We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week road trip with 21month old boy

3 posts
Save Topic
Two week road trip with 21month old boy

We are planning a two week road trip from southern Manitoba (near GF). We would like to see YNP, the Redwoods and San Fransisco. Any tips on best route to take? And other must see sights?

Thx!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week road trip with 21month old boy

Hi and welcome to the Road Trips Forum,

First, could you please clarify a couple of things for us... First, "GF"? Grand Forks, North Dakota? Second, "YNP"? Is that Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming or Yosemite National Park in California? Huge difference! :-) But because you reference Redwoods and San Francisco, I'm thinking Yosemite...

Finally, what are your interests? How long do you think your toddler can tolerate being in a car each day? I ask because to make that trip happen, you'll have some very long driving days.

Please get back with answers so we can provide better recommendations.

Thanks,

Zed

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week road trip with 21month old boy

Hi. Thanks for your reply. We live near Grand Forks North Dakota, would like to see Yellowstone National Park. We enjoy nature and historical sites.

Not sure about the travel with the toddler. When he was 9 mths he was better than me and we did a 12hr and a 15hr trip before stopping for the night.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week road trip with 21month old boy

Hi again,

Thanks for the clarification. I should have asked one other question. Is this a one-way trip or a round trip in two weeks?

I just plugged the major destinations into Google Maps and came up with nearly 4,100 miles of driving if this is a round trip in two weeks.

At an average speed of 55 mph (to account for stops for food, fuel, restroom breaks, etc.), that equates to about 75 hours worth of driving time. That's 10 days at 7.5 hours per day of driving, leaving only 4 days to see Yellowstone, Redwoods, and San Francisco.

Yellowstone is worth of 3-5 days to take it in. San Francisco is worth 3-4 days itself. And the coastal drive and Redwoods are worth 1-3 days.

To give you a tad more breathing room, I'd skip Redwoods on this trip and if you want to see redwood trees, go to Muir Woods National Monument just outside of San Francisco.

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

To be honest, I recommend scaling your trip way back to make it more enjoyable. I'd look at perhaps just focusing on Yellowstone, the Tetons and the Black Hills in your two weeks. Or perhaps Yellowstone, Tetons and Glacier OR Yellowstone, Tetons and Rocky Mountain NP.

If you really want to see the coast and San Francisco, I'd look at flying out and spending your time there. You could do San Francisco, Yosemite, and the Redwoods in two weeks.

Hope that helps.

Zed

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week road trip with 21month old boy

Thanks for getting back so quickly! Great advice and will most likely scale back cuz we want to enjoy ourselves.

Thank you again.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two week road trip with 21month old boy

Echoing Zed. Yellowstone and the Tetons are possible, California isn't. Especially with a baby!

Try to drive when he naturally sleeps. We broke our long drive days up when the kids were small into 2 or 3 parts. Up and out at 6 am, morning-person parent at the wheel. Stop at 10 or 11 for a nice long runaround at an attraction, plus lunch. Then back in the car from 2-6 or so, followed by a long runaround and dinner. If we were really trying to make time, night owl parent would take a shift from 9-1 or so. That's eleven hours of driving without any cruel and unusual punishment for your child!

6. Re: Two week road trip with 21month old boy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 06:18