We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip East Canada, East & West USA, 5 people

Lake Louise, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip East Canada, East & West USA, 5 people

Hello everybody!

I have been already few times in the US but I never did a Road Trip. I am using tripline.net to plan the places that we would like to see. Reading suggestions on tripadvisor and other websites. Everyday I change mind to what and how we should do. I am gettin a bit crazy! and I don't want that the organisation ruines our trip. We are 5 friends (just 1 over 25 years old) working in Lake Louise, we will begin our trip mid of October (maybe too early to think about that?). First we will fly to Quebec and begin our road trip from there. I have heard that renting a car in Canada is more expensive then the US. That's why I have been looking at buses and trains. Because we all are since 1 year in Canada, each of us will have at least 2 luggage.

The trip will continue to Montreal and Toronto, after that to New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC. Still thinking if to go to New Orleans or to fly directly from Washington to San Francisco. We will for sure rent a car or an RV in California (we will check what is the less expensive way).

The problem is when I try to figure out how we should travel in Canada and down to the US East coast. Rent a car from Canada and leave it in Washington (or New Orleans)? I have seen that using a car in New York is more a problem then a comfort??? Do you have any suggestions about how to travel the East Coast? We will have around 18 days time from Quebec to Washington (or New Orleans).

I would really be thankful for every suggestion. If you have any other question about our trip, please ask me :)

Saluti

Elena

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,991 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip East Canada, East & West USA, 5 people

Hi Elena;

First, being under 25 will cost you a fortune to rent a car.

Second, renting a car in Canada and dropping it in New Orleans will be almost impossible. If not, it will be cost prohibitive, as the vehicle must somehow be returned to the point of origin, towed if necessary.

Third, you don't want or need a car in Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto or New York City.

Quebec City to New York City via Montreal & Toronto has a simple answer - VIA Rail's Maple Leaf service.

www.VIARail.ca

New York City to Washington DC, via Philadelphia - Amtrak's Northeast Corridor service.

www.Amtrak.com

I hope that helps to get your started.

Best Regards

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip East Canada, East & West USA, 5 people

In this case it might be best to buy and insure Canadian car ... You would then have it's use for days off... to see other parts of the Canadian Rockies... Road trip done ... One(the registered owner) would need to return it to Canada to sell it ... carracar

Lake Louise, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip East Canada, East & West USA, 5 people

Thank you for your ideas! I did a new itinerary by train. I am going to post it and see if I can find other suggestions :)

4. Re: Trip East Canada, East & West USA, 5 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 06:17