a Harley before we go and some driving experience.as I have sourced where this can be done. I would be riding on the back of the bike!! However can anyone offer advice about whether he would be able to gain enough experience over the next 3 months and will the heat be too much to bear in places such as Death Valley at that time of year? We are a little tied with when we can go! Would early morning starts help in certain areas to avoid the heat or are there enough stops on route to get shade?

Would love any advice we can get?

Yvonne & Paul

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,715 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 66 on a Harley!

Have you investigated renting Harleys for a one way road trip? I have absolutely no experience of this and no knowledge of the availability of such a deal. However, if they do exist, I'd expect it to be pretty pricey!

As to a bike in the heat of Death Valley at that time of year. Two years ago we were in DVNP during the last weekend of August - equally hot - and met a group of Harley bikers from Wisconsin. They were moaning bitterly about the heat and were melting in their leathers, but this was stopped and parked at a low point. They had said the rides themselves were fine, as we chatted about their trip (partly on R66). Certainly it's a little cooler in the early morning, but not much because it's so low!

For R66 info itself, and route options just put that into the search box on this forum and you will pull up lots of topics, but almost none relate to riding bikes, just car trips.

Sounds like a great experience however, once you've overcome some of the logistics.

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 66 on a Harley!

Death Valley is not on R66. But it also can be very hot (and humid) in the mid west and plains and very hot in Tx and in Ca. www.historic66.com First thing to do if you want to ride R66 is to buy a good book for that. Ez66 Guide comes to mind first. It's a great adventure but in the wrong time of year imo.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 66 on a Harley!

Hello..we are bikers from Colorado and have done many rides in July to the desert SW..yes really hot..we have "aqua-vest" really neat vest that you soak in water ..and resoak in water at every stop..the only way we made it to Lake Havasu in July....we did not have our leathers with us..if you are self contained on the bike..you will have no-where to store leathers when not wearing them..in summer..really not needed. as far as the experience part ..only your partner will know if he feels confident enough..we ride a ultra street glide..and he has decades of experience..for that kind of ride you will have to get a big bike (not a sportser)..road king..or something like that..a lot of the Harley Stores also rent Harley's..you may look into that..Good Luck!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 66 on a Harley!

Yvonne & Paul, you will have a wonderful adventure on Route 66. Be certain you get a good guide book (Route 66: EZ66 Guide for Travelers) and do plenty of Internet research. You need maps so you can avoid those nasty Interstate highways! :-)

A friend of mine owns a restored 1930s full-service gas station in Afton, Oklahoma. She has displays of Route 66 memorabilia and two beautiful showrooms holding her collection of classic cars, including a fantastic collection of Packards. Best of all, everything is FREE, no admission.

Here are links to her website and also her daily blog.

Afton Station - Route 66 Packards (Oklahoma)

www.postcardsfromtheroad.net/afton.shtml

Ramblings of a Route 66 Business Owner

http://aftonstationblog-laurel.blogspot.com

Regards,

Ron

Tulsa

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 66 on a Harley!

I would like to do a biking tour in the USA as well - I think I've watched too much 'Easy Rider'!

I recently passed my (UK) theory and hazard perception parts, I will be doing the direct access 'straight to big bike' license course in the spring.

When doing a bit of google research about US bike hire, I often found that there was a requirement to have held your bike license for at least 2 years. I'm fine with that as I am sure I would enjoy it more as a confident and experienced rider than a novice.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 66 on a Harley!

I don't know why I didn't notice that you are coming from Ireland..my daughter and I toured Ireland 2 summers ago and had a "brilliant" time! We were there for the summer solstice and loved that..while there we only saw 1 harley in Killarny..we were admireing it and a guy came up and hopped on it and I took pic..come to find out it was not his bike! That would never happen in the US..not one guy in the US would ever hop on a bike that was not his! Anyway..I hope you figure out your trip and enjoy RT 66..

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,715 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route 66 on a Harley!

Rob - yes, it's extremely difficult to find bike rentals in the USA for any foreigner (and probably any local, too) who has not held a full bike license for less than 2 years, so you've plenty of time to save up for the trip and do your homework on what you want to do. However, this is pianolady's topic. If you wish to continue the conversation on your own personal trips plans and seek advice from the regulars on this forum, please may I suggest you start a new thread with your specifics in the title and topic contents, and we can take it from there.

SWT

8. Re: Route 66 on a Harley!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 06:15