We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

Dear Travellers,

I am a beginner in this but I have this hidden urge somewhere to hit the road & go on a road trip from New Delhi to London. I am well aware that it sounds thrilling but can be dangerous & tricky but would like to do it once before I grow old. It requires a lot of planning & funds hence, I would like to start working on this project at the earliest. May I request you to kindly fill me up with your inputs & what all things are most important in order to go on a trip like this? Getting a trip like this sponsored would be a great idea but I am sure there would lots of people like me ready to go on a expedition like this or if you have any info about a expedition going like this which I can be a part of in order to fulfill my dream.

Thanks very much in advance & looking forward for your inputs.

Best Regards,

PO

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,686 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

Did you have a look at the map? How long would your trip be? There are some hostile countries on the way.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

"May I request you to kindly fill me up with your inputs & what all things are most important in order to go on a trip like this?" - The two most important things are lots of time and money.

How are you planning to do this trip - will you be driving or your own etc, by road it's around 5,500 miles via Afghanistan, Iran etc and you no doubt will have visa issues to deal with enroute.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

First of all thanks a lot for your support & expressing your views about my proposed trip. The trip is in a very initial stage right now, I would like to plan step by step. Yes I have had a look at the map but not as detailed as one should. After reading stories about other people I am confident we can finish his journey in 15 days. In terms of time & money that is not a problem.

I am currently building my team which would not have more than 5 people. We would most certainly drive our own vehicle taking rounds & as far as I know this route has been used several times by different people sporadically.

In-fact there is another side to this urge, either I do this with my friends or be a part of an expedition which is somewhere getting planned, as we discuss (something like a Nat Geo or Discovery Expedition) in order to fight the visa issues indirectly.

What do you think am I thinking in the right direction? Your valuable comments please.

Thanx - PO

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

"After reading stories about other people I am confident we can finish his journey in 15 days. " - I would have thought you need more time than that as 15 days gives you an average daily driving distance of over 350 miles.

I would imagine some of the roads would be quite poor and in my opinion you are simply going to spend all day, every day driving and see very little enroute.

"In-fact there is another side to this urge, either I do this with my friends or be a part of an expedition which is somewhere getting planned, as we discuss (something like a Nat Geo or Discovery Expedition) in order to fight the visa issues indirectly. " - If you're thinking that Nat Geo etc will fund or support this trip as some sort of expedition then I would doubt that very much.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,855 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

Hi Puneet

Please may I ask some questions, and add some comments, from my perspective.

You say this is the very initial stage of your planning, but nowhere do you say when you intend to do the trip. I would say that you really need many months of planning to do this trip successfully as there is probably an awful lot you need to learn about, and lots of arrangements to make, even if you have the funding in place and time to prepared and actually make the trip. Also, I would never recommend you do the trip during mid winter as mountain passes get closed by snow and poor driving conditions will make your trip slower and much less enjoyable. Mid summer will mean extreme heat on the high plains and plateaux, so you'll endure unpleasant conditions at the other extreme. Thus, spring or autumn would seem to me to be the best times to make the trip.

What will you do with the vehicle once you reach London? I don't think you will be able to sell it, and shipping it back to India will be expensive. Also, how do you plan to get home? One way airfares are often more expensive than return flights!

As Tom has pointed out, if you opt to do the trip in 15 days, it would be day after day of relentless driving to achieve that 350 mile average. What would be the point of the trip? Surely, unless you can stop to visit notable historic towns along the way, or meet the locals, why would you not just fly to get to London the fastest way? Even if you have no plans to stop, you'd still need contingency in the event of a breakdown or border delays somewhere.

I have no idea where you'd find insurance (both travel and car) to cover this trip, but I've not looked. It is something you'd need to consider. Even if you've made sure that the car you will use is fully serviced and in tip top condition before you set off, you'd need to carry a few spares with you of the kinds of things that might wear out fast. You would do well to be familiar with basic car maintenance and certainly be able to top up fluids like oil and water as you travel.

You also need to learn about travel visas for each of the countries you will pass through. Depending on your nationality and the diplomatic agreements between your own country and each that you will visit, you might need to obtain visas in advance from the embassy in New Delhi or wherever in India. Some charge hefty fees!

Nat Geog and Discovery Channel probably get a dozen requests for funding daily. I'm afraid, unless you have something extremely special to offer or an exception, unique proposition, your chances of getting funding from those entities are very unlikely. Your chance of getting any kind of sponsorship would be unlikely, but you'd be better off contacting sources in your home market to get a local angle on the idea. Good luck with this!

You have a lot to consider and lots to learn, but it should be an interesting challenge. Please keep us posted with your progress and the trip itself.

SWT

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

Dear SWT,

Yes you are absolutely right to judge me that I am too new for something like this. However, I feel this once in a lifetime trip would give me greater insights about myself & can prompt/teach me to do things in a better way. With your above reply I have added a lot of things in my to-do list on which I have to research & continue exploring avenues to make it a success. In-fact your reply has been extremely helpful & gives me a new direction to explore.

Thanx - PO

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

HI Punnet,

What is your status / experience so far??

I am planning similar trip but in reverse direction next spring and weighing my options...and routes.. I have experience of driving around half of that .. though mostly on civilized routes (Melbourne - Cairns - Alice spring-Adelaide - Melbourne ) (London - spain- italy and back) ( dallas - orlando - NYC and back) ..all of them in wrecks .. so i think with a bit of preparation I can pull this off.. but I agree with others that 15 days is too optimistic.. you need atleast a month if not two.. and I am exploring routes .. i think this can be done without afghanistan/balochistan (via kyrgyzstan - Tibet ) i am also researching new route via mongolia.. so if you want to share notes/views or may be even ride... please feel free to ping me..

Edited: 16 September 2013, 18:53
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

Planning a trip like this on an internet board. Yeah, sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

Hi,

Wow, what a bunch of negative responses on here! Such cynicism!

I spent a year travelling in India, and I met people from all over Europe who had done the trip in the other direction, so it is definitely possible, and well worth it by all accounts. I met two English guys who did it on motorbikes, a Swedish couple in a little Suzuki jeep, and a Dutch family with two kids under 10 who did it is an old 80's camper/bus conversion amongst others.

So, my main bit of advise would be to go and find another forum, somewhere that actual travellers with adventure in them read and write. I know they are out there. Don't be disheartened by the negative responses here: every mad adventure starts with a very simple first thought. The details will come as you need them to.

Good luck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Delhi to London (BY ROAD)

Hi,

Wow, what a bunch of negative responses on here! Such cynicism!

I spent a year travelling in India, and I met people from all over Europe who had done the trip in the other direction, so it is definitely possible, and well worth it by all accounts. I met two English guys who did it on motorbikes, a Swedish couple in a little Suzuki jeep, and a Dutch family with two kids under 10 who did it is an old 80's camper/bus conversion amongst others.

So, my main bit of advise would be to go and find another forum, somewhere that actual travellers with adventure in them read and write. I know they are out there. Don't be disheartened by the negative responses here: every mad adventure starts with a very simple first thought. The details will come as you need them to.

Good luck.