We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas road trip

south yorks
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Texas road trip

My husband and I are hoping to do a road trip in Texas this September. we will probably be flying into Houston and out of Dallas but may be flying in and out of Houston, depending on flight prices and car rental charges. we have a rough guide of where we would like to visit:-

San Antonio

Austin and the hill country

Big bend

Dallas Fort Worth/ Dallas.

Is it possible to take the interstate from Austin area and drive just part of the Big Bend? I understand there is only one lodging area, and we don't want to camp. Would we have to book for September, because its difficult to say exactly when we would arrive there?.

Can you also advise on places to see after the big bend and heading towards Dallas

We will be in Texas for 14 nights

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas road trip

Big Bend is about an 8-hour drive from Austin. It would not really be possible to drive out there and drive back in one day, if that's what you're asking about. You can see most of Big Bend in a full day if you're not hiking. If you can't stay overnight at the lodge in the park, there's lodging in Alpine and Terlingua that offer relatively close access to the park. You do need to book it well in advance. September is not at the park as busy as other parts of the year, but it's always busy at that lodge because there's only the one.

Not much between Big Bend and Dallas. San Angelo would be worth a stop, as it's a nice town. There's also Granbury, which is also a cute small town.

Quite a bit to see between Houston and Austin: the Blue Bell Creamery, the Shiner Brewery, Washington on the Brazos, barbecue in Luling and Lockhart, sausages in Elgin, etc. There's also quite a bit to see and do northwest of San Antonio and west of Austin. If you're interested in natural beauty, that's where I would suggest you spend most of your time.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas road trip

For some more Big Bend NP perspective, if you drive there via I-10, you will turn south at Fort Stockton and drive to the very small town of Marathon. From there, it is about an hour's drive to the entrance of BBNP. Then another half hour (without stops) to the visitor center at Panther Junction. Then another half hour or so to Chisos Mountains Lodge. If you do decide to go, you do have to spend at least one night there, and lodging in the park is preferable to that outside the park for many people.

One way to do this would be to go to Houston, then Galveston, then San Antonio. From there, on to BBNP, back via the Texas Hill Country to Austin. Then on to Dallas and Fort Worth. You could easily spend two nights in the Hill Country, perhaps basing yourself in Fredericksburg. Lots to do in the area, including wineries, BBQ, US Presidential history in the Johnson ranch and Texas White House.

If you decide you don't want to do the drive to BBNP, you could consider a dude ranch stay in the Hill Country.

One possibililty would be two nights Houston, 1-2 nights Galveston, 2 nights San Antonio, 1-2 nights BBNP, 2 nights Hill Country, 2 nights Austin, then Dallas/Fort Worth. In Fort Worth many people enjoy the historic Stockyards District.

Make sure you check on the drop off fee for a one way rental if you fly in and out of two different airports.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas road trip

Have to say i would not miss Big Bend, and at least one nights stay at Chisos Mountains Lodge. There is also a resort at Lajitas, but the Lodge is the place to stay.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas road trip

I also will recommend Big Bend for a visit but at least 2 nights. We were lucky to get a room at Chisos Mountains Lodge (in october) but it was the last one available so make a reservation. North of Big Bend is another great area called Davis Mountains. We liked our stay at Indian Lodge.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
9,227 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas road trip

Terlingua is an interesting, surprisingly lively "ghost town" near Big Bend that's a great place to spend a night.

Level Contributor
85 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Texas road trip

We took a Texas road trip a few years ago. We stayed at the Chisos Lodge at Big Bend NP for three nights. It is one of the largest national parks. For us the best area of the park was that closest to the lodge. There is a good restaurant located there as well as a gift shop. The lodging was fine and I definitely recommend that you make reservations. It is a long drive to one of the neighboring towns.

We really liked the area around Fredericksburg. There you will find a number of B&Bs, other lodgings, wineries, a World War II museum and an adequate amount of restaurants.

7. Re: Texas road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:15