We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places for kids on the way to Tucson,Az from SoCal?

CA
3 posts
Save Topic
Places for kids on the way to Tucson,Az from SoCal?

We are taking a family vacation in July, driving from Southern California to Tucson,Az and looking for some cool and fun spots to stop at along the way. Places that are suitable for a 4yr old and 6yr old. Also if you have any must visit food stops those would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places for kids on the way to Tucson,Az from SoCal?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

One quick question... Just where in SoCal are you beginning this journey? That will influence routing and what's along the way.

Thanks,

Zed

CA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Places for kids on the way to Tucson,Az from SoCal?

We will be starting in the temecula area. We are pretty familiar with the areas leading out of Ca and will probably be traveling I-10.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places for kids on the way to Tucson,Az from SoCal?

Maybe Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. Or Joshua Tree National Park (northern high desert section), for climbing on the boulders, although they may be a bit young for that.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places for kids on the way to Tucson,Az from SoCal?

Hi,

I was just out in Borrego Springs last weekend to check out the metal animal sculptures along Borrego Springs Rd. Here's my review:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32099-d4173…

Also, here's a site that has quirky roadside attractions that you can find along whatever route you pick:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Zed

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places for kids on the way to Tucson,Az from SoCal?

Taking I-8 is actually a better option to get into Tucson. If you don't absolutely have to drive through Phoenix, then it's best to try and avoid it.

There are the Imperial Dunes. If you take CA 78 east over them, there are a couple of places where you can get out and walk around. The sand may be hot enough to burn you by July though. I don't know that I've ever actually stopped at them in the middle of summer. There's also Dateland, and Yuma has a couple of state parks that deal with Arizona's territorial history. Those may be of interest to you. Again though, it's going to be very, very hot. Even hotter than Tucson will be.

6. Re: Places for kids on the way to Tucson,Az from SoCal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 06:19