We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
new york
10 posts
Save Topic
new york city to savannah

planning a road trip in mid october from new york city to savannah. any suggestion about what to see and where to stop along the way. about a 10 day trip in all.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,600 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new york city to savannah

Washington, DC

Williamsburg, VA

Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC

Charleston, SC

Savannah, GA

Lots of history, scenery, walks on the beach, good food. Will be glad to give you suggestions for what to see and do in Wilmington, Charleston and Savannah.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,600 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new york city to savannah

Meant to add-

Washington, DC has lots of museums, etc. and could easily spend a week there. Mt. Vernon is a nice day trip and colonial Williamsburg is a nice fall visit.

Could go inland and enjoy a bit of the mountains in Asheville, NC. Might also enjoy the Biltmore House.

Let us know your interests, etc.

Good luck with your trip!!

new york
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: new york city to savannah

how far would the blue ridge mountians take us off 95 and how out of the way would it be to go to the outer banks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,600 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new york city to savannah

From I 95 taking I 40 it is about a 4 1/2 hour drive to Asheville. Asheville is very near the mountains. The Outer Banks is about a 3 hour drive but you have to check the ferry schedules and that could add a bit of time.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new york city to savannah

Visit the Biltmore Estate in Asheville and Charleston is a must!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new york city to savannah

Two years ago we did a road trip from Cape Cod to New Orleans. We travelled from Falmouth MA to Boston, Washington, Williamsberg, Newport, Wilmington, Charlestown, Savannah, Mobile, and New Orleans.

You have already received very good advice about what places to visit. You have a lot to pack in in just ten days. The only place I would add to the places already mentioned is Newport. One of many highlights of our trip was a boat ride around the US Fleet.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new york city to savannah

Are the Blue Ridge mountains and the Outer Banks two things you'd like to see on your trip? If so, you could do a loop - west out of NYC and down I81 for some mountain scenery (you can get on Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and NC - that road roughly parallels I81). You can head toward the coast in a number of places, including on I26 which goes from north of Asheville, NC to Charleston, SC. From Charleston, you can head south to Savannah. On the way back, you can head up I95 and hit the Outer Banks. Of course, that doesn't leave you much time for any other sights along the way, but you'll have to save them for another trip! The perennial Road Trip dilemma - so many good places, so little time.....

new york
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: new york city to savannah

i think i would like to see the blue ridge mountains and skyline drive. what is there to see and do along that route. is is worth going miles out of our way.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,600 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new york city to savannah

Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive are beautiful but need to plan where you want to stop and where you want to eat, etc. because in some areas there are many miles between exits.

Great Smoky Mts. NP is a great way to see the mountains and some gorgeous scenery and wildlife.

new york
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: new york city to savannah

what is there to see and do in ashville, nc