We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip usa - ny to la

Brighton, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
road trip usa - ny to la

this is where we would like to go...

New York

Atlantic City

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Wild Fowl Bay

St Ignace

Green Bay

Chicago

ST Louis

Kansas City

Dodge City

Colarado Springs

Denver

Salida

Silverton

Monument Valley

Arches

Canyonlands

Bullfrog Bay

Grand Staircase

Zion

Las Vegas

Lake Isabella

Sequoia

Yosemite

Emerald Bay

Silverado Trail

Bolinas

San Francisco

Big Sur

Santa Barbara

Los Angeles

San Diego

Los Angeles

we've found a company who do minivans, so would not need accommodation, just campsites etc.

have budgeted $25 per day spending money each (food, drink, random stuff - not campsites/petrol/insurance/national park entry etc.) and slightly more in bigger cities...

got 42 nights, but could do up to 49..

any comments...

thank you

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

It's a doable trip in 42 to 49 days but I think your food budget of $25 per day is way too low - I normally budget $75 per person per day for food/drink/snacks and I wouldn't consider myself someone who eats at high end restuarants.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

Unless you plan to live on home made sandwiches, your daily budget is waaaay too low. The USA is no longer a cheap as it used to be - actually, I'm not sure it ever was that cheap, just seemed that way perhaps. To self cater, you will need to acquire a cooler of a size to suit the numbers travelling and be very disciplined even so, to keep to that budget.

I trust the rest of your budget is also enough for the petrol/gas, etc. What do you mean by insurance? This needs to be included in the quote for whatever kind of transport you opt for, before you leave the UK. Addiing it on arrival, charged in dollars is always the most expensive way. National parks will be $80 for one pass for the whole trip, covers all passengers in the car or other vehicle (up to I seem to think 11, never needed to know!).

Some wacky destinations on that list. Why St Ignace, Salida and Bolinas? Also, I think your order of travel - but I've not bothered to map it - needs straightening out. I'd not do this trip, whether in 42 or 49 days, but each to their own.

Have fun,

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

What time of year are you coming? We did a trip like that a couple of years ago and it took us 10 weeks and we had been many times before. How long do you want to stay in cities like NY, Chicago, San Francisco, LA and San Diego? Why Atlantic City if you are going to Las Vegas? Missing places like Grand Canyon, Bryce, Monument Valley, Page, Death Valley. Dodge was rather disappointing for us and Bullfrog is a detour and not much there.

Tet

Denver
Level Contributor
203 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

New York Atlantic City Pittsburgh Buffalo Wild Fowl Bay St Ignace (must see - take ferry Mackinac Island) Green Bay (skip replace go Ws Dells) Chicago ST Louis-Kansas City (to bad you can't go Mt Rushmore instead I-90) Dodge City Colarado Springs (take side trip to royal gorge bridge) Denver (este park) Salida (white water rafting) Silverton (take narrow gauge railroad from Durango) (add cliff city of Mesa Verdi Nat'l Pk) Monument Valley Arches Canyonlands (skip, nothing there if you are driving) Bullfrog Bay Grand Staircase Zion Las Vegas Lake Isabella Sequoia (skip the best sequoia trees are in Yosemite) Yosemite (best park in USA but crowed) Emerald Bay (Lake Tahoe?) Silverado Trail Bolinas San Francisco Big Sur (stop at Hearst Castle tour at San Simmion) Santa Barbara Los Angeles

San Diego

Los Angeles

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

Skip Canyonlands? Are you kidding? Some of the best views in the USA from Canyonlands Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point SP.

Denver
Level Contributor
203 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

Dead Horse Point SP is beautiful and very easy to access, I did not know that was a choice. If you love to hike, Canyonlands could be nice, however, in the summer when it is a 100 degrees there is not an option to drive to any of the view points in Canyonlands. The USA has so many accessible Nat'l Parks, that I personally think this one could be skipped when on a 5000 mile cross country trip.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

Island in the Sky is very close to Dead Horse Point. I agree skipping places like The Needles and The Maze in Canyonlands but Island in the Sky is very easy.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,180 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

Canyonlands Island in the Sky is one of the easiest parks in the country to experience phenomenal views literally right from your car or walking 20 feet. The combo with Dead Horse Point is a must do on a trip like this through the region. Arches is even better. Even if you hit a hot summer day, it's simple and easy to see terrain unmatched in the world.

Have fun, sounds like a great trip.

Bromley, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

This feed has been very useful with regards to destinations as I have not heard of some of these since I've been planning my own cross country trip. I need to ask though rosieeatkinson, what minivan company have you found? Where will you pick up and drop off and how much is their drop off charge?

I have been looking for a while now and I find that not all companies have offices in places you want to travel too. Also drop off charges are UNREAL! I would be interested to know which company you have been with. Thanks

Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip usa - ny to la

I do not see the Grand Canyon on your list. I would definitely put that instead of some of the other places you have mentioned.