We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

Hi! My roommate and I are moving to Portland OR from Ann Arbor, MI and we were trying to figure out where to stop in between. We were thinking Yellowstone, the band lands, the UP and some other places in between. We have 3 weeks to get out there any suggestions?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,225 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

You could take a northerly route through the UP, over to Duluth. You then have the choice of I-90 through Badlands and on to Yellowstone. I might suggest the I-94 route through North Dakota and Teddy Roosevelt National Park in Medorah, then on to Red Lodge, MT, over the Beartooth Highway into Yellowstone. From there head west to San Francisco, north to wine country, redwoods Oregon coast and on into Portland.

Another option is dropping down to I-70 and visit Colorado then on to Utah's national parks like Arches, Canyonlands and then west through Nevada/Lake Tahoe on to San Fran and picking up the plan above.

Lots of options.

Have fun.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

I like the route thru the Badlands, Devils Tower, Cody, Wy, Beartooth and Yellowstone. All great places! You can easily spend 6 days/nights in Yellowstone and Tetons. When is this trip? If this summer, you will have no lodging open inside the park, likely. Stay in Cody for the musuems and nightly rodeo-- For YNP, check West Yellowstone for lodging. First choice outside of the park. Lodging in Jackson for the Tetons.

Drive thru the Badlands on the way to the Mt Rushmore area. Keystone is a good spot for access to Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Custer State Park. Custer State park is awesome! Iron Mtn Rd and Needles highway are great drives... and the wild life loop is very cool in the cool hours of the day.

Mitchell's corn palace and Wall Drug are fun stops along the way.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

I will be camping the whole trip any suggestions for that?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

ahh... plenty of camping in the areas. Try Custer State Park for camping in that area. The park is just beautiful. Yellowstone has camping-- call and see if you can reserve spots there. Am too "old" for that camping nonsense now! lol so can't help with places, really, for that.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

When is this happening?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

We will be leaving on june 30th! And im looking at different options right now. I haven't been to the upper peninsula yet so wanted to go the northern route and get to Yellowstone after July 4th

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

definitely do some campground research and make reservations where you want to be. Stuff is very busy in the summer. And have fun! :)

8. Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR 3week roadtrip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:18