We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Travel Insurance

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Travel Insurance

Hi myself and three friends(all over 25) are just putting the final touches to a 3 and a half week road trip around the West Coast of America. Our trip will take us from San Fran - Yosemite - Vegas - Gran Canyon - Sedona- San Diego - LA and back to San Fran. We are currently trying to book a SUV and are unsure as to what insurance we should have. We have found carhire3000 to have good prices and it offers Theft Protection and Collision Damage Waiver as well as unlimited mileage and GPS. From peoples experience is Theft Protection and CDW sufficient insurance or should be be purchasing a more comprehensive insurance policy?

Thanks

Anthony

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Travel Insurance

You need liability insurance as well, if you do not already have it. Liability insurance will pay for damage you cause to other people and other peoples' property in an accident. It's required in all states.

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Travel Insurance

Thanks for the reply colinaz. Would that normally be included in the price if it is not optional? I dont see an option for it on the website?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,936 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Travel Insurance

Here is a long thread about foreign visitors renting cars in the US: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k4713887

If you have any questions about your destinations, please visit the city/destination forums. The Top Questions & Trip Ideas on each page may offer good ideas. In particular, I recommend the forum pages for San Francisco (abbreviated SF), Yosemite National Park, Los Angeles, and California (for the Hwy 1 drive.) I see you've been posting on the San Diego and Huntington Beach forums already.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Travel Insurance

Hi Anthony

PNWF has posted a long but very comprehensive topic which pretty much answers all questions. In simple terms, you will need the insurances already included in the price provided by any reputable third party consolidator frequently mentioned on this forum. Booking direct with the rental companies can also give you prices including the necessary insurances, but just don't, as a non US citizen book using any of the .com websites where your quote is the US$ only. Also, don't leave decisions about the insurance until you pick up the car as this will always cost more than getting it included in the original quote.

If, once you've read the long topic have any queries, just ask!

Have a great trip, and again ask if you need itinerary advice, etc, too.

SWT

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Travel Insurance

thanks for the replies folks.

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Travel Insurance

Hi Guys and sorry to reopen this again. We booked a car with carhire3000(travel jigsaw) and have settled on a Jeep Liberty. We got a price of €800 from the 22nd of July until the 16th of August. It includes the following:

Unlimited Kilometers , Insurance ( - Collision Damage Waiver - Theft Protection - 3rd Party Liability - Supplementary Liability Insurance - Uninsured Motorist Protection ) , Local Taxes , Airport Surcharge , Premium location fee , Homeland Security Fee

It is with Dollar and pick up will be at the airport. The rentals seem to be a lot cheaper when done with carhire3000 as opposed to direct with the company? I am just wondering if there is a charge for additional drivers for car hire in California. There will be four of us in total but my understanding is that California Law does not allow companies to charge for additional drivers. Is this correct?

Anthony

7. Re: Car Rental Travel Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:16