We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Hi Planning a 15 or 16 day trip starting around October 10th. Flying into San Francisco and out of Las Vegas. Itinerary so far is :

2 or 3 nights in San Francisco

2 nights driving San Francisco to LA

2 or 3 nights in LA

Definitely want to see the Grand Canyon so was planing on driving LA to Flagstaff via Barstow

1 night stop along the way

1 night Flagstaff

1 Night Grand Canyon

Would we have time to drive to Monument Valley and then to Bryce Canyon before getting back to Las Vegas.

We're not interested in seeing Las Vegas it's just a useful end point for flights back to UK .

Is this do- able ?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

"Would we have time to drive to Monument Valley and then to Bryce Canyon before getting back to Las Vegas."

Depends on how long you have and your starting point - GCNP to Monument Valley to Las Vegas is close to 600 miles so you'd need 2 days to do it.

GCNP to Bryce to LV is a similar distance but is a bit more logical as you're heading west (ish) on leaving the GCNP.

You could do both but not in a limited timescale as they are in opposite directions starting from GCNP - if I had to pick one then I'd opt for Bryce Canyon.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Hi.

15 nights.

3 in SF.

2 on coast, Monterey and Cambria.

3 in LA.

1 in Kingman.

1 in GCNP.

1 at Monument Valley.

1 in Bryce.

2 in Zion.

1 in Vegas.

Maybe drop an night in LA and put it into GCNP or Bryce, as it's a long drive from MV. You could also drive to zvegas from Zion and fly home the same day if you did not want to see it?

Edited: 21 April 2013, 20:24
Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Hi

Thanks. Very torn about not heading to Monument Valley but see the logic in going Bryce, Zion Vegas. Did think about going to Monument Valley and then south via Canyon de Chelly and then on to Albuquerque to fly home from

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Check now for lodging for the national parks--while not as busy in October as in the summer, still have lots of people going there.If you can get it, lodging in the park is generally preferable to not being in the park. On our trip last October, about in your timeframe, I couldn't get my first choice of dates at either Bryce or Zion; had to flipflop my trip to make it work. Once I booked the rooms, I kept checking back (I wanted a cabin at Bryce but none were available for my dates) and through persistence and luck got exactly what I wanted for my preferred dates. Since people have to book so far in advance there are often cancellations, so if you can't get your first choice of rooms, book what they have and keep checking.

If you can't get anything in the parks, check in Tusayan (small gateway town at southern entrance with 5 or 6 options) for GCNP, the Ruby's complex just outside of BCNP and the town of Springdale for Zion. Many people do prefer Springdale over in park lodging here--more dining options and Springdale is on the shuttle route for the park.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Not to confuse you even more but between Monument Valley (or GC) and Bryce you'll find Page Az with many things to do. Glen Canyon Dam, Antelope Canyons, Horseshoebend, Colorado River Rfat, Lake Powell etc.

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Thanks so much for the info and advice. I am (I think) settling on Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and back to Vegas. Think we will reduce time in Sn Francisco to allow a little more time along the coast. We may cut a night in LA to give us more time around Grand Canyon and I am looking at late evening flights out of Vegas so we would go to the airport from Zion.Bright lights etc isn't really our thing. We know we won't be able to see everything. My husband was keen to go further into Utah but realises we just won't have the time - we'll have to save that for another trip.

7. Re: San Francisco, LA , Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 05:16