We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida or California with an infant?

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Florida or California with an infant?

Hi guys and girls,

My wife and I are looking to have a 2-3 week road trip in either California or Florida in May (2014 or 2015) with our child a 2/3 year old boy depending which year we went.

We did a California road trip for our honeymoon which included San Francisco, Yosemite, Monterey, Hughway 1/San Simeon, Santa Barbara, Universal Studios, San Diego and Las Vegas. We would love to do a journey similar to this but cutting out some of the stops that an infant may not enjoy as much (Vegas). The alternative would be visiting Miami, Orlando and Key west.

I'm not really looking for advice on hotels, cost etc just which would be the best trip with an infant. Sure I will be back for more advice in the future once we have decided which.

Thanks for any help you guys could give us.

Andy

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida or California with an infant?

Hi Andrew M and welcome to the forum,

I'm not sure how much a 2 or 3 year old will remember about the trip, so honestly, I think it becomes more about what you would enjoy doing.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Florida because of its climate and lack of geographical diversity. The average high and low temperatures in Orlando in May are 88°F and 66°F, and it can be quite humid. The average temperatures in Los Angeles in May are 74°F and 57°F. As you already know from your previous visit here, you can see ocean, mountains, or deserts all within 2 hours of LA or San Diego.

Another option might be Virginia and the Carolinas--Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, Asheville, Savannah, Charleston, the Outer Banks, Colonial Williamsburg, Jefferson's Monticello at Charlottesville, Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive.

May would also be a good time to drive around Lake Michigan (although it still could be chilly up north)--Chicago, Saugatuck, Holland, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore, Traverse City, Mackinaw Island, Sault Ste. Marie, Tahquamenon Falls, Whitefish Point, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Copper Harbor, Apostle Islands, Door County, Wisconsin, Milwaukee.

When you plan the dates of your trip, remember that the last Monday in May is a national holiday (Memorial Day) turning that weekend into a three day weekend that is the unofficial start of the summer travel season. Most restaurants, shops, and attractions are open that day, so you won't have any problems seeing or doing anything, but having reservations for lodging that weekend is a must.

I'm not sure if that helps or not. Enjoy planning!

Zed

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,529 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida or California with an infant?

agreed-- at 2 or 3 years old, they will not likely remember anything from the trip. Your trip will need to revolve around the little one. Have a grandson who just turned 3. There is no way I'd do a road trip with him. Too young-- too many hours in the car. Miserable experience! An hour and 1/2 he's fine riding, but much more that and he's restless. They simply are not capable of being cooped up for very long. Perhaps think more in terms of spending a week in each of 2 or 3 spots? Do short day trips. Disney is an obvious one. Age 3 better than age 2 for that. It;s really hard for us to know which state would be better for the child.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida or California with an infant?

The later in the year you'll get to Florida the more humid it will be. Now, begin of may weather is perfect. 80-85F. We just came back from another Florida Road Trip. Although it is certainly doable it pales in comparisson to a trip to California, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado etc. Gorgeous beaches in Florida for sure and lots of amusementparks, nice people and good food (esp if you like seafood, you must try Stone Crab in Florida once...) but from a roadtrippers point of view I'd pick the West hands down.

Tet

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida or California with an infant?

Thanks for the advice, we plan on doing a few road trips to the US while the little one grows up so not as concerned with him not remembering things. As zed1958 said this trip is more about us in terms of experiences.

Wings1980, I think the amount of driving could be a bit much for the little one with a trip to California where we would have 4-5 journeys minimum. Where as Florida we would be spending our time at just 3 places so just the 2 journeys. The your advice about spending longer at 2-3 stops would be better at his age, guess we could break up the journeys pretty well also.

Tet14, I can't pass comment on Florida having never been but your right that California has so much and I'm thinking of waiting until our 10 year anniversary (maybe earlier) rather than the next 2-3 years to have a repeat of our honeymoon and our son would be at a much better age to enjoy a bit of everything (beach, national parks, theme parks etc). It's very hard to chose anything over California for us as we loved it so much and we have so much more we could see.

Hopefully I haven't rambled on to much for you guys! Ha! Thanks again for all your help.

5. Re: Florida or California with an infant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 05:16