We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Atlanta to Vancouver

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Atlanta to Vancouver

Me and a friend are planning a road trip from Atlanta to Vancouver. We are both from the Toronto area and are going to Tomorrow Land in September (driving down from Toronto) . From Atlanta we want to take a nice slow drive up to Vancouver to visit a friend living up there and then from Vancouver drive back to Toronto. I'm a photographer so sightseeing is a must. I'm really excited to stop in Yellowstone National park but that's as far as I've gotten with planning this trip.

We are planning on stopping at cheap hwy side hotels when we get tired so we aren't committed to anything. I'm very open to some routes and places to stop weather it's a great road through the mountains or an amazing diner.

Me and my friend are both early 20's and love the out doors, new experiences and just want to see the world.. possibly on the cheap. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,824 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Atlanta to Vancouver

Quickest route is up to St. Louis, Kansas City, Sioux Falls then across I-90. Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower right on the route. Easy drop down into Yellowstone. Suggest go in via Red Lodge, MT, over Beartooth, down into Lamar Valley. Easy access to Glacier in Montana then across to west coast - Mt Rainier and maybe drop down to Mt. St. Helens. If you have time, and this would take some days, you could drop down and do the Oregon Coast but that might be a bit much.

Another interesting alternative that's only a few hours longer would be heading west on I-70 from KC and hitting Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, then on to Moab, UT for Arches/Canyonlands. You can then head north to SLC and up to Yellowstone, continuing on as mentioned above.

Frankly, I would go with the second route that's just a bit longer and really gives you more unique park opportunities.

Have fun.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Atlanta to Vancouver

I would have you consider the I-20/I-22 to Memphis... Then, drive the more interesting I-40 to the 285 in New Mexico. to Santa Fe, Selecting a scenic route (there are several) to Moab... Then, proceed as above... carracar

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Atlanta to Vancouver

How long do you have for this trip? Its a biggie.

4. Re: Driving from Atlanta to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:18