We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

Jacksonville...
4 posts
Save Topic
North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

I am going to be making a big move from North Florida to New Mexico during the summer and will be towing all of my stuff along with my 3 small animals. Its going to be a very long drive and since I haven't been through this part of the country yet I decided to make a road trip out of it instead of a driving marathon. Think it would be cool to stop at some touristy and maybe even not so touristy places. Ive been searching the web but thought I could find some awesome ideas from this wonderful group of people. I always get great tips from Tripadvisor forums.

Ive decided to break the time up into 12 hours each...or somewhere around that. So that would put me around the Shreveport area to spend the night. Unless I find a lot of cool things to do along the way then that could change. I am looking for suggestions on anything - food, things to see, places to stay. I love the unordinary but sometimes the tourist stuff can be fun too. The move is costing quite a bit of money so the cheaper the better on the place I stay or activities I do. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 10:16
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

Traveling with animals causes its own issues. It's harder to find a hotel because not all will accept pets, you end up stopping more often than you otherwise would, and you really can't do much along the way because you can't leave them in the car, especially in the summer.

Maybe some clarifications would help, as I'm not understanding the plan so well:

With regards to the route, the quickest is to follow I-10 all the way. Where are you getting Shreveport? Honestly, Shreveport is probably one of the worst places to stay if you're looking to get out and do things. Even Baton Rouge would be better.

Also, you say you don't want to make this a driving marathon, yet you're talking about driving 12 hours on the first day. That, in itself, is probably way too much. When we moved our cats cross-country, we didn't go more than 7 or 8 hours in a day because it becomes too stressful for them. More than that is also pretty stressful for the driver as well.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

In real life under those circumstances, it will be a 3 days 10 hours per day drive between Jacksonville and Albuquerque(?). Certainly not 2 days. With the more realistic 7-8 hours per day it will take 4 days imo.

Jacksonville...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

I think we are getting hung up on the hours I'll be driving. Let's just forget about that part... I'm just looking for ideas of places to see or stop at along the way. When I put in the address of where I'm going to and coming from its taking me down interstate 20 so that's why it i mention Shreveport. I don't have to stay there it was just the midway point. I have to travel with my pets due to the fact that I am moving and am not leaving them behind. I have made alot of 8-12 road trips and prefer to do it this way. Obviously if I stop a lot then the drive won't be as long.

Do you guys have any places u could suggest? I'm good on the driving time.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

Hi KNickelD

I'm confused. The title of this post says your going to El Paso (from Jacksonville?), but the content says you're going to New Mexico. The fact that your map routed you through Shreveport also implies that you're going to somewhere farther north in New Mexico than around El Paso. What city is your real final destination? That would really help us in offering advice.

Thanks,

Zed

Jacksonville...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

I'm going to Alamogordo. I didn't want to list that because I'm not interested in anything once I hit New Mexico

Texas
Level Contributor
321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

Just a few suggestions that come to mind: maybe Mobile, New Orleans; San Antonio River Walk; Austin (food and music); Big Bend National Park, Marfa Tx (Marfa Lights). Google or TA these locations and see if any of them would be interesting for you, then plan your route with your interests in mind. I agree that shortening your daily mileage quota would be wise, especially if you do want to enjoy some stops along the way. Have fun and be safe.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

Driving I10 most of the way to Alamogordo will be best. You won't get to Shreveport then. A short detour gets you to Carlsbad Caverns from Ft. Stockton and a scenic drive between Carlsbad and Alamogordo via Artesia and Cloudcroft. Cloudcroft is on 9000' though. Balmorhea SP is a nice place to spend the night if you drive via El Paso.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

What do you plan to do with the animals while you stop along the way, especially since this is for a summer trip?

Jacksonville...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

Thank you Sherry and Tet14. I really appreciate your suggestions. For some reason when I plugged in the addresses it only gave me the interstate 20 route...didnt realize there was another way. Having looked again I agree that going I10 would be just as long of a drive but goes through a lot more places that may be worth checking out. We plan to make this drive over 3 days and the information I provided regarding driving times were just estimates. I am in the planning stage and my primary concern and request from this forum is for suggestions on places that might be worth checking out. If anyone has any suggestions they could provide they would much appreciated. If you are going to give me suggestions on driving or my pets, please keep your comments to yourself. Just want advice on Cool Fun Quirky places to stop and eat, or look at, or stay at. Thanks

Edited: 02 May 2013, 23:46
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Florida to El Paso, Need ideas for things to see/do

Alamo, Riverwalk, Fort Davis, the Spoetzel Brewery, the Art Car Museum in Houston, a number of places in New Orleans, McGuire's in Pensacola.

But it's a 3-day drive just driving straight through. In a roadtrip, you can't look at the straight time that the directions give you and think that that's how long you're going to drive. You have to account for meals, gas stops, breaks, all of which end up adding on to the bottom line. And you'll have to find attractions open at night, as you won't be able to leave your animals in the car during the day and will have to get them into the hotel even before going out for the evening.

Good luck though.