We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Fort Worth Tx to New Orleans & return via Houston

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip Fort Worth Tx to New Orleans & return via Houston

Hi

Hubby & I have booked a trip from Oz arriving Dallas Fort Worth 1.45pm, have booked hire car for 3.00pm, then plan to set off to New Orleans & return Fort Worth via Galveston & Houston (over 6 full days + arrival afternoon). Have downloaded travel directions but would love some direction/suggestion as to where to stay/book for first night at least and perhaps other nights too. After 15 hr flight from Oz we don't want to drive more than 50 +/- miles first afternoon and would be very grateful for advice. I can likely work this out from Google Earth but would be most grateful if someone familiar with the area is willing & able to help me. Many, many thanks. Ozzie

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,904 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Fort Worth Tx to New Orleans & return via Houston

If you're only going 50 miles, then there's no reason to even drive anywhere, because that will barely get you out of the Dallas suburbs. I would just plan a night in Arlington or even Downtown Dallas after landing, then feeling out the evening, either going for a night out or just flopping down at the hotel.

You have a few options about what to see and what route to take. For instance, if you're time-crunched, you could take the straight interstate route: I-20 to I-49. Google will route you I-20 to I-49 to I-10, and through Baton Rouge but I would recommend not driving through Baton Rouge, as the traffic tends to be really bad, especially if you don't time the arrival correctly. I-49 south of Lafayette is mostly motorway. You will have to pay $1 to enter New Orleans on the bridge though. The drive is more interesting though, and you'll have a chance to visit Alexandria, Natchitoches (both not as interesting as they sound), Lafayette (nice town) and New Iberia, the latter home Avery Island and the Tabasco factory. http://www.tabasco.com/avery-island/

Another option would be a sort of "Civil War" route, where you drive I-20 to Vicksburg then take US 61 to Natchez, and either cut east on back roads to I-55 or go through Baton Rouge to I-10. Natchez and Vicksburg are both old (for American standards) towns along the Mississippi, known for their battles in the Civil War.

You could also go out to Vicksburg and follow the River Road down to New Orleans. This will add a ton of time, but may be worth it if you're interested in that. As an optional addition of time and scenery, you could follow the Red River from Shreveport, which would mostly put you on back roads following I-49, down to where it meets the Mississippi. The larger Mississippi tributaries often get ignored but can be as interesting as the larger river itself.

On the way back, you can hug the coast in a portion of Louisiana, take the bridge over Sabine Pass to reach Port Arthur, then cut back to I-10. This is a fairly interesting side route, but it adds a tremendous amount of time, partially because of a ferry. On the other hand, it gets you into Abbeville, which is a cute Cajun town, and gives you more coastline.

Hope that gets you started.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Fort Worth Tx to New Orleans & return via Houston

Hi Colinaz

Thank you so very much for your help. I just read it out to my hubby & we shall definitely take your advice and explore the routes that you have suggested. Your help is greatly appreciated & thank you again.

Cheers Ozzieview

3. Re: Road Trip Fort Worth Tx to New Orleans & return via Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 05:18