We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from vancouver to chicago

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic

today, 9:53

hi there,

me and some friends are planning a road trip for 3 weeks starting in vancouver down to washington, san fracisco, el lay, las vegas, grand canyon, and whatever is in between till chicago.

is that posibble in like 3 weeks? we wanna go 14th September - 5th October.

My friend in Vancouver got a Car so we do not need to hire one :)

Hope you guys can give me some advise.

Thank you.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

I suppose you should clearly state your intentions in Southern California or perhaps, transfer them to Las Vegas... Where the proposal might be more of a sure thing... What type of car will you be driving ? What will the travel budget be ?? Do you posses a US road map ??? carracar

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

I am not sure but i think its a honda civic older generation :)

u think till chicago in 3 week would be to much hussle? travel budget... well we all have parents with money :)

Its just I wanna book my flight soonish from London to Vancouver and then back from ? i thought Chicago would be good if we can make it.....

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

Hi and welcome,

If you're talking about a one-way trip in three weeks, it would be possible but you will be spending a lot of time on the road and little time seeing the sights along the way.

However, if your friend with the car has to be back in Vancouver at the end of the three weeks, then that would be far more challenging to have a meaningful trip. if your friend can go beyond the three weeks to return to Vancouver, that would be better.

Please clarify so we can better help you.

Zed

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

hi there,

ya its just a one way trip vancouver to washington, san fracisco, el lay, las vegas, grand canyon, and whatever is in between till chicago. we do not have to drive back to vacouver.

thats why I need to book my flight from London to Vancover and back from Chicago to London if you say its not to much of a hussle otherwise if you could advise from where I should fly back so we can have awesome 3 weeks :)

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

Hi mattbass

As said, you can do that in 3 weeks if you just want to drive and drive and drive and not see too much, not spend time in cities such as LV or hike in the fabulous national parks.

Are you interested in Route 66 and all the iconic stuff that goes with that? Have you any interest or knowledge of what lies between the Grand Canyon and Chicago, as you've yet to mention anything in between those destinations in your posts?

If there's nothing that grabs you, perhaps you might consider ending your road trip in say Denver and fly back to the UK from there. That would give you far more time to explore the west and smell the roses, but it's difficult to judge what interests you as you've said very little in your posts about your and your travel companions' wishes and tastes.

SWT

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

so you think denver would be a better idea to fly back to london rather then chicago so we can spend more time at the other places ??!!

we could do a bit route 66 from el lay to las vegas.

thank you

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,781 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

Flying out of Denver or even Salt Lake City or Phoenix makes much more sense. It will save you several days and allow you to experience the western destinations without rushing.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

I'd say fly out of Las Vegas.

You have an older car so you aren't looking for fast road. I have student friends from China and HK whose parents have bought them Maseratis and such. They love cars and look for a great driving experience.

Are you more interested in cities, or are you also interested in National Parks? There are many National Parks and other areas between VAN and Vegas.

If you are more a fan of cities, you could skip the far southwest and loop through Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Reno/Lake Tahoe, Salt Lake. Denver, Omaha(?), and on to Chicago.

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

The thing is I would love to see the grand canyon so I guess Denver or Salt lake City would be then a good spot to fly back to London.

Otherwise I am more a City interested person :)

Thank you for all your help.

10. Re: road trip from vancouver to chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:17