We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltimore, MD to St. Augustine, FL

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baltimore, MD to St. Augustine, FL

My husband and I are driving to St. Augustine in September for the Mumford & Son's Gentlemen of the Road tour. The show is from September 13th - September 14th & we are planning on hitting the road on Wednesday, September 11th to return Tuesday, September 17th.

We're planning on doing most of our driving on Wednesday, September 11th with stop-offs on the way & then doing an overnight in either Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC. It looks like Charleston would leave us about 4.5 hours away from St. Augustine (from Baltimore) & Savannah would leave us about 3 hours away. We will most likely spend one night & 1 day in whichever city we choose. Would anyone recommend one over the other, recommend a place to stay, etc.? We would probably want to stick between $150 - $200 a night if possible but are flexible.

For the ride home, I'd like to do similiar to our ride to St. Augustine & do the bulk of our driving one day & then overnight in a place about 3-5 hours from home for our final day of driving. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a city or stop that would be good for an overnight & then a day of exploring.- I am guessing that it would have to be in NC or TN, but again, we are flexible & would be open to other suggestions or alternate ideas.

Also, as I am researching, does anyone have recommendations for stops during the trip. We have a National Parks passport and will be keeping our eyes for stop along the way to get stamped. But, if there are any kind of quirky, off the beaten path stops we need to make, I'd love to hear about them.

I am 30 & my husband is 35, we're both fairly adventurous, eating & drinking (especially beer) is a hobby of ours, we have a pretty flexible budget, are into history & really like hearing about off the beaten path stuff to check out.

Thanks in advance for your help - I hope I gave you everything you need!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baltimore, MD to St. Augustine, FL

You may like Savannah because of the lack of an open container law, meaning you can carry drinks around town. There's just one brewpub there (Moon River), but it's somewhat touristy because the building is supposed to be haunted, but they have occasionally had good beers when I've gone. My Pie has an excellent tap selection though. It's a little pizza place right in the tourist area. There is good food available there, but you have to be selective: use Yelp. But I like Savannah better than Charleston, overall.

Tennessee is not on your way at all, unless you're planning a significant detour. You could overnight in Richmond. It's been a few years now, but there is a good brewpub there, Legend, and it's a nice city to visit. For a change of pace, you could also stay in Norfolk and drive back via the Eastern Shore. There will certainly be less traffic, although you'll have to pay the ~$12 toll on the bridge-tunnel.

Hope that gets you started.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 19:49
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Baltimore, MD to St. Augustine, FL

Thanks colinaz.

I actually meant VA, not TN, so thanks for pointing that out!

"I am wondering if anyone could recommend a city or stop that would be good for an overnight & then a day of exploring.- I am guessing that it would have to be in NC or VA, "

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Baltimore, MD to St. Augustine, FL

FC, I recommend Savannah as well. Charleston’s a bit out of the way, so it’s only about ½ hour more getting to Savannah from Baltimore as it is getting to Charleston. That’s going to be a long day from Baltimore to Savannah. I’ve done it, but it’s serious driving.

You mention stop offs on the way. Google Maps gives you 9 ½ hours just hard rolling time from B-more to Savannah. A couple gas stops and an hour’s stretch for lunch somewhere, you’re already over 11 hours. You might check TA’s North Carolina forum for Carolina Ribs or Southern cooking suggestions near I-95. I think I’d ignore Cracker Barrels. Were it me, I’d probably just get something nice enough near the VA-NC border and save it for a good meal in Savannah.

Do you suppose you’re the sorts who can be rolling by 6:00 or 7:00 am? Those days are past for me, but such would be the way to do it.

BTW, South Carolina usually has the best gas prices.

Savannah itself is close to I-95. You’ll want to stay in-town in the historic district near the river. It’s a very walkable place and you’ll be able to enjoy stretching your legs, sight-seeing and people watching, getting a few brews, a good meal and then crash for the night.

There are some lovely walking tours about old Savannah. Maybe one that picks up on the themes of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil would be entertaining. It would be very do-able the next morning with plenty of time to get down to St. Augustine.

Returning’s not as nifty. I guess I’d check out Petersburg, Virginia. We’ve always meant to overnight there, but it’s always seemed to near to be a destination or an overnight on the way home. However, it might fit your specification.

Great Falls, VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baltimore, MD to St. Augustine, FL

If you're not in too much of a hurry you can head to Shenandoah National Park and ride for a few hour on skyline drive as it offers magnificent views of surrounding countryside from 3,000 feet up. Note the speed limit on skyline drive is 35 MPH and there is a $15 entrance fee and only one gas station at mile 52. Also this route will take you on a more western route on I-81 and I-77 before connecting with i-95 just north of Savannah, which overall is a much more scenic route than i-95 in my opinion.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baltimore, MD to St. Augustine, FL

On the way back, if you haven't already been, I would recommend Jamestown/Yorktown/Williamsburg. Great history stop. You can take 17 back up to 301 and zip on up to Baltimore. I would choose Savannah over Charleston for a little more laid back. It will be more like 11 hrs though.

6. Re: Baltimore, MD to St. Augustine, FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16