We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

We are planning a road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore. Anyone have any good places to stay, neat places of interest to see along the way or great little out of the way

places to eat?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,837 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

Eat what ? Burgers,rice & noodles Pizza ?? Cross to Michigan... drive the I-94 to the I-80... Stopover in Chicago for the "foodie break" Get on the I-90 to Rapid City ... Where to from there ??? carracar

Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

Thanks carracar for info. We try to stay away from fast food joints but do like good burgers, fries, pizza, sea food, great sandwich joints, Thai food, etc. We are planning on going through Chicago; what do you mean by 'foodie break' ? Is this a restaurant or just good food in general? Yes we are planning on your route to Rapid City. Are these I- highways toll roads?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,371 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

You do have a ferry option from Muskegon to Milwaukee. I think in your case it would save time. Madison, WI would be a nice midway point if you're doing a two-day drive.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,837 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

If you drive the I-94 through Michigan. the tolls will be into and through Chicago... There will be Park and attraction entrance fees... carracar

Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

Thanks I did not know about this ferry but I will check into it.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

Post 4 in this thread will provide many options for Ohio and Michigan.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k6508765…

If interested in Cleveland or Ohio, post on your selected destination forums for food and lodging ideas.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 05:18
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

Don't drive from Chicago to Rapid in a single day. That's way too much. I've made it from Rapid to Rochester MN in one killer day but I wouldn't recommend it.

There isn't much in northern Iowa or Southern MN except for the Iowa Great Lakes around Arnolds Park. They aren't far south of 90.

No toll roads after you leave Chicago (until you get to Seattle - not this trip).

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,837 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

I would think the fare for the ferry mentioned car & occupants would far exceed, your tolerance as to tolls ... carracar

Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

Yes thanks, we don't like to do long drive days. We also like to stop and enjoy the scenery..

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip from Toronto through the US to Mount Rushmore

Sioux Falls, SD is a good stop and has a beautiful park near downtown to visit (Falls Park) with an observation tower and some historical markers. That is also good timing to leave in the morning and drive the Badlands Natl Park Scenic Rd near Interior, SD & Wall, SD as heading towards Rapid City and the Mt Rushmore area. Very different scenery, a must see!

Yes, Chicago is a foodie lovers heaven from what I hear but you may want to post in that forum to get specific restaurant recommendations. Deep dish pizza is what they are known for but it is very upcoming (was even a featured city on Top Chef a few years ago!). Reading on that forum at times, I see a lot of posts regarding a Signature Restaurant on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building for great food and great views.

Most of the SD contributors would be sure to eat the one of the (State Game or Blue Bell) lodges in Custer State Park near Mt Rushmore for the bison stew and other homemade pies, etc. I have read that Cheyenne Crossing restaurant in Lead, SD near Spearfish Canyon is popular and has Indian Tacos I believe. Another high rated restaurant in Hill City is the Alpine Inn. Serves German food at lunch and a set dinner menu of filet I believe.