We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

Hi,

We're planning on a year trip travelling from Canada to Argentina, potentially stopping to work in an international school in central America. The idea is to buy a car in order to go where we want. Any advice on anything would be muchly appreciated as we're only just beginning to look into it all now!

Thanks, Lucy and Ben

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,481 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

Hi Lucy and Ben.

You might want to ask on the Canada forums about the ease of foreigners buying a car there, it is not something we usually recommend in the US due to issues with registration and insurance if you do not have an address there, but maybe those issues are resolvable for you if you have contacts?

Also, a Pan- Americas trip is a big challenge, especially through Mexico, central America and into the northern South American countries.

In particular the Dariien Gap is supposedly an issue with lack of crossing certainty.

You may find this thread interesting and it has afew links, but I'm not sure you will get too much detail here to help once you get further south than Mexico.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k61439…

tripadvisor.co.uk/…36832804

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

From your post, it sounds somewhat like you want to drive from Canada to Argentina but, in reading more, it's also possible mean you want to fly to Argentina from Canada and then buy a car there. Is the latter the case?

You'll need to research this more, it seems. The Darien is the biggest challenge. It's a massive swamp along the border of Panama and Colombia where there are only narrow footpaths that go through. There are also a number of areas in Southern Mexico and parts of Colombia that are extremely dangerous for white foreigners because of kidnapping.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

I suggest you drop the car idea...In Latin America buses can take one most anywhere desired...at low cost... Enjoy further research... carracar

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

HI,

Thanks for all your advice. We're now thinking that we will buy a car in Canada - we have friends who will be our permanent base and we can register it there, then drive Canada and America going where we want before returning to Canada to sell the car. From here, we're going to fly to central America and use buses for the rest of the trip. Does this sound a better idea? Advice from this?

Thanks!!

Lucy and Ben

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

That sounds like a better idea. Indeed, in the future, all better ideas could be measured against this better idea for their relative better-idea-ness.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

There's no bus between Panama and Colombia. There's not even a boat; you have to fly unless you can arrange it with someone. There's one bus service that runs from southern Mexico to Panama: Ticabus (http://www.ticabus.com/eng/index.php). I've taken Ticabus from Costa Rica to Nicaragua on a round-trip. It sucks but it could be worse and it's safe and cheap. Trans-Nica is another option (http://transnica.com/), but it only runs from Honduras to Costa Rica. That last site appears to only be in Spanish but, as you're planning a significant Latin American trip, I would hope that you already have a pretty good command of the language.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

This is fantastic - thank you!! Ben speaks pretty good spanish - mine isn't so great, but i'm planning the intensive month long spanish school in Mexico so should be getting there with it!

Any other advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucy and Ben

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,481 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Canada right down to Argentina...

Hi again Lucy and Ben.

How long will you be in the US for? If its going to be greater in total than the 90 days allowed for on an ESTA, you'll need a B2 Visa.