We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Seattle late June, early July 2013

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Seattle late June, early July 2013

I know there's a lot of these itineraries, and I'm posting to the California, Oregon and Washington forums as well. I've been to SF many times and need no help there. My wife has never been to the PAC NW, and I want to give her a taste, without wanting to be exhaustive. We can go back. For the record, I've done the Portland-Olympic National Park (Lake Quinault Lodge) - Seattle trip and the Seattle-Port Townsend- Lake Crescent-Victoria-Vancouver trip.

Leaving SF morning of June 25 and heading north. Flying back home out of Seattle July 3. Know there will be days with lots of driving.

Thinking of

Night One: Mendocino (It's my 1960's self yearning)

Night Two: Redwoods area (Eureka or Trinidad or Crescent City)

Night Three: Oregon Coast (suggestions?)

Night Four: Portland

Night Five: Portland (including day trip through Columbia River Gorge)

Night Six: Olympic National Park (either Lake Quinault or Lake Crescent or near Hoh)

Nights seven and eight: Seattle

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
16,774 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Seattle late June, early July 2013

Hi.

Looks pretty good to me, with a couple of points.

Night 2. Crescent City, see Redwoods NP that day from Mendocino.

Night 3, Brandon or Florence.

Going to be a very quick look at Olympic NP, I'd suggest Kalaloch or Forks?

Edited: 08 May 2013, 19:39
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Seattle late June, early July 2013

Thank you so much!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Seattle late June, early July 2013

I'd say it seems a little too quick in the ONP. If you arrived at your overnight location in the evening (likely), you'd have to hustle to Seattle the next day. Doesn't seem worth it.

How about Columbia Gorge, Mt. St. Helens and/or Mt. Rainier instead?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Seattle late June, early July 2013

Okay, all these responses have been incredibly helpful. We're going to skip Olympic National park this trip, and have added another night on the Oregon coast instead. Here's what we've reshuffled, with two further questions:

Night One: Mendocino (It's my 1960's self yearning)

Night Two: Redwoods area (Trinidad)

Night Three and Four: Oregon Coast. Should we stay somewhere southern-ish like Bandon and then further up like Florence/Yachats/Newport, or spend two nights in the Florence/Yachats/Newport area? I'm inclined toward the latter, unless there's a compelling reason to break this up.)

Night Five and Six: Portland (including day trip through Columbia River Gorge)

Nights Seven and Eight: Seattle (and considering driving to Mt Rainier/Mt. St Helens on the way from Portland to Seattle.)

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to Seattle late June, early July 2013

You could go either way on the coast. I happen to like the Newport area and would pick the two-night option.

On day 7, pick either Mt. St. Helens (4hr roundtrip from Castle Rock) or Mt. Rainier (get up early - long day). You can't do both.

6. Re: San Francisco to Seattle late June, early July 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 05:15