We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

Burnsville...
2 posts
Save Topic
Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

My family and I are planning on traveling to attend a wedding in Sedona in mid-June. We will fly into Vegas (due to cheap flights ... family of 5 ... kids ages 17, 15,13) rent a car and then taking 4 or 5 days to make our way to Sedona and ultimately flying out of PHX back to Mpls (total travel time 7 - 9 days). I would like to take in the GCanyon (north or soth rim?) and other Nat'l Parks, points of interest along the way. Any thoughts on an itinerary?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

Do you have interest in staying in Las Vegas at all?

The North Rim is a bit out of the way and will take longer to reach. Best to stick with the South Rim.

If you're interested in the Grand Canyon, it's best to stay at one of the lodges in the park. Unfortunately, they tend to book up months in advance. You should try to book now and then work the rest of your trip around that. http://grandcanyonlodges.com/

What time are you getting into Vegas? I ask because it's nice to be able to see a sunset at the Grand Canyon and, if you can't make it by the first evening, then you can stay in Williams and come to the park the next day. Otherwise, a night in the park and a full day there, then a night in Flagstaff, should be sufficient, I think. But you have time for two nights.

I would stay in Flagstaff at least one night because it's very pleasant there in the summer. It's a quintessential college town, but all the students will be gone and the weather will be very nice. While there, you should visit Wupatki and Sunset Crater National Monuments, to the east of town. Well worth it. You could also ride the ski lift up at Snowbowl. It takes you to the only place in Arizona with tundra. It is fairly cold though, even in June, and there may still be snow on the ground up there.

Phoenix is horrendous in mid-June, so avoid going down there as long as you can.

Hope that helps.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,081 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

Hi nelsonfamily

colin has made some great suggestions. You will love Grand Canyon and I'm sure the kids of all ages will enjoy some hiking if you're all active. Sedona is also a great fun destination, many folk love the Pink Jeep tours there, but they're pretty expensive.

While heading south to Phoenix, other attractions to consider nearby might be a few Route 66 towns. Also, while heading to Phoenix on I-17, there's the Tuzigoot Monument or Montezuma's castle to consider.

Have a great time,

SWT

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

If lodging is fully booked in GCNP, look at Tusayan, the small gateway town at the southern entrance. There are 5 or 6 places there, but you may run into the same problem. Do keep checking on www.grandcanyonlodges for changes; since people often book a year in advance there are cancellations that occur. It is often worth a phone call to the booking office, even if nothing shows up on the website. Many many times cancellations occur and never make it back online because some lucky person snaps them up on the phone.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

Hi.

If your not going to stray in LV, then maybe drive after arrival ( if its early enough) to Kingman, via Hoover Dam and see the route66 stuff etc in town. Next day, via the Kingman to Seligman section of route66 to GCNP for 2 nights.

You may also want to consider Page for a night to see Antelope Canyon and Horsehoe Bend then south to Sedona via Sunset Crater etc.

How long are you in Sedona for, or is it all the rest of the time until you just go south to PHX and fly home, which you can do the same day from Sedona?

Edited: 27 March 2013, 08:26
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

Another option is to travel from Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce, Page and GC in 5 days.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
328 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

My husband is "attention deficit" and a 5 day road trip from Sedona to Vegas worked very well for us. Keep in mind you will be living out of your suitcases from the car. If i was planning I would do the following:

Day 1: Leave Vegas EARLY and head to Bryce (4.5 hours) stay in Bryce NP. (check out the stars at night)

Day 2: Leave Bryce NP go to Zion (2 hours) stop and do Canyon Overlook Trail before the tunnel. Once at the park and weather allows in June do the Narrows or Angel Landing to Scouts Lookout.

Day 3: Leave Zion for Page (2.5 hours) do an afternoon Raft Trip.

Day 4: Up early for an Antelope Canyon tour. Leave for Grand Canyon (2.5 hours)

Day 5: Leave GC for Sedona (2.5 hours)

Don't fall asleep at the wedding.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

I'd do Zion before Bryce. You'll lose one hour between Nv and Ut and gain one hour between Ut and Page because Arizona doesnot observe daylight saving time except for the Navajo Reservation.

8. Re: Las Vegas to Sedona / Phoenix roadtrip itinteray suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:15