We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Sedona to SF taking in GC, Mono, Death etc..

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Sedona to SF taking in GC, Mono, Death etc..

My partner and I are taking a road trip from 15th May to 5th June. With just under 3 weeks to see, and so much around, we realise we have to cut a lot of wonderful places out.

We are very much into the driving and exploring and want to take in lots of natural sights. We will spend 5 nights in Las Vegas where we will tie the knot, see some shows, have lots of fun and then back down to serious exploring. My fiance adores Las Vegas and he wishes to spend several days there. For me, its a first. So the timing of Las Vegas is not really up for consideration apart from the fact that we could drop one night there and pick it up on the return from GC if that is the best route but the deal is that we spend 5 nights there in total.(Already paid). I would love some serious advice on what we have come up with so far please and help with May 26 to June 1st.

May 15 Stay LA (arrive late at night)

May 16 LA

May 17 LA We expect to visit the beaches and downtown and one of the Studios. Hollywood,

Bev Hills, etc

May 18 Drive to Las Vegas 266 Mi

May 19 LV

May 20 LV

May 21 LV

May 22 LV

May 23 Drive to Sedona .( via Route 66 Kingman to Seligman) 274 Mi

May 24 Sedona

May 25 Sedona

May 26 At this point we wish to drive up to the Grand Canyon and then north westwards

and wish to visit places like Death Valley, Yosemite, Mono Lake, Bodie Ghost Town,

someone also mentioned on a forum about Bryce Canyon being even nicer than GC.

I have to cut some things out I realise. What? Will we need to return to Las Vegas in

any case due to our itinerary? If it is practical, we will do so as my fiance adores LV

and he also feels the hotels are often cheaper in LV than other areas. As for me, it's

my first time.

May 27

May 28

May 29

May 30

May 31

June 1 Arrive in SF from ...

June 2 SF We wish to experience the hilly streets, take a street car/tram, visit Alcatraz and

a bike ride across the bridge or whatever is best to do. Please advise

June 3 SF Not sure if we need 2 full days here. Dont want to rush it but dont want to spend lots

of time in big cities.

June 4 San Fran to Moonstone Beach, Cambria 234 Mi

June 5 Drive to LAX, 5pm departure 227 Mi

At the same time, we would appreciate knowing the best place to stay within a park such as Yosemite. Are there different areas to stay and some better than others? Are we too late to be booking a room/cabin?

Should we consider cutting out Sedona and just heading north? I heard such great reviews about Sedona that it seemed a worthwhile stop but there is just so much to see!

Many thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my case.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Sedona to SF taking in GC, Mono, Death etc..

Hi.

Hmmm...as the initial time in Vegas is fixed the way I'd normally suggest you did this starting in LA is not viable ( direct to Sedona and GCNP from there). I don't think you have enough time for southern Utah unless you drop Sedona, and so another night in LV may be required.

If you dropped an early night in Vegas then one in Sedona, you could do this, assuming Tioga Road opens on time if not there is an alternative.

22. To Sedona.

23. Sedona.

24. To GCNP.

25. Back to Vegas again.

26. Vegas to Lone Pine through Death Valley.

27. To Mammoth Lakes or Lee Vining with visits to Mono Lake and Bodie.

28. To Yosemite via Tioga Road.

29. Yosemite.

31.To SF.

1. SF.

2. SF.

3. To Monterey

4. To Cambria.

5. Home.

At this late date you need to post on theYosemite forum for some advice on getting lodging around that area, particularly as your coming off Memorial Day weekend.

If Tioga Road is still closed, then you'll need to head south and west out of Death Valley and travel to the south of the Sierras then to Yosemite via Fresno. Ridgecrest or Bakersfield as post DV overnight.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Sedona to SF taking in GC, Mono, Death etc..

Just saw something on the California forum (I think) that suggests that Tioga Pass MAY be opening on May 11 this year. This, of course, depends on whether there is any additional snowfall between now and then.

3. Re: Best route from Sedona to SF taking in GC, Mono, Death etc..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 06:18