We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in FL

Israel
13 posts
Save Topic
Traveling in FL

We're a family of 2 adults + 4 kids (13, 10, 6, 3).

We've booked a trip to FL, we're planning on spending 1 week at Disney, 1 week at a cruise off Jacksonville, so we have 3 more weeks to plan.

We're thinking on taking an RV for 2-3 weeks and travel around, or do some travel with RV and some by car. Still crafting the plan.

We're not familiar (yet) with the area, can anyone throw ideas to what would appeal to our family?

Not sure if we should go after Everglades+Key (10 hours drive or so?). Would be glad to hear some recommendations.

Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in FL

Hi

What time of year are you coming? Do you only want to stay in Florida? What are your interests? Museums? Snorkeling? Beachlife? Other amusement parks? Cities? Where are you flying into? And back?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,717 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in FL

Lots of places in the deep south to visit also. What are your interests?

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,156 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in FL

I was thinking the same about Georgia, South Carolina, even Alabama and Louisiana. Not all of them of course but if you drive the interests answer plenty to choose from, but also still lots of stuff in Florida, Gulf Coast beaches, great State Parks, Cape Canaveral, Miami, Keys and Everglades as mentioned.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 13:38
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in FL

Give not drive the answer, Doh!!

Israel
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling in FL

We'll be arriving to JFK, NY on Aug 1st (2013), we then plan on spending 5 days at Niagra Falls area, and then fly from Buffalo to Florida (either to Orlando or to Miami, depends on the plan that hasn't set yet :)

The only firm dates we have are:

Arriving FL on Aug 6th 2013 (still not set if to Orlando or Miami)

Cruising Sep 1st - Sep 7th (cruise is off of Jacksonville)

Leaving back to JFK, NY on Sep 10h.

We'll have 1 week at Orlando parks, and everything else is not set yet. Since we're with Kids, we'll have to mostly cater to them... it'll be challenging to go with all the kids to Museums, so we're mostly interested more active things, such as nature hikes, nature scenes, bike rentals.

maybe a nice place to stay by a lake (if reasonably priced...) for some time, maybe visiting some nice towns.

Haven't even considered Georgia, South Carolina, even Alabama and Louisiana - do you guys think we should spend time there?

Thanks so much for helping out!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling in FL

There are a few places like this around the state, but this is one of my favorites. Just outside of Orlando too: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29171-d11…

Past the theme parks, Orlando kinda sucks. You can rent the swan boats on Lake Eola, but there's not a lot to do there. I would leave once you're done with your Disney marketing presentation.

I really enjoyed this museum in Jacksonville also, and it has quite a bit oriented toward kids: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60805-d12…

In Jacksonville, they usually have family-friendly things going on at the Landing, especially on weekends: http://www.jacksonvillelanding.com/

There are a few aquariums in the region, including the one in St. Augustine where you can swim with dolphins. St. Augustine, in general, is a pretty interesting town. But probably not too interesting to kids.

For beaches, I would go to the Gulf Coast. You get the white sugar sands that see on Florida postcards, and the water is going to be warmer. You have to watch for red tide though, and you may be coming during the seaweed season, which I hit in going to Panama City in August several years ago. At least the hotel was cheap.

But per your RV idea, I think it's just going to be too hot in Florida to camp each night in an RV. If you have spare time, I think you'd be better off, in Florida, getting a vacation rental on or near the beach that can fit the family.

That said, if you're willing to leave Florida, I would definitely go north toward the mountains. Big change from Florida, obviously, and you should be okay in an RV, although it'll likely still be pretty warm. You can start in Northern Georgia and work your way north to Asheville or so. Your desire to interact with nature is more feasible there. "Nature" in Florida in the summer presents itself mostly in the form of mosquitoes.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling in FL

It's going to be very hot and humid, but if you plan to rent an RV the whole time, then this are my suggestions:

Fly into Miami, and head down to the keys for a few days.

Head north, making sure to visit the Everglades. I love Shark Valley.

Keep going north, spend the night at Lion Country Safari. They have a pool in the campground and a splash area for the kids. You can hear the lions! Also consider Jonathan Dickinson State Park. It's beautiful and near beaches if you'll also have a car.

Head north to Disney. Park the RV at Fort Wilderness. Try to get there close to the end of Aug bc Florida kids will be back in school, so maybe it will be a little less crowded.

Go across to visit the Kennedy Space Center.

Head north to Anastasia State Park where you can visit St. Augustine and enjoy the beach.

I have to kids (8 and 6), and they loved St Augustine. August is a pretty rough time to visit Florida. I'm from Israel, too, but grew up here. The humidity is very different than you may be used to, and makes it difficult to do things outdoors. I agree that the west coast is beautiful, but I think it may be less fun for kids. Also, Florida is huge and you want to be able to hang out in each place a little while. You could fly into Orlando, have fun for a week, then drive up to Georgia. It's a 6+ hour drive. The mountains are beautiful. I like North Carolina, and we took a great 2 week vacation with the kids, but its not as much variety of scenery and cities as a trip through Florida. If you do go that route, I think it's about a ten hour drive.

Garstang
Level Contributor
176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling in FL

What a luxury you. Have with all that time! Having explored alot of Florida with kids in tow i would. Definitely include a trip down the keys, you feel like you have gone to a different world like the carribean. You can have adult chill out time whilst the kids can enjoy snorkelling.

have you got. Space for. Me?

9. Re: Traveling in FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 06:17